Ben Harper. What next?

mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Hello. I have Both sides of the gun and i just bought diamonds on the inside on sunday and i really love these albums. Can anyone recommend what to get next? Any i really need to hear or miss? or are they all pretty much the same caliber?

Word

Dave
Dublin 2006
Katowice 2007
London 2007
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    each album of Ben Harper is good.
    I recommend you "burn to shine" (my favorite) and "live from mars" (good overview of his first albums).
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Cool thanks for the reply
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Hmm, I actually didn't really like the two new albums. I used to be a huge fan (saw him over 15 times)

My reccomendations would be (in this order)

1. The Will To Live (his best record)
    2. Welcome to the Cruel World
    3. Fight For Your Mind
    4. Burn to Shine
    5. Both Sides
    6. Diamonds

the first 3 are must haves in my opinion and i assume i'm not alone
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Live from Mars

Its live album 2cd but it is amazing.
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I'd say get Live From Mars next, but you pretty much can't go wrong. Ben's awesome:) I can't wait to see him live again.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Live on Mars was my introduction to him and none of his studio albums have really come close to matching it for me. but if you really want an earlier studio album, go with "Fight For Your Mind"
  • Fight For Your Mind is the best IMO.
    NERDS!
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Live From Mars is the shiznite, especially disc 1!
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Studio albums: "Burn to Shine" and "The Will to Live".
    Before to buy them, you should try "Live from Mars". It has a bit of everything: covers, acoustic songs, guitars. It's great. I like the versions of Fade/Whole lotta love, Like a king/I'll Rise and Power of the Gospel.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
    Thanks for everyone who posted. I'll see if i can pick up a copy of live from mars in the next week or so. Also my local music zone is selling fight for your mind for £5 so i'll probably pick up up a copy of that too. It won't be too long before i have the entire collection i think, really liking ben at the minuite (we're on first name basis now)Cheers.

Dave
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • mole1985 wrote:
    Thanks for everyone who posted. I'll see if i can pick up a copy of live from mars in the next week or so. Also my local music zone is selling fight for your mind for £5 so i'll probably pick up up a copy of that too. It won't be too long before i have the entire collection i think, really liking ben at the minuite (we're on first name basis now)Cheers.

Dave
    There is also a set that include the first three albums. You can usually find it at the record store.
    NERDS!
    There is also a set that include the first three albums. You can usually find it at the record store.

These sets have been discontinued (at least for the UK). I found one on amazon but it would be cheaper to but them seperatly. Music zone seem to be selling most of Harper's work for £5 each. Bargin.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I've always liked what I've heard of Ben Harper, but as of yet haven't bought any of his albums.
    Thing is, I just don't know where to start.
    As I haven't heard a single Harper album, which should be the one to set me on my way?
    Not a big reggae fan, more into rock. Should that sway my decision????
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
    The Will to Live!!

The Will to Live!!

yes, Live from Mars might be the best choice to pick up first but get The Will to Live!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    pirlo21 wrote:
    I've always liked what I've heard of Ben Harper, but as of yet haven't bought any of his albums.
    Thing is, I just don't know where to start.
    As I haven't heard a single Harper album, which should be the one to set me on my way?
    Not a big reggae fan, more into rock. Should that sway my decision????

Well i've only got both sides and diamonds but every song on the album is different. On Diamonds for example you have 1 track reggea, next one is a slow acoustic another a rock song, another has a lady black smith on it. They are very diverse. I got both sides first and then diamonds but it looks like you cant go to far wrong, i'd say diamonds is slightly better then both sides of the gun.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I would say Burn To Shine is his hardest rocking Studio album. The Will To Live and Fight For Your Mind are great albums, too. I also really like Both Sides of the Gun, especially the electric disc. Live From Mars is a great live overview.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Fight for your mind is his best work in my opinion
    mole1985 wrote:
    Well i've only got both sides and diamonds but every song on the album is different. On Diamonds for example you have 1 track reggea, next one is a slow acoustic another a rock song, another has a lady black smith on it. They are very diverse. I got both sides first and then diamonds but it looks like you cant go to far wrong, i'd say diamonds is slightly better then both sides of the gun.

I think the "diversity" is the one thing that i don't like about Ben anymore. I much preffered the focused albums of his earlier days. He basically just brings in studio musicians (many of them) as opposed to playing with a core band like the Innocent Criminals. To me it reminds me of why I really don't care for Paul Simon records. Well...that and the fact that he's a cock:)
    Cheers Hendrix78. Bought myself 'Burn To Shine' on your recomendation over the weekend. It's superb.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
    No where had live from mars so i bought 'fight for your mind'. I'm on track 4 and its so far so good. I think i'll grow to be a big fan of Ben.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    if u can find a copy of "will to live" with the bonus live cd its great!.
    wicked,ear bleeding(thats a good thing) version of voodoo chile
    it just screams.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Cheers Hendrix78. Bought myself 'Burn To Shine' on your recomendation over the weekend. It's superb.
    Thanks for your help.

Glad to be of help. I would follow it up with Fight For Your Mind and The Will To Live. Then get Live on Mars to hear awesome live versions of songs from those albums.

The live versions of Forgiven and Faded/Whole Lotta Love on Mars are ridiculous.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Glad to be of help. I would follow it up with Fight For Your Mind and The Will To Live. Then get Live on Mars to hear awesome live versions of songs from those albums.

The live versions of Forgiven and Faded/Whole Lotta Love on Mars are ridiculous.

agreed. ben harper live is nothing like his cd's
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hmm, I actually didn't really like the two new albums. I used to be a huge fan (saw him over 15 times)

My reccomendations would be (in this order)

1. The Will To Live (his best record)
    2. Welcome to the Cruel World
    3. Fight For Your Mind
    4. Burn to Shine
    5. Both Sides
    6. Diamonds

the first 3 are must haves in my opinion and i assume i'm not alone

wow I'm right there with you. Fight for your Mind was my first and has a special place in my heart along with Burn to Shine because of my college years but I think my order would be the same as yours.

The first 3 are absolute classics and Burn to Shine is very good as well just not AS good as the first 3.

He dosesn't really produce Bad music per say, but Diamonds just isn't as good on the whole as the first ones.

I think the new album is very good as well but again, the first 3 or 4 were just insanely good.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Listened to 'fight for your mind' twice and it is amazing. Hasn't got the diversity of 'Diamonds' but it hits a really good spot.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    Cheers once agiain Hendrix78. Already been on amazon to order Live on Mars.
    Heard some sample track, sounds amazing.
    Cymru Am Byth