Options

The new Ben record

PJ SparksPJ Sparks Posts: 83
edited March 2006 in Other Music
I don't know if someone's mentioned it yet, but the new Ben Harper record, Both Sides of the Gun, kicks ass! You feelin' me? Buy it already.

PJ Sparks
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    PJ Sparks wrote:
    I don't know if someone's mentioned it yet, but the new Ben Harper record, Both Sides of the Gun, kicks ass! You feelin' me? Buy it already.

PJ Sparks

Where? It doesn't come out for a week...
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    I can only think of two bands/artists that can make me cry, that's Pearl Jam and Ben Harper. I am deeply passionate about both bands. I hope Ben would open up for PJ for a few dates. That would kick ass!
  • Options
    PJ SparksPJ Sparks Posts: 83
    Are you sure its not out today? I haven't had a chance to go to the store yet today, but downloaded a copy off mininova.org. I just had to hear it.

Its awesome, whether you cave now and download it, or if you (I guess) wait another week. It'll still be great.

PJ Sparks
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yeah a very kind fellow on this board gave me a link to download the whole album (of course I will buy it when it comes out), and it is quite amazing. A perfect balance of all the elements of his music that make him such a unique artist. I can't stop listening to the song Picture In A Frame, it blows me away. Anyone who's ever liked anything he's done should check this cd out, hell everyone should check this cd out, it has stone-cold classic written all over it.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    parts of it are BRIILIANT. black rain, better way, both sides of the gun and few others. for me, nothing compares to "welcome to the cruel world" and "fight for your mind" those albums are amazing back to front. the new ben harper album SOUNDS great, but the lyrics seem lazy, and dare i say down right sappy in a lot of parts. i enjoyed when ben had more meaningful lyrics. songs like "fight for your mind", "excuse me mr", "people lead", "oppression", "welcome to the cruel world", "give a man a home", "dont take that attitude to your grave", "how many miles must we march", "pleasure and pain", "ill rise", "homeless child", "jah work", "the will to live", & "glory and consequence", made me FEEL something, they put a great artist even a step higher, dare i say to the hight of PEARL JAM in as far as the emotional connection to the socially relevent content of the songs. this new album has a few songs like this, but it is, to me, more of a musical masterpiece rather than a lyrical and socially relevent one. a good album for sure, but i KNOW ben can do better than the repetitive style and sub par lyrical content provided on this effort. still nice to have new harper spinning however, and i maight reconsider my opinions on these songs when i see him live. still one of the best shows on planet earth.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    robbie wrote:
    parts of it are BRIILIANT. black rain, better way, both sides of the gun and few others. for me, nothing compares to "welcome to the cruel world" and "fight for your mind" those albums are amazing back to front. the new ben harper album SOUNDS great, but the lyrics seem lazy, and dare i say down right sappy in a lot of parts. i enjoyed when ben had more meaningful lyrics. songs like "fight for your mind", "excuse me mr", "people lead", "oppression", "welcome to the cruel world", "give a man a home", "dont take that attitude to your grave", "how many miles must we march", "pleasure and pain", "ill rise", "homeless child", "jah work", "the will to live", & "glory and consequence", made me FEEL something, they put a great artist even a step higher, dare i say to the hight of PEARL JAM in as far as the emotional connection to the socially relevent content of the songs. this new album has a few songs like this, but it is, to me, more of a musical masterpiece rather than a lyrical and socially relevent one. a good album for sure, but i KNOW ben can do better than the repetitive style and sub par lyrical content provided on this effort. still nice to have new harper spinning however, and i maight reconsider my opinions on these songs when i see him live. still one of the best shows on planet earth.

I hear what you are saying, but sometimes songs can be about a simple message sang in simple words, and to me this is what this album is all about, and In my opinion it isn't necessarily any less effective. And in terms of social relevance, simple words may perhaps be more accessible to the more casual fan, perhaps leaving a bigger impression. I like how cohesive the album is, each disc has a great flow to it.