Songs to remember by.......................

JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
edited May 2007 in Other Music
So anyway, inspired by Pedge's thread about inspirational songs, I was wondering what songs remind you of a loved one or friend that has died?

I think music is the "soundtrack to our lives" and particular songs can remind you of all the good times, the laughter, the happiness, the tears and the fears that you shared with your loved one. A song can bring your dear departed to you in an instant, from the opening chords and for a brief time you can remember and smile. :)

What song embodies your loved one and why?
NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
The currents will shift
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    So my mate Pat has been gone 10 years this week and I still miss him every day. He was a great bloke who loved to play and perform and I can't hear Lynard Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama without thinking of him. This was one of the songs on his regular set list and always got everybody bopping. I've got some great memories of fun nights, kicking back in a bar or pub, watching Pat play. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLklsj_5HI
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Low light- when my cat died
    Come Back-my husbands grandad who passed away
    In Hiding- travelling up to the city in a car with my two good mates who just won the local football grandfinal, and the only two people I knew at the time who loved PJ
    Breath- the movie Singles

yeah, theyre my memories. Not especially important to you, but mine all the same.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    Jeanie wrote:
    So my mate Pat has been gone 10 years this week and I still miss him every day. He was a great bloke who loved to play and perform and I can't hear Lynard Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama without thinking of him. This was one of the songs on his regular set list and always got everybody bopping. I've got some great memories of fun nights, kicking back in a bar or pub, watching Pat play. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLklsj_5HI
    R.I.P Pat.

My mate has been gone ten years next year.
    My thoughts are with you.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    R.I.P Pat.

My mate has been gone ten years next year.
    My thoughts are with you.

thanks yellow, and mine with you. :)

I just love how the music, the songs are like a celebration of that person and if they pop up randomly it's almost like they're speaking to you, reminding you not to forget! As if you could! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Low light- when my cat died
    Come Back-my husbands grandad who passed away
    In Hiding- travelling up to the city in a car with my two good mates who just won the local football grandfinal, and the only two people I knew at the time who loved PJ
    Breath- the movie Singles

yeah, theyre my memories. Not especially important to you, but mine all the same.

:) But memories are all we have, and sharing them with others is a great way to honor someone.:)

They are great songs, and great memories yellow, thanks for sharing. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    thanks yellow, and mine with you. :)

I just love how the music, the songs are like a celebration of that person and if they pop up randomly it's almost like they're speaking to you, reminding you not to forget! As if you could! :)
    i completely agree! Im a huge beiever of 'signs' and especially through songs. I love the fact that a song can be moulded and interpreted into your own personal feelings and memories!
    i completely agree! Im a huge beiever of 'signs' and especially through songs. I love the fact that a song can be moulded and interpreted into your own personal feelings and memories!

Exactly!! :)

Songs hold so many different meanings and memories for everyone.

I love how it's all personal interpretation. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    One of my dearest friends and greatest confidants died a fortnight ago. My beautiful granny. She'd been asking me for YEARS to sing at her funeral. SING at her funeral!! :eek: I brushed her off, I explained why I didn't think it was such a good idea, I changed the subject, I did everything I could short of just saying no. But she just kept asking, kept reminding me.
    So the day I'd been dreading finally arrived and I knew it was going to be THE SINGLE WORST PERFORMANCE OF MY LIFE!! And it was!! I howled like a baby, I lost my voice, I shook, I was off key, I wished for a hole in the floor to swallow me up! But I did it! As she asked of me. And I just hope that made her happy. :)

So here it is, the song she so wanted to have see her out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5WpBfQFbY

Thank you so much cutback and onelongsong for helping me get the track the night before the funeral. I'm so grateful to you both for all you did to help a nutty overtired, over emotional, technologically challenged Aussie in the middle of the night! I owe you both a drink. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    lyle lovett....matt loved lyle lovett....no matter what song i hear from him i think of matt....:o
    cutback wrote:
    lyle lovett....matt loved lyle lovett....no matter what song i hear from him i think of matt....:o

Hope you don't mind cb. :o But I owe you a song to remember someone by.
    So here's 4.39mins to remember Matt by. Hope it brings happy memories. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJ0RuOeqCI
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Jeanie wrote:
    Hope you don't mind cb. :o But I owe you a song to remember someone by.
    So here's 4.39mins to remember Matt by. Hope it brings happy memories. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJ0RuOeqCI

thanks darlin'......nothin' but good memories.....:)
    cutback wrote:
    thanks darlin'......nothin' but good memories.....:)

Phew! :eek:

Well I'm glad. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • blue rosesblue roses Posts: 49
    smile- when ı think about my ex boy friend
    come back-when ı think about my mom
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Angel always brings up thoughts of my auntie.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    blue roses wrote:
    smile- when ı think about my ex boy friend
    come back-when ı think about my mom

:) both are great songs, blue. I'm glad they bring loved ones to mind for you. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    audiodave wrote:
    Angel always brings up thoughts of my auntie.

:) Angel by Sarah McLachlan, Dave? I love that song. It's such a beautiful melody, and amazing lyrics and Sarah does such a great job of it. :)

I'm glad it brings your auntie to you for a brief time. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Jeanie wrote:
    :) Angel by Sarah McLachlan, Dave? I love that song. It's such a beautiful melody, and amazing lyrics and Sarah does such a great job of it. :)

I'm glad it brings your auntie to you for a brief time. :)
    Um...I don't know who she is. :o

I was referring to the PJ song.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Colours by Crossfade..It was my best friend's favorite song right before he had his accident.. He would make me listen to it even though he knew I hated that band...but now I could listen to it over and over again
    audiodave wrote:
    Um...I don't know who she is. :o

I was referring to the PJ song.

:o my turn to be embarrassed. sorry. :o

I don't think I've heard Angel by PJ. :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Colours by Crossfade..It was my best friend's favorite song right before he had his accident.. He would make me listen to it even though he knew I hated that band...but now I could listen to it over and over again

I completely understand jelly. I cannot believe that I can listen to Mull of Kintyre or Sweet Home Alabama at all! Let alone repeatedly.
    It's funny how a loved one can change your life and your opinions even when they're gone. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Love Boat Captain reminds me of my friend that passed away from a brain tumor. Right around when Riot Act came out was one of his rough times. He was fading fast. I didn't feel bad about downloading Riot Act early. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to comprehend it if I had waited.

Also Like a Stone does it for me as well. That was one of his faves right before his condition got real bad.

R.I.P. Colin
    NERDS!
    Love Boat Captain reminds me of my friend that passed away from a brain tumor. Right around when Riot Act came out was one of his rough times. He was fading fast. I didn't feel bad about downloading Riot Act early. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to comprehend it if I had waited.

Also Like a Stone does it for me as well. That was one of his faves right before his condition got real bad.

R.I.P. Colin

Thanks for sharing SoS. :) And nice work on the download, I'm quite sure that anyone could see the beauty of your motive. :)
    Hope your memories of Colin are with you each and everytime you hear those songs. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Uncle Bruce-You're missing

Warren Zevon-Ill be in your heart for awhile
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i no longer listen to
    breaking benjamin - phobia album
    sarah mclachlan - surfacing album

and certain JET songs because, well... just because. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Sometimes and Off He Goes by PJ
    The Nirvana unplugged can quite often bring tears.
    There is more I'll add later.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Always think about my friend Brian that was killed in an accident when we were in our early teens, whenever I hear John Cougar Mellencamp's **insert whatever variation of his surnames we are up to here** Jack and Diane.
    Especially the chorus, "Oh yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone" and that's exactly how it felt. Still does.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    So it's nearly 7 months since we lost Gran and today is her birthday, so I'm going to crank Patsy, open a can and drink to her. :) One of the greatest human beings I've had the privilege to know and love. She would have been 89. Not a bad innings. :) So HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lade, I love you and I'm singing up. :)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkM7K6smQA
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    here it is, the greatest song.

A Fond Farewell To A Friend.............by Elliott Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C7rASPXEY8
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • eternal flame by the bangles gets me a bit emotional even though i don't associate it with anyone in particular.

that's the beauty of music, yes. it transports you back instantaneously, whether it's riding on a bus as summer arrives or sitting in a dark room as winter sets in. films take at least an hour and a half to give you this feeling. books even longer.
  • Never Seen Blue by Tori Amos and Caymen by Mira remind me of my dog Cain who died 10 years ago.