The tea party rock-ed

SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
edited September 2006 in Other Music
god damnit. One of my favourite bands split up and I STILL can't get over it. Seriously that was so stupid of jeff to leave the band, and his new album he released is pretty crappy. God damnit, there is no other bands out there that wield rock and middle eastern influence into amazing music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I saw Jeff and his new band open for Live and it wasn't that great. He does have some nice guitars though.
  • Yep, the Tea Party was awesome. Big fan here.
    And yes, Jeff's new stuff sucks pretty bad, except maybe 1 or 2 songs...
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Tea Party's first album is a classic
    Master of Zen
  • Man the Tea Party had 3.5 really good albums up to and including Alhambra/Transmission and then just went down hill in my books. Jeff Martin took himself way too seriously and then got lead singer ego syndrome and figured he was the Tea Party, but his solo stuff has lacked the Jeff Burrows drumming and is just too mellow (imo). The Tea Party live show kicked serious ass though. I always thought they should do a live album.

I do wish they would get back together and write a heavy rocking album like Splendor Solis or EOT again. I see that Jeff Burrows is playing with Rush for the Trailer Park Boys movie.
    Barrie: 08/22/98 Boston 09 28-29/04
    Buffalo 05/02/03 Hamilton 09/13/05
    Kitchener: 09/11/05 London:09/12/05
    Montreal: 06/29/03, 09/15/05 Ottawa: 09/16/05 Toronto:9/21/96, 10/05/00, 06/28/03, 09/19/05, 05/09-10/06
  • I actually like all their CDs. If I had to give them ratings it would be something like:

Transmission: 10
    Edges of Twilight: 10
    Interzone Mantras: 9.5
    TRIPtych: 9
    Alhambra: 9
    Seven Circles: 8.5
    Splendor Solis: 8.5

And that masterpiece of a song called "Walking Wounded", in their greatest hits CD: 20

I so regret never seeing them live.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    With a band name like that how could I miss it? I love tea parties! I guess I need to find a CD. How would you describe their music. How would you finish this sentence, if you like XXXX you would like Tea Party?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    With a band name like that how could I miss it? I love tea parties! I guess I need to find a CD. How would you describe their music. How would you finish this sentence, if you like XXXX you would like Tea Party?

Mmm, it's actually very hard to categorize...
    They have an accoustic album or ep (alhambra), a more hard-rock/elctronic album (transmission), 3 more alternative/rock-pop rock albums (seven circles, TRIPtych, interzone mantras), and 2 weird ass albums that I have no idea how to categorize, but that rule so much (Edges of twilight and Splendor Solis).
    I don't if anyone will agree with me, but maybe I would describe them as alternative rock with a lot of mid-eastern/indian influences... or something. Crap I don't know :P

Well, if you want to get started on them check the "Transmission" or the "Edges of twilight" albums.
    If you want to download some songs, get:
    - Walking wounded
    - Psychopomp
    - Cathartik
    - Walk with me

These should give you an idea.
  • I like them but how many times has Jeff used the word "soul" in his lyrics?
  • i like Jeff new album it just needs a few listens. Lament is an awesome song. Im not surprised they broke up its obvious they had nowhere left to go after Seven Cirles. The band had run it course and will always remain a fav of mine. They farkn rocked!
    "...follow the strangest tribe..." - pj

www.flickr.com/photos/vainch

http://loveanddestruction.blogspot.com/

http://www.davidveentjer.com
  • Man the Tea Party had 3.5 really good albums up to and including Alhambra/Transmission and then just went down hill in my books. Jeff Martin took himself way too seriously and then got lead singer ego syndrome and figured he was the Tea Party, but his solo stuff has lacked the Jeff Burrows drumming and is just too mellow (imo). The Tea Party live show kicked serious ass though. I always thought they should do a live album.

I do wish they would get back together and write a heavy rocking album like Splendor Solis or EOT again. I see that Jeff Burrows is playing with Rush for the Trailer Park Boys movie.

I agree with this assessment, they were good once but somehow their music began to sound less "natural" and kind of forced in the post Transmission days. Plus, as you said, Jeff turned out to be almost as big a wanker as Scott Stapp. Weren't they gonna work together on something?
  • I guess I side with the majority here, in that I think Splendor Solis and Edges of Twilight (including the acoustic revamp of EOT songs on Alhambra) kicked royally ass. Other albums were ok, but Interzone wasn't any good, so they lost me there.

I love that middle eastern edge to music. Only other band I can think of that also does so at times is actually System Of a Down. But Tea Party are a lot more consistent about it. Get Edges Of Twilight, and check out "the Bazaar", "Sister Awake" (def this one) and "Turn the lights down low". Great stuff.

Too bad he seems to be a wanker, as someone already said. :p

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Tea Party is one of my favorite bands of all time. Yeah, Jeff fucked that band up or so it seems. He's always been an ego maniac and I guess it caught up with the band. Too bad.

That said...Tea Party is a band I see having at least a 75% chance of getting back together once the bad air is cleared.