Options

how tool deals with leaks

nosajh9nosajh9 Akron, Ohio Posts: 122
edited March 2006 in Other Music
9/22/96 Toledo, OH. 8/26/98 Cuyahoga Falls, OH. 8/21/00 Columbus, OH. 8/25/03 Cleveland, OH. 8/26/03 Pittsburgh, PA. 10/03/04 Grand Rapids, MI. 5/20/06 Cleveland, OH. 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, PA. 6/22/08 Washington, DC. 5/06/10 Columbus, OH. 5/09/10 Cleveland, OH. 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nosajh9 wrote:

I dont get it. It just leads me to a Tool fansite, I dont see any info on leaks.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    by releasing a boring album so there is no interest in the follow up.

ZING!
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I don't know how to navigate that shit...Just tell us how Tool deals with leaks
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Basically the band is personally present for the listening parties that have been occurring for members of the press. Rather than sending out advance copies of the disc or even just having someone from the company take care of it, the band is in the room while the record is played. The interview on the toolshed site explains that at the end of the listening party, Maynard walked to the CD player, ejected the disc and personally took it with him. So basically the band is taking full responsibility upon themselves, so it is up to them whether or not the record gets in the wrong hands.

Thus far to the best of my knowledge this has worked, because I have yet to be able to track down anything from that record, and it comes out the same day as the new PJ.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good way to go about it, maybe PJ should take a page from that book...I would be scared to leak Tool anyway. I wouldn't want that Maynard guy coming after me and pulling some crazy karate shit.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    culot4 wrote:
    Sounds like a good way to go about it, maybe PJ should take a page from that book...I would be scared to leak Tool anyway. I wouldn't want that Maynard guy coming after me and pulling some crazy karate shit.

It is an interesting method of dealing with things, personally I think worrying about leaks and stuff as much as some bands do is just kind of silly and really not nearly as significant as it is often made out to be. If people are excited enough about your music to distribute the songs in whatever clandestine channels they can find, take the compliment and move on with things. As far as I am concerned, it is basically underground fan promotion that the band doesn't have to pay for, it builds up hype and interest, which is something bands pay promoters and record companies a lot of money to do (and which they often fail at, because record companies are forever out of touch with the fans).

I will just say that I am more excited about the PJ record now than I was a week ago. ;)
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    It is an interesting method of dealing with things, personally I think worrying about leaks and stuff as much as some bands do is just kind of silly and really not nearly as significant as it is often made out to be. If people are excited enough about your music to distribute the songs in whatever clandestine channels they can find, take the compliment and move on with things. As far as I am concerned, it is basically underground fan promotion that the band doesn't have to pay for, it builds up hype and interest, which is something bands pay promoters and record companies a lot of money to do (and which they often fail at, because record companies are forever out of touch with the fans).

I will just say that I am more excited about the PJ record now than I was a week ago. ;)

I don't know I think that depends. My example is this: The Strokes last album leaked in its entirety a good month before its release date. I downloaded the leak but I never bought the album and I would have if I hadn't already gotten it early. Obviously PJ falls into a different category than the Strokes but its an example of a band losing money because I represent a % of soft core fans that did the exact same thing. Add up all those people and I'm sure you're dealing with significant dollar amounts. There are the fans who just want the sneak preview and will buy it anyway and then there are the fans that would have bought it but they got the leak instead and used that money on something else...I think thats the huge problem with leaked material. I think its more an artist protecting their pocket then protecting their art.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    culot4 wrote:
    I don't know I think that depends. My example is this: The Strokes last album leaked in its entirety a good month before its release date. I downloaded the leak but I never bought the album and I would have if I hadn't already gotten it early. Obviously PJ falls into a different category than the Strokes but its an example of a band losing money because I represent a % of soft core fans that did the exact same thing. Add up all those people and I'm sure you're dealing with significant dollar amounts. There are the fans who just want the sneak preview and will buy it anyway and then there are the fans that would have bought it but they got the leak instead and used that money on something else...I think thats the huge problem with leaked material. I think its more an artist protecting their pocket then protecting their art.

since we are sliding off topic with the strokes I'll add this, I got a copy of The Strokes album before it came out and therefore didn't but it. I really like it and as a result just dropped $50 for a ticket to go see them that I might have been on the fence to not hearing the record. Ask Jules what he would rather making a quarter from a cd sale or eight bucks off concert revenue. so in the end it's all relative.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Basically the band is personally present for the listening parties that have been occurring for members of the press. Rather than sending out advance copies of the disc or even just having someone from the company take care of it, the band is in the room while the record is played. The interview on the toolshed site explains that at the end of the listening party, Maynard walked to the CD player, ejected the disc and personally took it with him. So basically the band is taking full responsibility upon themselves, so it is up to them whether or not the record gets in the wrong hands.

Thus far to the best of my knowledge this has worked, because I have yet to be able to track down anything from that record, and it comes out the same day as the new PJ.

this is a really awesome idea. i think bands need to get smarter about protecting their music, especially because the mainstream isn't in the favor of rock music right now. album sales are low enough as it is because of radio, mtv, etc. perpetuating the same pop shit.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    yeh i agree as well.

good one for posting
  • Options
    I'm surprised Tool cares that much about leaks, I'd have thought they wouldnt care that much about the business part of it.

I think leaking is a no-win situation for bands and labels. On the one hand, they want people to know about an album (magazines writing about it before or shortly after the release etc.) and to accomplish that they have to hand out previews and promos. If they dont do that, they may avoid leaking but they avoid buzz as well. Even if Maynard is in the room, the media people could still record it without him knowing. The quality would suck obviously but it would still be a leak. The only way to be completely sure would be to just keep the number of people as low as possible and even then some studio intern could leak it.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Tool takes it 10x further than any other band.

For Lateralus, they took it to random peoples houses and let them listen.

Everyone that even sees it, let alone listens to it, has to sign a confidentiality agreement and cant even describe what songs sound like.

They record in a hidden location. I have a friend who is in with the guys in Pygmy Love Circus and they would only tell him the general vicinity of Tool's studio.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I don't consider myself a fan of Tool, but I always had this impression of the singer that he is a perfectionist and/or control freak. Please correct me if I have misunderstood--like I said, I don't follow them--but those measures already described here seem like those of someone who protects him/herself to a much higher degree than most of the rest of us.

If he's trying to prevent material from being heard before May 2nd, I think he's found an effective way to do it.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Tool want complete control of everything. If you havent realized, when it comes to public dealings and such, Tool can seem fairly pompous.
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Tool takes it 10x further than any other band.

For Lateralus, they took it to random peoples houses and let them listen.

Everyone that even sees it, let alone listens to it, has to sign a confidentiality agreement and cant even describe what songs sound like.

They record in a hidden location. I have a friend who is in with the guys in Pygmy Love Circus and they would only tell him the general vicinity of Tool's studio.

Lateralus leaked way ahead of the release date.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    God aren't people annoyed by cheesy, pretensious lyrics and palm muting yet?
  • Options
    Yeah, I dont think it has nearly as much to do with "business" as it does with control. Frankly, I think its cool...Tool is one of the very, very few rock bands that has managed to maintain an air of mysticism with their work. People dont tend to know much about them, aside from what the band wants them to know, or in the case of their frequent misinformation campaigns, what they want them to think. Its a mindfuck, and its a gimmic on some level, but I like it.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    totally. palm muting is lame. I like your screenname, too...no one in pearl jam would ever employ such a useless, hacky technique.

Now...back to playing the intro to wishlist on my guitar.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options

Palm muting is somethin used by every guitarist. Adam Jones is an amazing guitarist. He is a technical whiz on the guitar and he is a master of his effects. Say what you want about him, but try to play a song in one of Danny Carey's crazy time signatures and you will realize that he is pretty damn good.

Whats so cheesy about their lyrics. I would say Maynard is one of the most thought provoking song writers ever.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    I can't believe someone is criticizing a guitarist for palm muting. I feel like I am in another dimension.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    since we are sliding off topic with the strokes I'll add this, I got a copy of The Strokes album before it came out and therefore didn't but it. I really like it and as a result just dropped $50 for a ticket to go see them that I might have been on the fence to not hearing the record. Ask Jules what he would rather making a quarter from a cd sale or eight bucks off concert revenue. so in the end it's all relative.

You didn't buy the album??????

It's not about $0.25, it's about the # sold. It gives a band more pull with the record company. The Strokes really needed to sell albums in this country and their fans didn't back them.

If you care about them, pick up a copy.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    I can't believe someone is criticizing a guitarist for palm muting. I feel like I am in another dimension.

Nobody is criticizing the technique. I'm criticizing the frequency and unoriginality of it from Adam Jones.

Boring band.
  • Options
    I find it amazing how you listen and watch a band like Pearl Jam progress so respectfully, and then you watch people like Maynard progress. That guy is a media manipulator to the max. Total hype salesman.
  • Options
    JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    I heard a few minutes of "Vicarious" on MySpace. Within an hour after I heard it, the page was taken down.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Whats so cheesy about their lyrics. I would say Maynard is one of the most thought provoking song writers ever.

Huh??! :O Say that again!..... the lyrics are so cheesy.... and kinda emo at times, such as this from 'the patient' "is this a test, it has to be, otherwise i can't go on"

I do like his voice/melodies a lot though! Just hate his lyrics.
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Nobody is criticizing the technique. I'm criticizing the frequency and unoriginality of it from Adam Jones.

Boring band.

Jones uses moere techniques and tools than both Mccready and Gossard. Mccready has been playing the same solo for 10 years . Compare all of tools cd's and just listen to the Evolution of all of there playing and styles.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Tool's guitar player sucks. They have a crazy rhythm section though
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    mrwalkerb wrote:

I just saw that show last night. Really Loud and Julian was really drunk. That said it was an excellent show and the Eagles of Death Metal should open the 2nd leg of the Pearl Jam tour :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Tool's guitar player sucks. They have a crazy rhythm section though

Do you happen to play guitar. If you don't then you really dont know what you are talkin about. If you do, you should realize how good he is.

True, what he does isnt always the most impressive, but his ability to play in odd time-sigs, shifting time sigs, and different sounding time sigs from the drummer is pretty impressive.

I wish he would combine what he did on Undertow with the new stuff. Once you get the timing of the new stuff its all pretty easy stuff, but figuring the timing out can be a real bitch.

Also, there arent many guitarist that have a sound as good or recognizable as his.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    haha, i love when people say "no one in pearl jam would..." or "if it were pearl jam then they wouldn't..."

..uh, maybe cause, they're not pearl jam?

everyone has different ways of doing things... this way seems very maynard-esque to me for some reason. unless he really was thinking at the time "hey i wonder if that eddie guy is doing this too..." which i'm sure was a strong... possibility...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam