Wilco - Summerteeth

r1versr1vers Posts: 244
edited March 2008 in Other Music
While there is a decent amount of wilco talk on here, there is never summerteeth talk let alone a thread devoted to it. If you haven't heard this album, acquire it promptly. If you have, discuss its greatness. I really don't know what more to say, just needed to profess my love for this one.
"Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    great band possibly the best band in the world right now... sky blue sky wasn't as good as their last few though

shot in the arm and via chicago are classic wilco tracks.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Summerteeth was my first Wilco album and to be honest I thought it was rubbish until I heard the other albums. WAY too self pitious in a really annoying way, but good when in relation to the entire back catalogue.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    My first Wilco purchase was Kicking Television, but my first studio album was Summerteeth. I'd come across a comparison between Pet Sounds and Summerteeth shortly before buying the CD. I assumed this just meant it was supposed to be a defining, breakthrough album - I was not expected a 60's pop influenced album!

This is the one Wilco album other than Sky Blue Sky that took a few months to sink in for me. I have to admit there are still a couple songs in there I simply dislike ("ELT," "Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again)"), but "She's a Jar," "Via Chicago" and "Summer Teeth" are among my favorites, so overall I do love the CD now.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Summerteeth is my favorite Wilco album. Pieholden Suite is quite possibly one of the greatest songs ever. And songs 5-9 are possibly the best sequence of songs on any album.

Summerteeth is the album that got me into Wilco.
    Cock Fight.
  • It would be impossible for me to rank their albums, but this album has got so many great songs... Via Chicago, Candyfloss, Always in Love, Summerteeth, Shot in the Arm, She's a Jar, ELT, etc. that I think that song-for-song it could be their greatest.

Jay did go a bit overboard on the production, but those songs would be great even without all the polish.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pure pop rock brillance
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    surprised at all the ELT hate..but yeah, regardless the segment from 5-9 is solid. how to fight loneliness deserves a shoutout too...

and summer teeth the song has really great lyrics.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I am among the few who regard this as Wilco's finest album. Most people would say Foxtrot is their defining moment because of the record label controversy. But I say they never could've been the champions that Foxtrot and Ghost made them if they hadn't made Summerteeth first.

It has some of the best pop songs you'll ever hear from a rock band. I know it was a different lineup of musicians then, but the Jeff/John core is still in tact. Those songs played pretty well in the recent Residency, proving that Jay and Leroy leaving didn't end the viability of Summerteeth.

Personally, I am disappointed this album gets overlooked in concert in much the same way Pearl Jam overlooks No Code and Binaural. I hope the revival via the Residency shows means a return of more Summerteeth to the overall live Wilco experience.

They are great songs. They just need a chance to be played in front of people who will appreciate them, in order to garner a more favorable perception.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Brilliant album. Definitely one of their best moments.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    summerteeth is the only wilco album i own. i can't bring myself to buy another. i don't want to be disappointed. much in the same way lonesome crowded west is the only modest mouse album i can bring myself to own.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    summerteeth is the only wilco album i own. i can't bring myself to buy another. i don't want to be disappointed. much in the same way lonesome crowded west is the only modest mouse album i can bring myself to own.

My brother-in-law says the same thing about Wilco. He owns Summerteeth, and although he likes their other music, he doesn't want to spoil the perfection of Summerteeth by owning their other albums. I say he's missing out on some of the best albums in the last ten years, but I do understand his passion for this album. I've read the comparison to Pet Sounds. Personally, I don't see the big deal with Pet Sounds. I mean, I understand it was something of a groundbreaking album, but it didn't really move me. Then again, I don't like the Beach Boys.
    "Well find a way regardless
    To make some sense out of this mess
    Well, It's a test, but I believe
    A kiss is all we need"

My favorite on the album and probably one of the happier Wilco songs that side of The Late Greats and Walken.

Damn good stuff.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    rhinomagic wrote:
    "Well find a way regardless
    To make some sense out of this mess
    Well, It's a test, but I believe
    A kiss is all we need"

My favorite on the album and probably one of the happier Wilco songs that side of The Late Greats and Walken.

Damn good stuff.

a kiss is alllllllllllllllllll we neeed!

effing great tune

this is one of the best bands in the US right now, and they do it right

Just saw them at the 9:30 club in DC and once again, was blown away by how good these guys are.

All the records are great. No need to compare one with the other. You can put any one on and not skip songs, that to me defines a great record.

And they are one of the few bands whose music works in almost any setting.
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    best band in the world?? are they good live?
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    macgyver06 wrote:
    does a bear shit in the woods?
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    macgyver06 wrote:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15164119

listen for yourself
    show from last week streaming on NPR
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    ive been tempted to buy one of their CD's. some of my older freinds listen to them and i figured id give them a shot. im still not completely into the style though. any suggestions for songs or an album?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • macgyver06 wrote:

They are the best live band out there right now.

Yes, I've said it.

And unless you've seen them in the last 3 years you cannot tell me I'm wrong... lol
    (By that I mean don't say I'm full of crap unless you've actually seen them and somehow disagree with me)
  • joejohnjoejohn Posts: 30
    I'm a fan of Wilco but I never fully got into this album. There are some strong songs and others that I feel are pretty weak.
    They are the best live band out there right now.

I could take or leave the horn section they're employing right now, but the six that make the line-up of Wilco are an excellent unit. I've seen them five times in the past three years and never cease to be impressed at their live show.

I won't go so far as to say they are THE best live band out there right now. I would agree that they belong in the discussion, though.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • i've only recently gotten into this band. so far i've picked up A.M., yankee hotel foxtrot, sky blue sky, and both mermaid avenue albums. i have to say that i've been absolutely blown away by everything i've heard so far. there are still several albums that i need to check out (including summerteeth), but my opinion right now is that wilco is one of the best current bands out there.
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Its all about My Darling!!!!!

I dunno its a toss up between Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    I have yet to listen to summerteeth but i personaly like sky blue sky better than yankee hotel.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
    I would like to point out to you Wilco enthusiasts that their show from New Orleans Wednesday night can be heard via Wilco World at 11 pm CST.

They're bound to play some Summerteeth tracks. Happy webcast listening!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Oxxys wrote:
    I dunno its a toss up between Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth

completely agree here...really tough call. i'll be listening to summerteeth and be thinking its the greatest and then i put on some of YHF and remember why its amazing. no need to rank i suppose..both are solid works.

as far as the best live band out there discussion...i've only seen them once (in august last year) and really enjoyed the show. maybe because i wasn't as close as i would've liked, maybe because the audience wasn't as into it as i would've liked, i can't say that it was the best show i've been to. wish i could've seen them prior to sbs because while i enjoy it, it's really mellowed down parts of the show i'm sure. though of course it was amazing to see nels tearing it up. highly recommended overall.
    r1vers wrote:
    as far as the best live band out there discussion...i've only seen them once (in august last year) and really enjoyed the show. maybe because i wasn't as close as i would've liked, maybe because the audience wasn't as into it as i would've liked, i can't say that it was the best show i've been to. wish i could've seen them prior to sbs because while i enjoy it, it's really mellowed down parts of the show i'm sure. though of course it was amazing to see nels tearing it up. highly recommended overall.

To me, the Kicking Television Tour was the height of their recent live history. The new line-up gelled in a phenomenal way. They mostly played Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born songs, with the better known live staples from Being There and the occasional A.M., Summerteeth, or Mermaid Ave. tune thrown in. I think they had to limit the live catalogue in order to get that group of musicians comfortable playing off each other on a nightly basis. Once they achieved that level, everything else became possible--covers, back catalogue, debuting of new studio material.

But, limited repertoire or no, that was indeed their best run of shows since I've been attending. They seemed giddy at how amazing their concerts were turning out to be. It's like they might be discovering themselves and their potential as a group. The less-challenging sound of Sky Blue Sky has stolen just a minor fraction of that. I have no doubt it's still there, but the last two shows I've seen (June & Oct '07) I've been slightly less-impressed with. Tons of fun, but not as earth-shaking as 05/06.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    I've seen Wilco three times.

My favorite was from the Kicking Television tour that stopped here in crappy London, Ontario. I was front row at a small venue, and it was amazing. The set was 2 and a half hours long. I was exhausted, and satisfied when I was leaving the venue. I think it changed my life.

I was also front row at Bonnaroo, which was also amazing. But, it was the end of the weekend and I was too tired to really get into it.

The last time I saw them was in Toronto last June, and it was still a captivating show (even from the balcony).

The band plays really well together, they have a good flow. And Nels Cline is the best guitarist I know. I was right in front of him (in the front row in London), and I could not keep my eyes off of him.

There is really nothing better than dancing to live Wilco. It heals the soul.
    Cock Fight.
  • I've tried for years to get into Wilco. Personally, they kind of put me to sleep.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Saw Wilco on Tuesday and Wednesday.

They are unbelieveable. IMO, they are just as good as PJ...(if not better).

Cline is one of the best guitarists around right now by far. He rips it so much.

I was shocked, however, at the setlists I got. Shitload of Being There & Summer Teeth and light on YHF and AGIB material.
    Saw Wilco on Tuesday and Wednesday.

They are unbelieveable. IMO, they are just as good as PJ...(if not better).

Cline is one of the best guitarists around right now by far. He rips it so much.

I was shocked, however, at the setlists I got. Shitload of Being There & Summer Teeth and light on YHF and AGIB material.

Lucky. The only song from Summerteeth I got was Via Chicago. It's a good song, but there are soo many other good ones too.
    Cock Fight.