Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

r1versr1vers Posts: 244
edited May 2008 in Other Music
How about some props to the best album of '97 (according to NME)...tough competition against OK Computer & Urban Hymns, but the longer that I've had it in my possession I'm beginning to see why. OK Computer is indisputably in my top 5 records of all time, but this is really creeping up. It truly is beautiful.

Any opinion on it versus the other two aforementioned albums? Twas a great year for British bands indeed...
"Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i dont have this particular Spiritualized album- i have Amazing Grace and thats quite good

however those other two you mentioned are amongst my favorite albums of all time soo...
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Beautiful record. Better than Urban Hymns, not quite as good as OK Computer but still brilliant. I love Broken Heart.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    a) i'm glad someone finally/actually responded to this post...

b) ladies & gentlemen is way better than amazing grace i think... and if you don't have lazer guided melodies that's also better. songs in a&e that's just about to come out is also probably better than amazing grace in my opinion. i'd go in that order.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Pure Phase, Lazer Guided Melodies and Ladies and Gentlemen are ALL incredible albums - not sure which is my favorite, I love em all

Amazing Grace and Let It Come Down never did all that much for me and I had kinda written them off as having peaked.....HOWEVER Songs In A&E is really really great!!!!! - one of the most pleasant surprises for me so far this year
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I saw them supporting Ladies and Gentlemen in 98 at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Only heard the album for the first time at my mates the afternoon of the gig, maybe that made the show harder to appreciate, thought they sounded messy.

Bought a second hand copy few years later and it's since grown on me. Definitely one of the great albums of the 90's.

Love the pharmaceutical-style packaging!!
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Todd76 wrote:
    Pure Phase, Lazer Guided Melodies and Ladies and Gentlemen are ALL incredible albums - not sure which is my favorite, I love em all

Amazing Grace and Let It Come Down never did all that much for me and I had kinda written them off as having peaked.....HOWEVER Songs In A&E is really really great!!!!! - one of the most pleasant surprises for me so far this year

couldn't agree more. A&E has been really destroying me this past week. loving it.