My Morning Jacket live album and DVD!!!

artjamartjam Posts: 227
edited November 2006 in Other Music
MMJ is releasing a double live album "OKONOKOS", late september, and the accompanying DVD in october! Preorder on mymorningjacket.com. I cant wait for the DVD, its going to be amazing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i cant fucking wait for this....all the pre-Z stuff is a million times better live
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Definitely looking forward to this. I've never gotten the chance to see them live, though I did just stream a show of theirs off of NPR the other day. they sounded fantastic. This is a damn fine band.

Incidentally the other day on Itunes, I saw a Samuel L Jackson playlist that he put up and he had put "Anytime" on there. Never would have pegged him as an MMJ fan. dude even had some Arcade Fire on his list. How cool is this guy?
    rock chalk
  • rucchinrucchin Posts: 25
    its floating around out there and it sounds f'ing amazing.

AngryCitizen.org
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    hell yes, there's a screening of the dvd in chicago! any chitown jammers going to go?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jhawk98 wrote:
    Definitely looking forward to this. I've never gotten the chance to see them live, though I did just stream a show of theirs off of NPR the other day. they sounded fantastic. This is a damn fine band.

Incidentally the other day on Itunes, I saw a Samuel L Jackson playlist that he put up and he had put "Anytime" on there. Never would have pegged him as an MMJ fan. dude even had some Arcade Fire on his list. How cool is this guy?

Sam had a few good songs i know he also had the arcade fire's wake up.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I got Okonokos off a bittorrent site awhile back, it is indeed quite amazing. I enjoy their albums, but this live record blows them away as far as I am concerned.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    LedZepFan wrote:
    i cant fucking wait for this....all the pre-Z stuff is a million times better live

right on :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    Here's the DVD trailer!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG0Z9mtv5Cw
    Awesome.

I will be at the Atlanta screening on Mischief Eve.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    Won't be able to catch any screenings, but I hope they tour to support the resleases this fall/winter.
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Jim James is opening solo for John Prine for 4 dates in Oct.!!! Damn, it must be nice to live on the west coast.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    all the pre-Z stuff is a million times better live

eh, i wouldnt say that.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    eh, i wouldnt say that.

haha, two threads we're talking about this in now....I dunno, I just prefer Z to the earlier stuff and I think with this new lineup the older songs get a really powerful and more energetic treatment...One Big Holiday and Run Thru were RIDICULOUS at East Rutherford 6/3
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    haha, two threads we're talking about this in now....I dunno, I just prefer Z to the earlier stuff and I think with this new lineup the older songs get a really powerful and more energetic treatment...One Big Holiday and Run Thru were RIDICULOUS at East Rutherford 6/3

i understand what youre saying, but did you see them with the old lineup? i was fortuante enough to see them twice and they were much tighter and energetic with johhny and danny. not knocking carl and bo, but it just isnt the same.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • i understand what youre saying, but did you see them with the old lineup? i was fortuante enough to see them twice and they were much tighter and energetic with johhny and danny. not knocking carl and bo, but it just isnt the same.

i have to agree with you here. i really miss those shows. i saw them like 3 times with the old lineup and twice with the new one, and the original lineup is my favorite. but that being said, the new guys are definitely not bad by any means and mmj is still one of the best live acts out there, so i'm really excited about these releases.
    what's the deal with the dvd? is it the same show as the live album, with the same versions? id like to see it, but i cant make the screening and dont wanna buy it if it's just a duplicate of the cd...
    what's the deal with the dvd? is it the same show as the live album, with the same versions? id like to see it, but i cant make the screening and dont wanna buy it if it's just a duplicate of the cd...
    I'm not sure but i think it is the same as the cd.

I'll let you know next tuesday i'm buying it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I'm pretty excited to check this out today :)

going at lunch to pick it up but i'll have to wait till tonight to watch it.
    Cheapest i have seen it is circuit city for 14.99
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Just got done watching this and I enjoyed it a lot. I love these guys live. It is pretty much a straight forward live DVD. There is a little story going but really not much to it. Mostly just them rockin out.

Anyone else get this? Was Jim James guitar very low on your TV? I was not watching it in 5.1 andi wonder if that is why but on many of the songs when just Jim is playing guitar and the rest of the band is quiet or Jim's solo's were all very low and hard to hear. I did not know if i got a bad version or if the mix was that bad or if it was becasue my TV sucks....

I think any MMJ fan would dig this DVD :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Just got the DVD and it is just as amazing as I thought it'd be. So enjoyable to watch these guys preform and I can't wait to see them at the end of the month. My only problem is why didn't "Dancefloors" make the cut on the DVD but did on cd. That was the first MMJ tune I ever heard and I was bummed it didn't make it on dvd. Oh well, the show is still mindblowing. Love how they just rock out.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • i understand what youre saying, but did you see them with the old lineup? i was fortuante enough to see them twice and they were much tighter and energetic with johhny and danny. not knocking carl and bo, but it just isnt the same.

i agree. i prefer the pre-z stuff with the old lineup. but i think the new lineup plays the new material really well, and since i have nothing else to compare it to...
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I watched it last night and enjoyed it more then the CD. Seeing the energy and emotion they put into the show just makes it all the better. The 5.1 surround really adds depth to the sound and makes you feel the experience. This is one DVD I am glad I picked up. I am looking forward to seeing them in Philly next month even more now.

Only complaint is that they did not release the whole show. I am not sure why but maybe it didn't flow well to them. Oh, well still happy with the end product.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    brainofPjB wrote:
    Just got the DVD and it is just as amazing as I thought it'd be. So enjoyable to watch these guys preform and I can't wait to see them at the end of the month. My only problem is why didn't "Dancefloors" make the cut on the DVD but did on cd. That was the first MMJ tune I ever heard and I was bummed it didn't make it on dvd. Oh well, the show is still mindblowing. Love how they just rock out.
    Yeah no Dancefloors, Hell, or At Dawn :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I saw My Morning Jacket at the Tabernacle in Atlanta and once again i realized i really love that band. Such a great venue and mostly a good crowd (besides the bitches in front of me who decided to talk during golden and other songs why the fuck do you come to a concert to talk to your friend?)

Best live band since PJ in my opinion and since PJ does not tour the south anymore i'll go ahead and say MMJ is a better live band then pearl jam.

Set list was great. they played One Big Holiday and followed it up with run thru nothing can be more rockin then that. Similar set list to the okonosos dvd but not the same. They did end with anytime and mageeta.

this was my second time seeing the jacket and i loved it just as much as the first.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Yeah no Dancefloors, Hell, or At Dawn :(

looks like i'll pass on the dvd...
  • i love it.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• If you're undecided on whether to buy Okonokos, they are showing part of it on OnDemand.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • wow - i just discovered this band, theyre amazing. I used to dismiss this band competely because i thought they were my chemical romance! What a terrible mixup. If it wasn't for the pj connection i wouldn't have checked them out.