Stone Temple Pilots

eastiapjfaneastiapjfan Posts: 29
edited July 2008 in Other Music
hi, i was wondering what are people's thoughts on stp, i've always liked them and saw them live for the first time on the 4th of July at Summerfest, i must say, they were awesome live, it was nice to see a different style of rock show, i was impressed with scott weiland, he is a great vocalist imo, his stage presence is also pretty cool and he does a good job of keeping the crowd involved as well. i've seen pearl jam 6 times, so i'm dissappointed i won't be seeing pj this summer but if pj was touring i probably wouldn't have went to stp, so, although it's a bummer when pj isn't touring(or in my area) it is a good time to go catch some other bands that i haven't seen live before.

also, i know stp kinda got grouped into the "grunge" band label, are they friends with pj? does pj and stp have any history together or anything like that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    hi, i was wondering what are people's thoughts on stp, i've always liked them and saw them live for the first time on the 4th of July at Summerfest, i must say, they were awesome live, it was nice to see a different style of rock show, i was impressed with scott weiland, he is a great vocalist imo, his stage presence is also pretty cool and he does a good job of keeping the crowd involved as well. i've seen pearl jam 6 times, so i'm dissappointed i won't be seeing pj this summer but if pj was touring i probably wouldn't have went to stp, so, although it's a bummer when pj isn't touring(or in my area) it is a good time to go catch some other bands that i haven't seen live before.

also, i know stp kinda got grouped into the "grunge" band label, are they friends with pj? does pj and stp have any history together or anything like that?

I was at that show too.............classic performance.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Solid show where the busted out all the hits. Thought he sounded great on the majority of the songs but some were a little rough.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    their 2001 set and 08 setlist is frickin sweet.

Come to europe pleease :D
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    i'm just a casual STP fan, i liked a few songs from Core and I like a majority of the songs from Purple. I never really listened to anything they put out after that, except i remember liking "sour girl" a lot, it reminded me of something that may have been from the 60's. never seem them live.

as far as any relation to PJ, the only thing is i remember is reading that when "creep" or "plush" was released, some people went up to Ed and told him they like his new song, and he was like "WTF?" Not that he didn't like the songs or the band, it was just funny that STP was kinda the first band to be labeled a PJ rip-off band.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
    pureoc wrote:
    Solid show where the busted out all the hits. Thought he sounded great on the majority of the songs but some were a little rough.

Big Bang Baby wasnt very good, Creep blew me away though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Brain Of E wrote:
    i'm just a casual STP fan, i liked a few songs from Core and I like a majority of the songs from Purple. I never really listened to anything they put out after that, except i remember liking "sour girl" a lot, it reminded me of something that may have been from the 60's. never seem them live.

as far as any relation to PJ, the only thing is i remember is reading that when "creep" or "plush" was released, some people went up to Ed and told him they like his new song, and he was like "WTF?" Not that he didn't like the songs or the band, it was just funny that STP was kinda the first band to be labeled a PJ rip-off band.

PJ only released Ten a year before STP released Core I believe. Its not that STP ripped them off, its more of PJs fame helped STP get bigger because there was an audience for this kinda music with a deep voiced singer.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    I am going to see them on the 18th. Hope it is a good show.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • epierce3epierce3 Posts: 77
    I was at the 4th of July summerfest show too but I haven't been able to find a setlist anywhere, any tips?
    United Center Chicago: 05.16.06, 05.17.06
    Vic Theater Chicago: 08.02.07
    Lollapalooza 2007: 08.05.07
    Auditorium Theater Chicago (EV Solo): 08.22.08
    United Center Chicago: 08.23.09
  • msujammermsujammer Posts: 173
    epierce3 wrote:
    I was at the 4th of July summerfest show too but I haven't been able to find a setlist anywhere, any tips?

There ya go:

http://www.belowempty.com/concerts.php?s=date&id=813
    11/3/00 Boise 5/28/03 Missoula 6/15/03 Fargo 8/29/05 Missoula 9/4/05 Calgary 7/22/06 Gorge 7/23/06 The Gorge 7/18/08 9/21/09 Seattle 9/22/09 Seattle 5/3/10 Kansas City 9/3/11 Alpine Valley 9/4/11 Alpine Valley 9/30/12 Missoula
    Also a link to pictures for anyone who is interested. Cool pictures of Scott with the flag wrapped around him.

http://www.belowempty.com/pictures.php?do=showgallery&type=concert&sub=STP&id=188
    11/3/00 Boise 5/28/03 Missoula 6/15/03 Fargo 8/29/05 Missoula 9/4/05 Calgary 7/22/06 Gorge 7/23/06 The Gorge 7/18/08 9/21/09 Seattle 9/22/09 Seattle 5/3/10 Kansas City 9/3/11 Alpine Valley 9/4/11 Alpine Valley 9/30/12 Missoula
  • i love this band. they are very talented musicians. their basslines are some of the best in 90's rock i think. guitar work is also quite amazing. im a big fan of all their stuff from purple onwards. songs from the vatican city is a great album...

shame scott cant seem to stay out of trouble.

hope i get a chance to see them some day...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • epierce3epierce3 Posts: 77
    msujammer wrote:
    Awesome! Thanks man!
    United Center Chicago: 05.16.06, 05.17.06
    Vic Theater Chicago: 08.02.07
    Lollapalooza 2007: 08.05.07
    Auditorium Theater Chicago (EV Solo): 08.22.08
    United Center Chicago: 08.23.09
    epierce3 wrote:
    Awesome! Thanks man!

Thanks from me as well
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    PJ only released Ten a year before STP released Core I believe. Its not that STP ripped them off, its more of PJs fame helped STP get bigger because there was an audience for this kinda music with a deep voiced singer.

agreed. STP sounded similar to PJ and i guess some people confused them. I remember hearing "tomorrow" by silverchair and thinking it was PJ.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Class band and one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Caught them on their first euro tour back in 93 (I think) and then again in 01 and the are so solid live...would love a euro tour soon :D
    I need a coffee!
    Thanks from me as well

You guys are very welcome! :D

I saw them in Salt Lake this year and have to say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I also had third row, dead center so that may have helped the experience too! ;)
  • for the summerfest show i was about 10th row, stage left, it was awesome to be that close, thanks to the poster that posted the setlist, i was looking for that
  • nadja_veddernadja_vedder Posts: 291
    I saw them at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut in May, and the show was unbelievable, they played all the hits, it was amazing!!!
    I will definitely see them again.
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"