Where/how do you house your CD's?

mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I'm curious what people with large CD collections do. I went with CD notebooks while I was in college because it was easier to move and the cases took up too much space. Now I have like 5 huge notebooks and cases in random places everywhere. I kind of want to go and put them all back in cases now.

What do you all do? What do you do with your burned CD's?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I had a builder come in and convert an entire basement wall with shelves from top to bottom.

I have since moved and do not have a finished basement so they all sit in moving boxes. I tossed my burned CD's (I imported them into iTunes first). I now purchase most of my music digitally so I don't have to bother with it. After awhile, they just become a pain in the ass.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    A bunch of giant books full of cds. The plastic cases just collect dust. I have too many cds, I would guess around 700
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    wish i could throw em away, but i'm too annal.
    bought a pro DJ case.....it's purple....... ;) .......put them in there in sleaves.
    that's why i love itunes. nothing to store except on my external HD.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    In college I used notebooks, then I built a house and had them placed willy-nilly in the cabinets of my enternment center (which was a major pain in the ass) and now I have a shelf similar to the one posted by Binfrog.
    I just go and fetch whatever I want to hear, but I soon ended up with dozens of CDs in my truck scattered all over the place. I wouldn't have it any other way though
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I have two long shelfs in my room. My collection isn't huge, but it's growing!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Nice collection!

• Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I went CD-less about a year ago. Even my PJ bootleg collection went digital. Got it on a hard drive now...backed up to a second hard drive. Best move I ever made.
    "It's all happening"
  • The CDs are a piece of piss to stack. It's the thousands of vinyl albums that take up a room.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Cd cases just serve as decoration for me (retail cds), got them in shelves at my work studio. I have all my burned cds organized in cd notebooks which i keep in closed shelves. Both of these serve as backup, i get the best tunes outta them and convert them to mp3s into my pc where its more handy to push play instead of grabbing a cd out of a case and putting it in any kind of player.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    A bunch of giant books full of cds. The plastic cases just collect dust. I have too many cds, I would guess around 700

about 700? thats not too many. i have a bit over that and for me there's so much left to get. ive only just begun.
    mine are on bookshelves. unfortunately they are pushing my books onto the floor so i seriously need to take a trip to ikea soon. :)

oops almost forgot.. some are stored in a stack next to my computer. there's always some that never seem to make it back to the shelves.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    BinFrog wrote:

shit... how many boots do you have? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    about 700? thats not too many. i have a bit over that and for me there's so much left to get. ive only just begun.
    mine are on bookshelves. unfortunately they are pushing my books onto the floor so i seriously need to take a trip to ikea soon. :)

oops almost forgot.. some are stored in a stack next to my computer. there's always some that never seem to make it back to the shelves.

They have Ikea in Oz?
    Man that shiz is global.:)

My shelves are all sorted by artistic relevance and in some cases genre.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Have 2 like this. One just for PJ. We're out of room though so not sure what we'll get next. The remainder are in other various cabinets. We both like having the cases, artwork, etc. :)
    http://www.mediastoragecenter.com/Leslie-Dame-Enterprises-CD-456W-CD-Cabinet.htm#Details
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Right now they're on a big tower from ikea, and in some CD carrying cases, but I have so much stuff already on itunes, and mainly use my ipod, that I've started the large task of transferring my entire collection into itunes, and I plan to box up the CDs and pretty much put them away. I can use the space.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Most have ended up in the bath and down the toilet. Problem is, I always liked keeping them in my bedroom but my son finds it fun to put them in water. :(
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Most have ended up in the bath and down the toilet. Problem is, I always liked keeping them in my bedroom but my son finds it fun to put them in water. :(

They do float quite well, bless him.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I love that picture that was posted of an actuall CD collection. Those are hard to come by these days. They can become a great conversation point in a home. All my CD's are back at my parents place in boxes. They keep bugging me to get rid of them or something, but I won't. Once I get a big enough place I will get a nice shelving system and have them in an area where people can see them and judge me on my musical tastes.
    shit... how many boots do you have? :)

A lot not even in that picture :). On the right hand side, the bottom 6 rows are PJ.
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    BinFrog wrote:

You know what I find very cool? I don't even look at my cases or anything that often, so it's not like I hold my CD's that often and really know them, but I was looking at your CD collection and I wasn't even looking for anything just looking at it all in the big picture and No Code stuck out at me. I was surprised my eyes would find it in all of those CD's so quickly and had to make sure it was it by looking to see if Yield was right next to it (it's a more obvious spine) and that was it.

Weird that I have such an attachment to that album I was able to find it in a picture of 700 CD collection that wasn't even that close or of high resolution.

I can't see myself wanting to have all my Cd's on a shelf or dealing with Cds at all. The Ipod is such a great innovation because you don't have to deal with the physical storage of CDs. I personaly keep CDs in a folder in storage and just use the ipod.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    I need to get the set up that BinFrog has....I have mine in 5,double sided racks,one muliti-sided spin rack and another smaller rack that holds all my PJ. I also have 3 small binders and a large binder for all of my burned cd's.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
    et21 wrote:
    You know what I find very cool? I don't even look at my cases or anything that often, so it's not like I hold my CD's that often and really know them, but I was looking at your CD collection and I wasn't even looking for anything just looking at it all in the big picture and No Code stuck out at me. I was surprised my eyes would find it in all of those CD's so quickly and had to make sure it was it by looking to see if Yield was right next to it (it's a more obvious spine) and that was it.

Weird that I have such an attachment to that album I was able to find it in a picture of 700 CD collection that wasn't even that close or of high resolution.

I can't see myself wanting to have all my Cd's on a shelf or dealing with Cds at all. The Ipod is such a great innovation because you don't have to deal with the physical storage of CDs. I personaly keep CDs in a folder in storage and just use the ipod.

(Way more than 700)

I love how the No Code and Yield artworks join about an inch from the bottom of the spines. There's a black bar that continues from No Code to the Yield spine.
    shell bell wrote:
    I need to get the set up that BinFrog has....I have mine in 5,double sided racks,one muliti-sided spin rack and another smaller rack that holds all my PJ. I also have 3 small binders and a large binder for all of my burned cd's.

I used to have a bunch of wooden shelf units that held 250 discs each, and it just got unruly.
    BinFrog wrote:
    A lot not even in that picture :). On the right hand side, the bottom 6 rows are PJ.

yes i know. thats why i asked. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    BinFrog wrote:
    I need me something like this, considered constructing some wall to wall shelving myself to take care of the stacks of cds and paperbacks that pile upwards,but my craft design skills are a little scratchy.
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    I have about 3,000 in Ikea bookshelves all over my apt. But I also have a shitload of DVDs as well mixed in, not to mention a few hundred vinyl.

And for obvious reasons I've finally decided this year to move out of my one-bedroom apt. I can barely even walk around any more.

I too have everything on my iPod, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of my CDs.