Biggest pleasant surprise at Lolla?

mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Who did you see at Lolla that you didn't know much about, didn't listen to very much, but really impressed you?

Patti Smith for me. I knew very little about her and went to check her out. Blew me away. Best performance next to PJ for me without a doubt.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• M.I.A. for me. I danced through her entire set. And I guess I should say The Stooges as well. I knew they'd be good, but not as good as they were. The rest of the bands I saw were great as I expected them to be, especially Patti. For her to close with Rock N Roll Nigger....that was my best moment during the whole festival I think.
  • Pete Yorn. He comes to Columbus quite often, but I never got the chance to see him. He's amazing live. Way better sounding than his albums.

Also, did anyone see the guy who introduced Pete dancing on the side of the stage? I just stood there and did this one dance the entire time. It was hilarious.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tglass6105 wrote:
    Pete Yorn. He comes to Columbus quite often, but I never got the chance to see him. He's amazing live. Way better sounding than his albums.

Also, did anyone see the guy who introduced Pete dancing on the side of the stage? I just stood there and did this one dance the entire time. It was hilarious.

i wonder if that was teh same guy who was onstage for part of polyphonic spree... he was this totally weird dude in a suit dancing like a fool. i loved it. im still bummed i missed pete yorn, but ti was ok becos being up close for silverchair was the highlight of my weekend.

my gf and i paced ourselves cos we just moved into a new apartment, so we didnt get to check otu many new/random bands.

pleasant surprises:
    polyphonic spree- they were a blast. i was looking forward to seeing them and they had sound struggles, but it was still great.
    silverchair- i remembered them being good live, but not THAT good!
    pearl jam- i had high hopes and they were exceeded. despite tons of tech problems, the energy of the band and the suprirsingly enthusiastic crowd made theit set amazing.

disappointments:
    muse- yeah, the lights were cool and muse deserves to be listened to that loud, but they had no personality and the songs were note for note reproductions of the album.
    my morning jacket- i don't know why, but i just wasn't feeling their set like i have every other time i saw them. i wish i had gone to see modest mouse.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    matt & kim: they're so excitable and happy. it was awesome to see such a great crowd for them. when i saw them at a club in orlando, there were only 30 people there...boo!

annuals: love them. i would take it as a huge compliment if i were them that tv on the radio were watching their set from the side of the stage :)

yyys: karen o. enough said!

tapes 'n tapes: i already knew they'd be amazing, but they rocked it!! if i could listen to "insistor" from that set over and over...dancin my ass off!

kings of leon: so excited to finally see them :) can they seriously be any cooler?!? loved it so much.

i wish i would've give up my great spot for pearl jam to dance my booty cakes off to tv on the radio (can i really say that on this board ;) )!!! their music is absolutely amazing and makes me so incredible happy. at least i could kinda hear it while waiting for pj to start...i was singing along to "staring at the sun", i'm sure everyone around me thought i was crazy!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • did anyone catch The Colour Revolt on friday?? I thought they were pretty damn good
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    The Hold Steady. I love their albums, and heard good things about their live show, but it was just so much fun.

Also, Daft Punk. I had seen some of the videos on youtube before hand, and I do like some of their songs, but I thought I would grow tired of the techno/lights stuff. Boy was I wrong. Best show of the weekend.

I'm also amazed by how close I was for Pearl Jam. I was by myself all day and never got a chance to go to the bathroom or get food (because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it back to my spot) but I survived (I was right in front of the first security barrier)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • I enjoyed the Black Keys. That was my first time hearing or seeing them and I'll definitely check out more of their stuff.
    NERDS!
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    mulva9 wrote:
    Who did you see at Lolla that you didn't know much about, didn't listen to very much, but really impressed you?

Patti Smith for me. I knew very little about her and went to check her out. Blew me away. Best performance next to PJ for me without a doubt.
    Great thread. I was wondering the same and there are some great responses so far. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    I enjoyed the Black Keys. That was my first time hearing or seeing them and I'll definitely check out more of their stuff.

Agreed. I had heard a little of them and was looking forward to seeing them. Good show. After Pearl Jam and Ben Harper they were my favorite Lolla act that I saw.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    ben harper...i knew he was supposed to be good, but not THAT good..that show was awesome
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Daft Punk, without a doubt. I'd heard a little bit of their music, but didn't know much about them. What an incredible blast! Festival on the grass and I could make up my own dances in the light and sound. Really, wow wow WOW - I loved them!

I can't say Patti Smith was a surprise, because I KNEW what her shows are like! (But maybe a pleasant surprise was my daughter managed to keep a rail spot from Regina Spektor so I could stand right behind her (she's little) for Patti)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Favorite performances: The Roots, YYYs, TV on the Radio, Interpol, Yo La Tengo, Iggy, G Love, Ted Leo & the P, Viva Voce... and of course Pearl Jam! :D

Biggest surprises: LCD Soundsystem & Daft Punk - goodtimes!

Worst time conflict: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah & The Roots

Total Letdown: Hold Steady & MMJ (who went over their time & caused TV on the Radio to have to cut their already short set)

Not sad I missed at all: Muse
  • IlovveePJIlovveePJ Posts: 145
    Kings Of Leon!! A friend of mine introduced me to their music but I hadn't heard them live..... they were amazing!!!! Completely blown away. :)
    Cincinnati. 6.24.06 Portland. 7.20.06 Gorge I. 7.22.06 London. 6.18.07
    Lollapalooza. 8.5.07 West Palm Beach. 6.11.08 Bonnaroo. 6.14.08
    Hartford. Mansfield.

www.myspace.com/lkatmeimsandrab
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

disappointments:
    muse- yeah, the lights were cool and muse deserves to be listened to that loud, but they had no personality and the songs were note for note reproductions of the album.

if there are any other thoughts on Muse, in the course of the thread, I'd love to hear them

My girl is big on Muse and I kind of dig them ... we're thinking of going to Vegas in October for Vegoose (Muse is there, with Rage, Iggy, Daft Punk Public Enemy, Gogol Bordello, etc) ... but, if people find Muse to be not so great, would be good to know.

anyway .... continue .... ;)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    The dancing fool is widely known as Beatle Bob. Look it up on Wikipedia or google. I can't stand seeing the guy... to me he detracts from the show when he is so clearly visible.

Patti Smith was THE show of Lolla for me, followed by Iggy/Stooges. Amazing to think two 60+ year olds truly owned this festival.

Daft Punk's show was great, too, but due more to the stage effects than the actual music. Amazing to see, no doubt, but strip that stuff away and it isn't as good. I'm sure people who may have been trippin' balls went for the ride of a lifetime, though.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Kings of Leon- I hated the first song I heard of theirs, but saw them at Lolla and got 2 of their CDs

Black Keys- they are from my hometown and I've never seen them. They are awesome and to imagine it's only 2 guys.

I was tapping my feet to The Rapture, they had some catchy songs

I used to like Muse, but I ended up leaving during their set becuase I was board. I often think that most Muse fans are only fans becuase of a couple reasons a)they have never heard Radiohead, b)they love Radiohead so much they want more bands to try to copy them or c)they are looking for music with substance and think that Muse gives that to them. I actually think I am turned off to Muse becuase they as a band take themselves way too seriously
  • jimed14 wrote:
    if there are any other thoughts on Muse, in the course of the thread, I'd love to hear them

My girl is big on Muse and I kind of dig them ... we're thinking of going to Vegas in October for Vegoose (Muse is there, with Rage, Iggy, Daft Punk Public Enemy, Gogol Bordello, etc) ... but, if people find Muse to be not so great, would be good to know.

anyway .... continue .... ;)
    Muse is great live, saw them in last September. Great show but a bit short on their set, but who is'nt these days
  • thesheff wrote:
    Daft Punk. I had seen some of the videos on youtube before hand, and I do like some of their songs, but I thought I would grow tired of the techno/lights stuff. Boy was I wrong. Best show of the weekend.
    JaneNY wrote:
    Daft Punk, without a doubt. I'd heard a little bit of their music, but didn't know much about them. What an incredible blast! Festival on the grass and I could make up my own dances in the light and sound. Really, wow wow WOW - I loved them!

hehehe I told yas ;)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4460059&postcount=226
    iamsampj wrote:
    matt & kim: they're so excitable and happy. it was awesome to see such a great crowd for them. when i saw them at a club in orlando, there were only 30 people there...boo!

annuals: love them. i would take it as a huge compliment if i were them that tv on the radio were watching their set from the side of the stage :)

yyys: karen o. enough said!

tapes 'n tapes: i already knew they'd be amazing, but they rocked it!! if i could listen to "insistor" from that set over and over...dancin my ass off!

kings of leon: so excited to finally see them :) can they seriously be any cooler?!? loved it so much.

i wish i would've give up my great spot for pearl jam to dance my booty cakes off to tv on the radio (can i really say that on this board ;) )!!! their music is absolutely amazing and makes me so incredible happy. at least i could kinda hear it while waiting for pj to start...i was singing along to "staring at the sun", i'm sure everyone around me thought i was crazy!!

i think id have preferred modest mouse/tv on the radio/losing my pj spot to sitting there through mmj to be where i was. ive seen tv on the radio live and they were awesome.

tapes'n'tapes i only heard from across the field but they were rocking WAY more than they do on the albums tracks i've listened to. i might have to give them another listen.

i cant go with you on the yyy's though... i just don't get them. it was too self-consciously hipster for me... they felt so contrived to me.

the annuals did sound good, though i didn't really get to see their full set.
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I used to like Muse, but I ended up leaving during their set becuase I was board. I often think that most Muse fans are only fans becuase of a couple reasons a)they have never heard Radiohead, b)they love Radiohead so much they want more bands to try to copy them or c)they are looking for music with substance and think that Muse gives that to them. I actually think I am turned off to Muse becuase they as a band take themselves way too seriously

yeah, i wanted to leave and go catch some of interpol, but my friend really wanted to see them.

don't get me wrong, muse was good live, they just didn't meet my expectations. the light show they had going on was a nice complement, but don't expect much else. there is no spontaneity. the singer has no personality... he never said a word, it was the drummer who thanked the crowd maybe twice during the set and there was nothing else spoken. the songs were good, but were identical note for note to the album. it was just kinda underwhelming. i was hoping they'd rock it out or stretch or be rowdy and aggressive and they weren't. very polished, but nothing like the liveliness of a pearl jam set. i would have expected that from interpol, but not muse.

also, the black keys were great and got a great crowd response. a nice gritty but still kinda chill late afternoon set.

im still sorta kicking myself for missing daft punk. ben harper was good, but just like any other ben harper set ive seen. everyone who saw daft punk seems to have ahd their mind blown. it was all i heard about all weekend.
  • JzacurJzacur Posts: 64
    I had not really heard of the Black Keys before I went to Lolla and my god was I blown away, absolutely fantastic set with a phenomenal energy to it. I was also surprised by G. Love, he really isn't my sort of deal but my friends were excited for him and he put on a rather good show

I like Muse but, everything was so rigid, but I think you get that with all the graphics they had set to each song. The long breaks between songs was killing me.

Silverchair was actually very good, I went there with low expectations of them and came out impressed with their set.
    9/28/05 PNC Park Pittsburgh- 6/23/06 Mellon Arena Pittsburgh- 8/02/07 The Vic- 8/05/07- Lollapalooza 6/22/08 DC
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    yeah, i wanted to leave and go catch some of interpol, but my friend really wanted to see them.

don't get me wrong, muse was good live, they just didn't meet my expectations. the light show they had going on was a nice complement, but don't expect much else. there is no spontaneity. the singer has no personality... he never said a word, it was the drummer who thanked the crowd maybe twice during the set and there was nothing else spoken. the songs were good, but were identical note for note to the album. it was just kinda underwhelming. i was hoping they'd rock it out or stretch or be rowdy and aggressive and they weren't. very polished, but nothing like the liveliness of a pearl jam set. i would have expected that from interpol, but not muse.

also, the black keys were great and got a great crowd response. a nice gritty but still kinda chill late afternoon set.

im still sorta kicking myself for missing daft punk. ben harper was good, but just like any other ben harper set ive seen. everyone who saw daft punk seems to have ahd their mind blown. it was all i heard about all weekend.

Yeah I wish I would have seen Interpol rather than Muse. Their show just made me want to go home. I think the reason I don't like them so much is becuase I can't stand their lead singer. The whole trying to spread atheism and songs about the Apocalypse are both things I can't relate to and things I don't wish to hear in my music. I'm not even a really religious person but I just like to cut loose and have a good time when listening to a band play. It's different with Pearl Jam becuase you humanize Eddie and how he talks to the crowd and you feel like he is talking to you as an individual. You can relate to Pearl Jam's songs becuase they are about human thoughts and feelings. Muse just comes out, sings about how the end is coming and there is no hope, and leaves; they don't even talk to us while they are doing it!
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Yeah I wish I would have seen Interpol rather than Muse. Their show just made me want to go home. I think the reason I don't like them so much is becuase I can't stand their lead singer. The whole trying to spread atheism and songs about the Apocalypse are both things I can't relate to and things I don't wish to hear in my music. I'm not even a really religious person but I just like to cut loose and have a good time when listening to a band play. It's different with Pearl Jam becuase you humanize Eddie and how he talks to the crowd and you feel like he is talking to you as an individual. You can relate to Pearl Jam's songs becuase they are about human thoughts and feelings. Muse just comes out, sings about how the end is coming and there is no hope, and leaves; they don't even talk to us while they are doing it!

i think it's just part of their schtick, but it is a bit much sometimes. they're better in small doses.

interpol would have been cool im sure. i saw their setlist and id have given anything to see them close with stella.
  • It was My Morning Jacket for me. I saw them open for our boys in Cleveland and was not "overly" impressed. That set changed my mind!
    Props to The Stooges!
    LIVE4LOVE
    Nicholas
    LIVE4LUV&LUVWILLIVE4U!
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I only go to go on friday, but some highlights for me included.

The Kings of Leon- I've listened to them for a while now, but never saw them live. They completely blew me away and I was so pumped when Eddie came out for Slow Night So Long. It's such a wild song and was just icing on a phenomenal performance, besides Pearl Jam this was the highlight for me.

The Black Angels- Never really listened to them or heard them before, but holy shit they are wild as shit.

MMJ- Saw them live at PJ in Albany thought they were wild then and they are still wild. I love the song Run Thru, especially when the crowd thought it was over, but I knew it wasn't cause I listen to it all the time.

I wish I could have made it all weekend so I could have seen Interpol, Silverchair, and Sam Roberts Band, but oh well. I'm going to see Interpol in Albany though so that will be a good time!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    The Chicago Vegan Diner restaraunt stand.

As a 5 year Vegan I counted on having no options for food then low and behold a guy wearing a "meat sucks" shirt tells me to visit the stand where he's working.

The food was amazing!!! The Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and 'Not Dog' made my day. I wish I could've eaten more, but the heat really didn't give me too much of an appetite.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• stew2310stew2310 Posts: 19
    The first show of the weekend The Fratelli's were damn good, but Rodrigo y Gabriela stole the show for me they were amazing, I was feeling real hungover and it was sweltering out but they had me moving the whole time!
    8/27/00 Saratoga, 9/28/05 Pittsburgh w/ The Stones, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, Lollapalooza 07

"You're throwing joints on stage! maybe I should insult you some more"-Ed in Pittsburgh '06

"George Bush find yourself another home"
  • Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    i STUMBBLED to Ghostland Observatory after the vic. they rocked. they really got me going for the next three days.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • I will say I'm surprised by the negative comments about the Muse. They rocked it at the Forum earlier this year. I would go to Vegoose in a heartbeat if I had the funds.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • stew2310stew2310 Posts: 19
    I will say I'm surprised by the negative comments about the Muse. They rocked it at the Forum earlier this year. I would go to Vegoose in a heartbeat if I had the funds.

I just happen to be in Vegas that weekend for work and am going to Vegoose but only for Moe. who also kicked ass in Chicago this weekend!
    8/27/00 Saratoga, 9/28/05 Pittsburgh w/ The Stones, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, Lollapalooza 07

"You're throwing joints on stage! maybe I should insult you some more"-Ed in Pittsburgh '06

"George Bush find yourself another home"