Need help finding certain types of blues artists

bobbyd3bobbyd3 Posts: 89
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Ok ive met a women who's into the blues, I love the blues but I mainly listenm to older guys like muddy waters, bill broonzy, rl burnside etc.

She likes stevie ray vaugn, I do to. But she says shes more into like upbeat blues or something, where as I like the slow depressing kind. can anyone think of any artists I should look into that are more like what she likes. Im drawing a blank at the moment
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Shit, right off the bat I'd say Buddy Guy. He was a huge, huge influence on SRV, and he also played in the Muddy Waters band for a little while, so that's a good halfway point to start at.

Albert King is another giant. An argument could be made that with no Albert King, there would be no SRV, or Clapton for that matter.

A dark, depressing, single string lead guitar electric bluesman is Otis Rush. That might be a good transition guy for you. Get the stuff he recorded for the Cobra label. A lot of depressing, minor-key slow blues.

And you can't go wrong with B.B King.

And both of you guys might dig Doyle Bramhall II. He is a Texas electric guitar slinger who is influenced by SRV, but his sound is more noisey and rock. He is someone a Pearl Jam, Hendrix, or Led Zeppelin fan would probably really like.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    bobbyd3 wrote:
    Ok ive met a women who's into the blues, I love the blues but I mainly listenm to older guys like muddy waters, bill broonzy, rl burnside etc.

She likes stevie ray vaugn, I do to. But she says shes more into like upbeat blues or something, where as I like the slow depressing kind. can anyone think of any artists I should look into that are more like what she likes. Im drawing a blank at the moment

Joe Bonamassa will be a good choice... He is BAD ASS live and an AMAZING guitarist. Sometimes I think the cds don't even do him justice.
    A new day Yesterday
    and SO, It's like that
    and
    Had to cry today are great albums of his.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • I agree with all the recommendations above, especially Buddy Guy. His more recent albums (from the 90's on) are the more upbeat, SRV style blues. You could also try Freddie King, an older Texas blues guitar player, but with a more upbeat, uptempo style. Clapton covered King's Hideaway on the album he did with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. If you don't have that Bluesbreakers album, you should definitely give that a try as well.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Check out Rory Gallagher. He is or should I say was AN brillant Irish guitarist who played on a Muddy WAters album in the mid seventies. Any of his two live albums won't dissapoint.
  • I second Fada. Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour album is awesome. Although, I'd say it's closer to rock than straight blues.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Try Colin James. He's a Canadian artist who was booked as a supporting act by Stevie Ray Vaughn when he was about 18. There are also guys from Vaughn's band on the new album I think and a then unknown Lenny Kravitz played on his blues-rock album. He goes from Blues to Rock to Swing and back again all the time (not on one album). 'National Steel' is a stripped down Blues album, the new 'Little Big Band 3' is more swing, etc. He did a great cover of 'Into the Mystic' on the Limelight album.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson