Natural Progression of a Music Fan. Birth to Current.

tkepearljamntkepearljamn Posts: 581
edited August 2008 in Other Music
Okay....

What was your natural progression of your musical taste? Please list the inspirational/favorite bands of your life. Give about 10 - 12 bands from the time you got into music to present that reflect your musical personality. Please also list the time you got into music to current.. and your first 5 shows you saw.

Here is mine. (don't judge. I am 25 and I am going to start when I was about 5 or 6 )

Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Beatles, Weezer, Pixies, The Clash, Wilco, Elvis Costello / Springsteen

My first 5 concerts were...

Beachboys 92
Beachboys 93
Ringo Star 94
Van Halen 95
Pearl Jam 98

I have seen 400 shows since 98.
07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    1994: Not ashame to admit that Green Day's Dookie got me into music. I was 11/12 when it came out and their performance at Woodstock I thought was amazing. I did liked the "grunge" stuff but didn't really understood it since my English was really bad between '91-'94.

'95-'96: I revisited the "grunge" stuff and Alice In Chains were the first to really impress me. Behind AIC, I actually liked STP better than Soundgarden, Nirvana and Pearl Jam at the time.

'97: I was bored out of my mind without any good music out this year.

'98-'03: Decided to purchase my first CD, all my previous albums were tapes.:p And the CD I purchased was YIELD. I was very impress with the album so much that I bought all their previous 4 studios within the week. However, I listened to Yield for most of the year though.

'04-'05: Was disappointed with Riot Act and decided to take a break from PJ for awhile. Though I did buy Lost Dogs when I saw the advertisement on ESPN. I discovered Soul Coughing and Faith No More but these guys been disbanded for years now.

'06-'07: Purchased Avocado but wasn't too impress with it either. Then started listening to Radiohead a lot because I finally fell in love with Kid A.

Though, I should state that between '04-'07 I was listening a lot to PJ's live bootlegs too.

(late)'07-'08: Registered back into The Pit to download some free bootlegs but this time decided to post in the forum as well. As crazy as this forum gets something, I thanked everyone here for re-energizing my love for PJ and even did a little fan tour of my own to see them 5 times in a week. This past June tour made me a bigger fan of Binaural and Avocado!

So I'm back as a full-time Jammer now. :)

Recap:
    '94: Green Day (mainly b/c of Dookie)
    '95-'96: AIC
    '98-'03: PJ
    '04-'05:FNM and Soul Coughing (started listening to PJ boots though)
    '06-'07(middle): Radiohead (really enjoyed listening to PJ boots)
    (late)'07-'08(present): PJ

It's a love-hate relationship I guess. :p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    when I was 3-6 or so I got into Snakes & Ladders and Ace of Base. Harmless kiddy pop for children who are too young to know any better.

9/10 I got into The Offspring after my older brother's friends lent me their music. The first album I ever bought was Smash.

11/12 I got into Foo Fighters. For the rest of my early teens Offspring and Foos alternated as my fav band. Also got into more indie stuff like Idlewild, but generally mainstream bands that were in the top 40. I didn't really listen to many bands because I had this stupid idea that it's best to like 3 or 4 bands and know EVERYTHING about them rather than listen to lots of bands and vaguely know stuff.

14/15 I got into Pixies and Pearl Jam. Started expanding my horizons and listening to friends' favourite bands. Was also introduced to At The Drive In the week after they split up (damn annoying that)

16/17 I got into more alternative rock bands, and also started looking at the bands who influenced my favourite bands. So started checking out Led Zepp, Husker Du, Ramones, Love, The Clash, stuff like that. Also started going to gigs and festivals for the first time.

18/19 I started checking out new bands and going to gigs even if I hadn't heard of the band. My friends call it the start of my music geekdom :rolleyes: Started to get into Elliott Smith at university (my fav artist ever since). Smith kickstarted my love of folk and the realisation that music doesn't have to be pumped up and rocked out to sound good. Also started to get into Electro at university, not in a big way, but do listen to a few DJs like Simian Mobile Disco and Justice (i.e. the popular ones everyone likes but not the bleep bleep flashy lgihts ones).

20/21 where I am now. Go to lots of gigs and have a gloriously open music taste. I'm sure in 5 years I'll probably look back and think I was really narrow minded though :p
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    1995 - Oasis were my first musical love, Morning Glory got me into them and then Definitely Maybe and Be Here Now. Still love their early stuff

2000-2003 - mostly listened to U2, REM, Bruce Springsteen. Saw U2 live twice, bit of Chili Peppers, saw them live also

2003-2006 - Pearl jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana - the whole grunge scene. Also got into QOTSA. Fell in love with Led Zeppelin :-)

Nowadays - mostly listeneing to Neil Young, Pumpkins, bit of psychedelic rock (Funkadelic, Zappa etc.) Trying to open my ears to other genres of music, but i'm very stuck in my ways i have to say :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • I was lucky to be the youngest of 4. I was separated in age by 6 to 12 years from my siblings so I had an array of different music introduced to me. I always had a band that I was into beginning at 9 years old...here's the progression:

KISS
    The Doors
    AC/DC (The Bon Scott years)
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Police
    Duran Duran (I was 16, enough said)
    The Clash
    REM
    U2
    Pearl Jam (a constant since Ten)
    White Stripes
    Rage Against the Machine
    TOOL
    Be Sound...
  • Like any discerning fan of quality music, I started aged about one with Pinky and Perky. Aged about two to three, I used to love seeing T Rex on Top of the Pops, and, I admit it, The Wombles.

Aged seven, in 1979, I discovered my brother's old Beatles and solo Beatles albums. That was the real start of my musical interest. I loved sixties music, mainly the aforementioned, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and (between the ages of about ten to twelve), The Who.

On my twelfth birthday I got some Hendrix albums, and there began the main musical passion of my life. Whatever I listen to even now, I find myself coming back to Jimi. In my teen years, up to sixteen, I listened to a lot of blues, and a lot of psychedelic rock.

Aged sixteen I got into jazz, and bought a lot of vinyl, mainly focusing on the period between the rise of Art Tatum and the early seventies. Bop, hard bop and Coltrane have always been my main interests, there.

Throughout this whole time, I'd always loved Irish traditional music given my heritage, and about the age of seventeen, I developed a fondness for British folk also, mainly John Martyn/Nick Drake. I preferred John to Nick, though: the music was edgier and less precious. I love Van Morrison's Irish soul, and, across the water, Tim Buckley's earlier and mid-period music.

I got into Pearl Jam in 1991.

I've a fondness for Indian classical music, as well as the music of Mali. (Who hasn't?)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Like any discerning fan of quality music, I started aged about one with Pinky and Perky. Aged about two to three, I used to love seeing T Rex on Top of the Pops, and, I admit it, The Wombles.

Aged seven, in 1979, I discovered my brother's old Beatles and solo Beatles albums. That was the real start of my musical interest. I loved sixties music, mainly the aforementioned, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and (between the ages of about ten to twelve), The Who.

On my twelfth birthday I got some Hendrix albums, and there began the main musical passion of my life. Whatever I listen to even now, I find myself coming back to Jimi. In my teen years, up to sixteen, I listened to a lot of blues, and a lot of psychedelic rock.

Aged sixteen I got into jazz, and bought a lot of vinyl, mainly focusing on the period between the rise of Art Tatum and the early seventies. Bop, hard bop and Coltrane have always been my main interests, there.

Throughout this whole time, I'd always loved Irish traditional music given my heritage, and about the age of seventeen, I developed a fondness for British folk also, mainly John Martyn/Nick Drake. I preferred John to Nick, though: the music was edgier and less precious. I love Van Morrison's Irish soul, and, across the water, Tim Buckley's earlier and mid-period music.

I got into Pearl Jam in 1991.

I've a fondness for Indian classical music, as well as the music of Mali. (Who hasn't?)

the birth of the blues, and thus r'n'r, baby. as much as any discerning music fan digs the wombles and pinky and perky was it??, ;) they cant help but go back to the beginning. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The first song I remember hearing and liking was Transmission by Joy Division, aged about 4. Of course I heard stuff before that but I don't remember any before that.

Until I was about 10, I didn't really have any favourite bands or listen to anything specific but I always loved music. Hearing Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis gives me a tremendous sense of nostalgia still, even though I don't like Oasis.

I started listening to Tupac Shakur around the age of 10 after hearing Changes when his greatest hits came out and basically fell in love with his music and a bunch of other rappers. Besides Tupac, I started listening to Nas, Dr Dre and the Wu-Tang Clan. As for non-hip-hop, I started listening to Bob Dylan, although not to the extent that I would later.

Aged about 11, I got into Nirvana and Guns N' Roses although I remained a big fan of hip-hop.

Around 14, I listened to PJ for the first time, though I'd heard Alive years before. They quickly became my favourite band in the world :) From there, I got MASSIVELY into "grunge" and AIC probably surpassed PJ in my heart, although the two were definitely my favourites. I got into Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone. I also started listening to huge amounts of Dylan.

From about 15 or 16 onwards, I started branching out listening to Jazz, starting with Miles and Coltrane and also some fusion stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report. I also heard Minor Threat for the first time and fell in love.

At 17, I met my best friend and we went on something of a musical journey of discovery, going through huge jazz, experimental and punk phases. I also delved further into hip-hop. I found the greatest band I've ever heard, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, a band who I swear make the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.

Since then, I've explored electronic music, classical, massive amounts of hardcore punk (the genre I feel I best connect to for whatever reason, besides jazz) all types of jazz, huge amounts of hip-hop and "avant-garde stuff", some indian music like Allaudin Khan, Nusrat, some Koto, klezmer, IDM, noise, ambient, field recordings, basically anything I can get my hands on :) I have a thirst to hear new stuff. I feel kind of sad sometimes that I don't get the same obsession for a band like Pearl Jam, although I did have a period of whoring out GY!BE to every single person who'd listen :p But I love the newer phase of my listening too. I like hearing tons of different stuff, rather than focusing on one band like crazy for years. I wore out some of the most amazing music doing that. I like to keep things fresh and interesting.

Most currently, I've been listening to a lot of hip-hop again, as well as classical and a rejuvenated Coltrane phase. I'm always up for hearing new stuff though.

And that was my music life so far... :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I like this.

I was born in 1978
    my first musical memories from my parents are of
    Elvis
    Willie Nelson
    Neil Diamond
    Fleetwood Mac
    and oddly
    Til Tuesday

My first record of my own was
    Michael Jackson Thriller (still love it)
    I was in kindergarten, 1983

Around ages 8-10, basic 80s pop:
    Gloria Estivan and the Miami Sound Machine
    Whitney Houston
    Lionel Richie, Dancin on the Ceiling (lol)
    moving into
    Tiffany,
    Debbie Gibson

HOWEVER
    somewhere around this time
    Paul Simon's Graceland came on to my radar

Around ages 10-12- bad pop and R&B
    New Kids on the Block
    Paula Abdul
    Bel Biv Devoe
    Bobbie Brown
    And even Milli Vanilli!!!

yes this is an embarrassing time. However, I remember some GOOD stuff sneaking into my earlobes at this time
    REM
    The Cure
    Even a little Aerosmith

By 8th grade, 1991 I'm getting into some rock music, even though it was totally unacceptable to listen to anything but rap/hip hop at school
    Guns n' Roses
    REM
    u2
    Aerosmith

DECEMBER/JANUARY 1991, AGE 13: HEAR ALIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME

High School: 1992-1996
    When I started High School my 3 favorite bands where
    Pearl Jam
    U2
    G n R

The just got into the whole "grunge" thing:
    Soundgarden
    AIC
    Mudhoney
    a little Nirvanna but it was never really my thing
    went back and looked at music from the 60s/70s:
    The Who
    The Doors

As I moved through high school, got more into like "hippy" music, folk
    Paul Simon
    DMB
    stuff like Tom Petty
    and was really into Natalie Merchant
    BUT ALSO
    got into more mid-90s "alternachick rock"
    (this was very big in boston)
    Lemonheads
    Juliana Hatfield
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Throwing Muses
    Machinery Hall
    The Shiela Divine
    (all boston bands)
    Sugar
    The Pixies
    The Breeders
    Dinosaur Junior
    ...god just about anything...I was a music sponge in high school

COLLEGE 1996-2000
    Music is in a very depressing time
    I start getting into FOO FIGHTERS big time, BAD RELIGION, SEBADOH
    Go back to check out smaller bands from the 90s:
    The Gits
    Green Apple Quickstep
    Go Back to the 80s:
    THE SMITHS!!!!
    OLD U2
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Liked to go out skanking to my friend's ska band!

2000-present
    Anything new from my all time favorite bands
    WEEZER
    Around 2001 I really got into PETE YORN I've seen him several times
    By this point I've got so many CDs, I don't need much new stuff

Sorry so long this post was asking for trouble when I came along!!!
  • NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    In the mid-80s, around age 6 or 7, I really liked stuff like Duran Duran and Depeche Mode. Still like both those bands today. Beastie Boys came out around '86 and I loved that.

Later 80s/early 90s. Got into some hair metal because of my older sister. That's the only music I ever really listened to in my life that I disown today, with the exception of a couple bands. Also discovered INXS at the time, still listen to them a lot. Plus Metallica, Megadeth, etc.

1992 was the year that started to shape what I'm still into today. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc. Also discovered death metal around this time, being that it exploded when I was in Florida. Still like classic death metal/tech death bands.

Once I found Pearl Jam and Soundgarden I didn't have much room for anything else. The output of both these bands blew me away and still does today. Definitely my all time favorite bands. Also in the early 90s discovered The Doors, Hendrix, The Who, Black Sabbath.

As I've gotten older (mid-to-late 20s) I've really gotten into stuff like Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Bjork, Ani DiFranco. Now a fan of older blues and jazz. Love some Miles Davis! Also I've become a big Frank Zappa fan in the last ten years.

I still find myself going back to Pearl Jam and Soundgarden ultimately
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Thriller was also my first album.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Thriller was also my first album.
    mine too
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    born in 1988

early years (4-11)
    grew up hearing my mom/sister playing AIC,soundgarden, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, live and nirvana.
    dad only played Pearl Jam. Too young to care about any music honestly. I guess I liked the band Live.

pre-teen/early teen (12-15)

Started listening to some Korn and Limp Bizkit until I was around 14. Then I bought my first walkman which could hold about 400 songs. This is when my taste started to cange. I downloaded all of the hits from all the 90's bands. I probably had about 5 or more PJ songs.

16/17

I was recommended Primus and downloaded a few of their songs. I was hooked and bought every single primus album. I couldnt get enough of claypool. Then somewhere/some how I decided to buy an Avenged Sevenfold cd. I listened to it and basically tried convincing myself it was good. It wasn't. Then I asked to borrow all of my oldest sisters CD's. At this point I had PJ's first 3 albums and every aic album. When I was 17 I decided that AIC was my new favorite band. Then I got tix to my first real show (Pearl Jam) and decided to buy every other PJ album to get myself familiar with them. I bought riot act and binaural at once. Then I bought No Code, then Yield, Then self titled once it came out. AIC was still my fav. Then I started playing the drums. This is when I got into the whole "Neil Peart" phase. (I am totally passed that now) I bought literally FIFTEEN out of 18 of Rush's albums. I guess they became my favorite band (you can see this whole favorite band phase I wen though, just a phase)

18-present (19)

At this point I have seen PJ, AIC (twice), Primus, Rush and a bunch of other small shows. This is when I realized PJ is bar none my favorite band. Now I am in the process of discovering new music. Because of PJ I have gotten into MMJ, The Who, Grateful dead, some jazz (harrybu mccage), and any other classic rock basically. My taste in music is gradually becoming more soft. Just copy and paste my facebook link to see my fav bands.

Brief summary of favorite bands through the years:

Live
    Korn
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Primus
    Alice in Chains
    Rush
    Pearl Jam

Summing it up, Pearl Jam opened up my taste in music to liking bands I didnt think I would ever like. I Know for a fact I am done with those favorite band phases. No other band does it for me like PJ. I am always going back to PJ at the end of the day.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    Seeing as how I'm in my mid 40's this is going to take some heavy duty time traveling.

Mid to late 60's: The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are my first musical memories. Apparently I rocked my playpen hard when my older sister would put on "Day Tripper" or "Satisfaction". I'm pretty sure that The Stones' "Gimme Shelter" was the first song that I actually went "what-the-fuck-is-this-it-is-amazing" ga ga over. I was 7 years old, and it's still one of my favorite songs. Ever.

70's: Early to mid it was all about metal and glam; David Bowie, Alice Cooper, T. Rex, Queen & Kiss. I also loved Sabbath & Zeppelin but the glitter/theatrical/metal hybrid thing was more to my liking. The mid to late part of the decade it went from glam to more straight ahead hard rock like Heart, AC/DC, Bad Co., Scorpions & Aerosmith right into punk and new wave: Sex Pistols, The Clash, Patti Smith Group, The Buzzcocks, Ramones, Talking Heads, The Cars, Elvis Costello, The Police & The B52's. While I still loved "the old rock," bands like Styx, Journey & Foreigner were rearing their faceless, generic heads and the "new" stuff was just sounding better and better.

80's: Everything that was great about punk and new wave started going wrong early in the "me decade." I actually remember Loverboy being advertised as a punk band and Men At Work were billed as new wave. The "new wave of british heavy metal" was ok for about 10 minutes with some good music by bands like Iron Maiden, but when it morphed into L.A. hair metal I jumped ship for more gothic bands like Sisters Of Mercy, The Cure, Bauhaus, Joy Division and to some extent synth bands like Yaz, Erasure, New Order & Depeche Mode. The Smiths fit in here somewhere, too. Mind you, I love some songs from the Aqua Net years of metal, but the mentalities of the musicians on a whole were just off the charts. Unfortunately, if I can't respect the musician to some degree I can't get behind the music either. The 3 shiney, bright, beautiful lights of the decade: U2, R.E.M. & Pixies. Two of them are still in my top three to this day.

90's: The dreaded "G" word. Say what you want, but the short lived grunge thing was a needed shot in the arm. Pearl Jam and the usual suspects brought organics back to rock. The Chili Peppers brought the funk back to rock with "Blood Sugar Sex Magik." NIN and Marilyn Manson brought the fear back to rock. Garbage proved you could bring electronics AND pop back to rock. Local H keeps bringing the grunge thing back to rock with every release and it's kinda cool every time.

Present: Now, I just listen to everything and anything. And it's all good!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    70s
    I was raised on a diet of Split Enz, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, Frank Zappa, 10CC, Dire Straits and Manhattan Transfer (courtesy of my parents). Also listened to alot of Beatles, ABBA and The Beach Boys (cassettes and vinyls that our parents gave my sister and I).

Early to mid 80s
    My sister (3 years older) was listening to ALOT of Nena and Thompson Twins, I followed but then became obsessed with Culture Club and Wham (don't judge, I was about 9 years old), from there we progressed(?) to Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears, a-Ha (c'mon, teenaged girls in the 80s), we also liked Madonna (but mum didn't approve, she thought she was a tart)

Mid to late 80s
    INXS hit with Kick in '88 and I became heavily into Johnny Diesel & The Injectors (another Aussie rock band) and also U2. The U2 obsession continued well into the 90s (I still love them).

Early 90s
    I was one of the only people that didn't like U2's Achtung Baby, but by then I'd discovered the Red Hot Chili Peppers & Pearl Jam. The Chili's were originally in the lead, but it didn't last long with Pearl Jam taking first place, where they've been ever since. From Pearl Jam I discovered Neil Young. I also started listening to Led Zeppelin (I was somewhat exposed to them growing up, but only when my mum wasn't around... dad loved them, she didn't).

90s cont'd
    Also heavily into Soundgarden, AIC, The Tea Party, Faith No More and JEFF BUCKLEY. Jeff Buckley gave Pearl Jam a run for their money for a while, but we all know how tragically that ended.

00s
    Muse, Muse, Muse! I always say that Pearl Jam have my heart but Muse are my crack. I've swung back to more British music these days. Aside from Pearl Jam and Muse, I listen to alot of Snow Patrol, Keane, Coldplay, I also discovered The Clash (better late than never). I also like folky music... Jason Mraz, Yoav, Lior, Joshua Radin, Ray LaMontagne, Brett Dennen, Ian Hutchinson and Aussie band George... something about a male voice and a guitar (except for George which has brother and sister singing). I was a total music snob in the 90s (while in my 20s), but I listen to a wide variety of music these days.

So, for me I guess it would go:

Split Enz, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Culture Club, Wham, INXS, Johnny Diesel & The Injectors, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Tea Party, Jeff Buckley, Muse, Snow Patrol, Keane.

First 5 concerts:
    Wham '85
    Spandau Ballet '85
    Tears For Fears '85
    Thompson Twins '86
    Dire Straits '86 (with my parents)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Started off with all of my father's and uncle's albums as a kid (I had insomnia from the age of three, so my dad bought me headphones and let me stay up all night): Bob Dylan, The Who, The Guess Who (still a favorite!), Grand Funk Railroad, The Beatles, The Band, Grateful Dead, etc.

Then came Paula Abdul, Tiffany, and Debbie Gibson. Those were dark years. About the time all the other 12-yr-olds thought Vanilla Ice was dreamy (ugh)...

I went to Target and bought Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Into the Great Wide Open": still my most listened-to album.

Then came Smashing Pumpkins, PJ, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Ani DiFranco, Ben Harper, Jimi, Janis, and now I'm on to:

PJ (a'course)
    Joseph Arthur
    Martin Sexton
    Regina Spektor
    Rolling Stones
    Juana Molina
    Neil Young
    Michael Penn

and I just bought Deerhoof this morning, because everyone raves about them.

:)
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Started off with Bon Jovi, G n R and, gulp, Bryan Adams when I was 12......

Then Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Nirvana, stp, aic and Soundgarden when I was 14....

Then NIN, Manson, Tool/Perfect Circle when I was 16-18

Nowadays, at 24, my fave bands/artists are Pearl Jam, Sigur Ros, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Nick Cave, Radiohead, Beatles, KOL, Delays.....

I've mellowed alot but PJ is a consistant fave for 10 years.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    late 70s- early 80s:
    Usually listened to whatever my parents played in the house. Lots of CCR, The Who, Elton John, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, among others.

Favorite bands at this time: didn't really have one.

mid - late 80s:
    Started becoming a big fan of music and buying cassettes with my weekly allowance. Like most kids at that age, I started out with your typical 80s stuff-- Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Men at Work, Duran Duran, Huey Lewis & the News, and the soundtracks from Top Gun, Footloose, and Ghostbusters. Then my friend and I discovered his older brother's record collection and started making mix tapes with all kinds of great stuff on 'em. For my 12th birthday, some friends bought me my first "real" albums: U2's The Joshua Tree, Bruce Springsteen`s Born in the U.S.A., Midnight Oil's Diesel & Dust, and Synchronicity by the Police.

Favorite bands at this time: U2, Midnight Oil, The Police, Bruce Springsteen.

late 80s/early 90s:
    My sister bought me Appetite for Destruction for Christmas '87 and I became an instant Guns N' Roses fan, but when they started adding horns and backup singers for the Use Your Illusion tour, I started to lose interest. I also went on a big classic rock kick around this time with plenty of Zeppelin, CCR, and especially The Doors. In late 1989 I discovered something that up until then was considered extremely un-cool: Canadian rock. A little-known rock n' roll five piece from Kingston, Ontario called The Tragically Hip came out of nowhere and kicked everybody's ass with their own unique brand of no frills, old-school hard-rock. They wrote amazing and intelligent songs about small town life, prison breaks, drug addiction, and broken relationships, and Gord Downie`s lyrics were often full of uniquely Canadian images and iconography. With the help of fellow countrymen like 54-40, Change of Heart, Rheostatics, Headstones, the Grapes of Wrath, 13 Engines, and Lowest of the Low, they spoke to a new generation of young Canadian rock fans and made it cool to write songs about their own country . This opened up the floodgates for a massive rock n' roll renaissance in Canada that is still being felt today. The recent worldwide popularity of Canadian artists like Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Feist, and the New Pornographers can be traced back to that first wave of bands in the early 90s. (*a little side note: my high school garage band once opened a show for a local Calgary punk band called Placebo, who`s lead singer was none other than 17-year old Leslie Feist).

Like any teenage rock fan at this time, I was also heavily into the alternative rock movement. I had become a big fan of Nirvana, R.E.M., Radiohead, Buffalo Tom, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Smashing Pumpkins, and of course the almighty Pearl Jam.

Favorite bands at this time: The Tragically Hip, Pearl Jam, Midnight Oil, the Doors, R.E.M.

late 90s - 2000:
    Dove headfirst into the alt-country/folk movement and became a huge fan of bands like Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt, Steve Earle, the Jayhawks, Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams, and Johnny Cash's "American" series. And of course their Canadian counterparts: Blue Rodeo, Cuff the Duke, Kathleen Edwards, the Sadies, Sarah Harmer, Ron Sexsmith, Hayden, and the Guthries. I also discovered the genius of Tom Waits during this time and started buying every album the guy ever released. An obsession that continues to this day.

Favorite bands at this time: The Tragically Hip & Pearl Jam (by this time I was a lifelong fan of both bands and neither one was ever going to be replaced on my list of favorites.) Wilco, Rheostatics, Sarah Harmer, Tom Waits.

2000 - present:
    Discovered amazing bands like The Constantines, the Weakerthans, Matt Mays & El Torpedo, Sam Roberts, Wintersleep, the Hold Steady, New Pornographers, Arcade Fire, Feist,

Current favorite bands: the Hip (of course), Pearl Jam (of course), Wilco, the Weakerthans, Constantines, Wintersleep, Sarah Harmer.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • mertmert Posts: 167
    Started very young - I knew all the words to Cocaine by Eric Clapton when I was three. But I'll go from about 7 years-present, which is 26. I went with favourite artist for the time, but there always were some ties!

-New Kids on the Block
    -MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice
    -Barenaked Ladies
    -Green Day/Offspring
    -Bush
    -Pearl Jam
    -The Tragically Hip
    -Silverchair
    -Rage Against the Machine/Foo Fighters
    -Sam Roberts
    -John Mayer
    -Brad Paisley
    -Kings of Leon

So, for me, I haven't strayed too much, but BNL started me down the rock-ish road.

First five concerts:
    - Bush, 97
    - Our Lady Peace, 98
    - Edgefest 99 (for Silverchair)
    - Summersault 2000 (for Foo Fighters)
    - Pearl Jam 2000
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    Oh boy:

birth - present: The Who, Queen, David Bowie

Grades 2-7: The Beatles

Grades 8-11: The Cars

Grades 9 - present: The Church, Roxy Music, The Clash, Violent Femmes, The Ramones, The Cure, U2, REM, Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel

high school (I'm female): Duran Duran

post high school/ college: still The Church, Roxy Music, The Clash, U2 etc. Add Paul Weller/ Style Council/ The Jam, Everything But the Girl

post college to present: the above plus Lloyd Cole, Bob Marley, Grateful Dead, Green Day, classic jazz, Nirvana, Pearl Jam

concerts: I have been to relatively few, for a variety of reasons. First shows include The Cars (I loved them, but they sucked live), Style Council (awesome!), Midnight Oil (great show), the Church (also a great show). I have seen Lloyd Cole live more than any other artist.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    The Guess Who (still a favorite!)

:)

Oh, I've liked them for just about forever, too!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.