Riders on the Storm Free Tickets!!!! NYC 5/18

LiveRust007LiveRust007 Posts: 15
edited May 2007 in Other Music
At first I thought this was too good to be true myself but I guess tickets have not sold and they are trying to fill the theater. Now my opinion on these guys touring is mixed but at this price I'll certainly go with an open mind. Heres the trick... just go to the link below

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003E8A9A168607?artistid=1000181&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1&brand=nokiany

in the special offers and promotions section request however many you need and enter the password "riders" The only charge is a 75 cents conveniance charge on each ticket and then a $5 order. it cost me 9.50 for 6 tickets!! I know it sounds too good to be true (only if eddie was singing would it be) but its through ticketmaster.com.

Hope to see some of you there Ill be wearing a Pearl Jam shirt... What a great FREE way to spend a Friday night...Just paying it forward. Cheers!

BTW the show is at the Nokia Theater in Times Square
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    unreal. that is nuts. If I did not already have plans, I would go.
  • LiveRust007LiveRust007 Posts: 15
    thats exactly how I felt... even the ticketmaster customer service guy was shocked and said he was gonna go now as well. Pretty surprised there have not been more replies. Ive been getting really psyched for the show and found a setlist from last week...maybe this will motivate some of you guys:

Love Me Two Times
    Break on Through
    Peace Frog
    Blue Sunday
    Strange Days
    When the Musics Over
    Moonlight Drive
    Wild Child
    Spanish Caravan
    Whiskey Bar
    Backdoor Man
    Texas Radio
    Touch me
    LA Woman

E. People are Strange
    E2 Light my Fire
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    *gasps*

Ok that setlist is outta control!! :eek: :D I'm drooling over here. haha. WOW! Thank you so much for posting that LiveRust007...and for posting this amazing ass deal on FREE tickets!! That is too fuckin cool! Congrats and I look forward to hearing all about your experience.

I'll be seeing them in London next month...a few days before PJ. :) I can't wait!! I hear ya about going into it with an open mind. I'm just beyond psyched to see Ray THE FUCKIN MAN Manzarek and bad ass Robby Krieger. There's no way these 2 legends can disappoint. :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    is this a cover band
  • LiveRust007LiveRust007 Posts: 15
    Well it is and it is not.... they have toured as The Doors but then got sued by orginal drummer John Desmore who is not participating in these tours. As such they switchd their name to ROTS. However both the original keyboardist and guitarist (Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger) play with this band and they are both legends. Vocals is being taking care of by ex Fuel singer Brett Scallions. I was not a fan of Fuel but multiple reviews say he has done an excellent job this tour and really nails Jim's parts. The way I figure if they are 75% as good as the original band, it will be an awesome time! If not, well again it was 9 bucks for 6 tickets.....
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter Posts: 2,832
    just bought 5 tix for $10.90 total in the STAND area....not a huge fan of the tours but def a fan of chilling and smoking with friends to good music
    thanks for the tip bro now i just hope they play roadhouse blues
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter Posts: 2,832
    just bought 5 tix for $10.90 total in the STAND area....not a huge fan of the tours but def a fan of chilling and smoking with friends to good music
    thanks for the tip bro now i just hope they play roadhouse blues

anyone want me tix...3 of my friends just called and wont go now...im really pissed its not the fact that im out $11 its the fact that i wasnt gonna go, they convinced me to put them on my visa, then cop out...im fuckin pissed
    i can forward u the tix via email if u want 'em...$10 for 5 Standing tix
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • liverust... you are my hero. you made my entire month with that post. seriously. you don't even know. you should post here more often...

i noticed the post yesterday afternoon and immediately bought six tickets for $11.65. ordinarily i would have been skeptical, but the show was that night so there was no time to ask questions. worst case scenario was that i would have been out eleven bucks... no big deal. so i sent out a text message blast "I HAVE SIX FREE DOORS TICKETS FOR TONIGHT" and it took about two minutes for all of them to be claimed.

i knew about the show as soon as it was announced, but i had no intention of paying for tickets. i think they were asking around $50 or something like that. and i'm as big a doors fan as someone who was born in 1981 could possibly be, but i wasn't paying $50 for what i perceived to be a novelty band.

and i totally would have missed out. this may be a novelty band, but they absolutely did not approach it as a novelty show. not in any way. from the first note, it was clear that robby krieger and ray manzarek had every intention of putting on a rock show that was on par with what they were used to from back in the day. i would go so far as to say that there are many current bands (comprised of all their original members) whose live approach is much less genuine than riders' was. you know what i'm talking about: a 75-90 minute greatest hits setlist and then they're off to the next city. either they don't care enough to put in any extra effort, or they just don't have the ability to.

but not these guys. the show was two hours long and they jammed out on every song, with krieger and manzarek trading mind-blowing solos back and forth throughout the set. this is the whole point of a live show, if you ask me. it gives the musicians a chance to demonstrate their skill aside from what the fans get to hear on the album. the extended intro to spanish caravan was great. and ray played part of the light my fire solo with his foot up on the keyboard. these guys are truly phenomenal musicians, and the chemistry they have together is indescribable. this is something that tends to get lost when people talk about the doors, since jim is always the focal point.

as far as brett scallions was concerned... honestly, robby and ray were so damn good that it allowed me to divert my attention away from brett scallions. his voice was a dead-on impression, and he did well in that regard. playing the role of jim morrison is extremely difficult because he's such a colorful character. brett basically had two options: sing the vocals and fade into the background or do a complete elvis-like impersonation of morrison. he chose the latter. he dressed like jim, he talked like jim, and at one point he even said "we should all go outside and run naked and free in times square" or something like that. if jim had said it, it would have made sense because he was out of his mind. but brett scallions just sounded like he was playing a role with lines like that. and i'm not gonna say it was a bad thing necessarily. again, fronting this type of band is extremely difficult. i'd say he did a pretty good job overall, although the spiky blonde hair didn't really add to the illusion. val kilmer was better. ;)

the setlist was similar to the one posted above, except that they opened the encore with riders on the storm (i can't remember if the song order was exactly the same... it was close). i'm surprised i remember as much as i do considering how monumentally fucked up i was (i'm on the phone with my friend right now... he's asking me the standard "what happened last night?" questions and he says that the show was awesome even though he can't remember a single song they played).

a great night overall. definitely a hell of a lot better than whatever else we would have gotten into. i'd recommend that everyone go see these guys who has the chance to... just for robby and ray's brilliance if nothing else. i'd even recommend paying full price for the tickets. ;)

and i also wanna say how fucking cool it is that they let people in for free. it shows that they really care about people hearing their music (not just about making money). what other band would have done this? the rolling stones would have just cancelled the show, claiming that mick jagger had a throat infection. you can say it's lame that they weren't able to sell tickets in the first place, but the show would have definitely been sold out at full price if they had billed themselves as the doors (even with the exact same lineup).

alright. that's it for my rant. thanks again, liverust!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    they've been getting great reviews on ray manzarek's board, except for an original doors' fan. he felt that only young punk rockers like brett and that he was gonna sing a fuel song any minute.

I wish I could see them, but they are not coming around here.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Wow BetterManningNYG! Thank you so much for the stellar review. :D I love how everything worked out for you. Amazing! Your experience seriously has me grinning from ear to ear and soooooooo extra excited for my show. :D WOW!!! I just got my tickets for the London show. I'm all confirmed and ready to go. AHHH! I cant waaaait! The day before PJ too! :eek: Talk about back to back euphoria. Uh huh, just like you said I am ALL ABOUT going strictly for the musical geniuses that are Ray and Robby! The Doors of the 20th Century kinda rubbed me the wrong way but whatever the fuck....I have decided to put that all aside cuze I simply NEED to see these legends live. I NEED to.

Whooa wait...Ray soloed with his FOOT ON THE KEYBOARD!!!? :eek: Umm?? Oh my fuckin loooord. :eek: HE IS THE MAN!!!!! I can't believe I'll get to experience his brilliance firsthand. Holy shit! Once again, your review has me more excited than ever. Thank you so much for all the mind blowing details. Sounds like one hell of a night!

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • glad to do it. i was still buzzing from the experience. i still am, really. it'll never be the same as seeing the doors, but the chemistry between ray and robby gave me a completely new perspective on how amazing the original band must have been live. i started thinking, "wow, i wish john densmore was here. he'd be feeding off their energy too." and i stood there contemplating this for a while. and maybe it had something to do with the mind-altering substances, but all of a sudden a light went on in my head. and for a split second i was able to picture jim morrison standing up there. and he was the same legendary character that we all know and love from the stories, except that he was feeding off this same amazing energy that was happening between ray and robby. and i've been a huge fan for a long time, but the thought of this concept suddenly made the doors seem infinitely more dynamic to me: four amazing musicians who together were a thousand times better than the sum of their parts... how fucking amazing must they have been together on stage?!? especially if jim showed up sober-ish... ;)

and here's how i see it now: imagine growing up with all of pearl jam's studio albums but never getting the opportunity to see them live. we'd all still be really big fans, but it just wouldn't be the same. people could tell us how amazing their live shows were, but we'd never quite be able to grasp it fully. and maybe it's a stretch, but that's how i'm picturing the doors right now. and it's just really exciting to think about what that experience must have been like. and now i'm jealous of my dad. he saw them multiple times.

and yes, ray played the damn keyboard with his foot. he had his right foot and his left hand up on the keys and he was just going off that way... stomping around and never missing a note. it was incredible. you'll have a great time at the london show... robby/ray and PJ back-to-back??? HOLY SHIT!!! :eek: everyone cool is playing london that week, aren't they? (i promised myself i wouldn't bring up chris cornell in an unrelated thread, given everything that's been going on in this forum the last few days... :rolleyes: oh well... ;):))

have fun!
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    val kilmer was better. ;)

No, Eddie was better ;)

Cool, thanks for the review..If I had seen this post in time, i'd def have gone
    Hopefully they'll come back and I'll get my chance
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I saw the band back when they had the guy from "the cult" singing for them, and they sounded incredible, Ray and Robbie were dead on, and sounded just like back in the day, jammed alot of songs out, even played "spanish caravan", was kinda hoping for "the crystal ship", or "the end", but it was a great show, but I gotta say I'm a bit dissapointed they got Brett to sing for them, but oh well, I'd probobly still go if I lived in NY
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    are tix really $198 for the show tonight in michigan? (that's what TM says for day of show....from $30 up to $198?)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more