Lolla schedule released!!

Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
edited June 2008 in Other Music
pretty happy with how everything turned out... not alot of overlap... the only conflict i have is RAGE vs. wilco on saturday... and since I have already seen RAGE and dont wanna get trampled by a bunch of drunk morons moshpitting Ill go with Wilco, which im sure will be less crowded and more chill like BH harper was last year vs. Daft

and luckily theres not a whole lot i want to see on sunday so i can camp out for good seats at the NIN stage most of the day... should be hilarious to see how few people are at kanye... especially after the "kanye sucks" chants at Roo

saturday is probably the best all around day tho.... does it offend you yeah?, mason jennings, the gutter twins, explosions in the sky, toadies, and wilco

the backwards solo headliner thing is weird but im glad i dont have to choose between radiohead and anyone else

and im looking forward to tweedys mini set on the kidz stage... they seem to have alot of fun shit going on there this year as usual

thats my review :D what are your thoughts?
"Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• clk019clk019 Posts: 88
    I agree with the reverse solo headliner.... Interesting.. but I see why they did it. I don't like Wilco and Rage on at the same time..... Personally, put Rage and Kayne on at the same time.... but then again... nothing will make everyone happy...

Black Keys got the same slot they did a year ago and should put on a good show... That's one to line up for early.... first day, crowd still getting there.... camped out by radiohead...

All in all good lookin sked but not enough of a one-day value anywhere to make me buy a tic...Went all three days last year and had fun, but can't find the one stretch I need to plunk down $160 for a pair..... Wilco out have a blast trying to avoid sound bleed...
    So held by these thoughts
    They refuse to slip away
    Hangman in dreamland
    About to call your name
    Much to be done
    Much to be

07/26/98, 10/08/00, 06/21/03, 09/09/05, 05/16/06, 05/17/06 – (WOW), 05/19/06 – (DOUBLE WOW), 05/20/06, 08/05/07, 06/17/08, 05/07/10, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 10/20/14 – (THE MOST MAGICAL THING EVER), 11/14/16 – (Temple of the Dog), 05/09/22. Coming Soon: 08/29/24 and 08/31/24.

• lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    Great schedule...festival of the year, easily. The end.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    My favorite stretch is Sunday night......Flogging Molly, Love and Rockets, The National and NIN.

I am used to going to Coachella, which usually has the best undercard of any festival.

For Lolla, it looks as if we can get there a bit later in the afternoon, and unlike Coachella, the venue is close enough to the hotels, so there is no need to worrry about traffic (It can take over an hour to get from the highway to the Coachella grounds).

Looks like we will have plenty of time to catch a Cubs game on Saturday!
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

how can you have Wilco and Rage playing at the same time.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Saturnal wrote:

i can't say anything about it since i've never been, but you can't certainly say anything about it being the best when there's tons of em out there. bonnaroo, by the looks of it having been to it for the first time this year, looks to be better on the fact alone that there is four days of music, it's a true festival community with camping and a mass of activities including top-notch comedians, and the fact that music goes until 5am, with no curfews and no city atmosphere. Oh, and yeah, headliners like Rage would be playing double the amount of time they were alloted at Lolla.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • I don't know. You should really get to Lolla before you pass judgement. I've never been to Bonnaroo, but it sounded like it was awesome this year. But I'm just not really a camping/nonshower dude.

Lolla is actually cheaper, and the atmosphere is fucking amazing. Right in the middle of downtown Chicago with the beautiful skyline surrounding you. It's pretty epic. Then at night with the building aglow looks sweet as well.

This year they've added a shitload of cool Aftershows which will be very fun...I mean Battles on Saturday at Lolla then Saturday night at the Double Door? Fuck yes.

Plus I live in Chi-town so obviously I have a bias. But Lolla, especially with this year's line-up, looks amazing as always. It's the class of the fesitvals, IMO...not only cause of the set-up but it's history.

Also, Wilco vs. Rage does sort of suck...but Rage it is I think. Just because I saw Rage and Wilco play at Voodoo Fest last year and then Wilco two nights last March and the Nels Cline Singers a week ago. Gotta go with Rage again....but it's very hard...I love Wilco.
    Horry Kow!
  • LivingBubbaLivingBubba Posts: 135
    Fucking Wilco/Rage conflict sucks so bad!!! I`ve went to Lolla last year and Bonnaroo this last weekend and I think Bonnaroo blows the shit out of Lolla. The vibe on the farm is just crazy ...... I`ll be at Lolla this year but after seeing the shows at Bonnaroo I`ll be hard pressed to make another trip back to Chicago.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    The only conflict for me is Saul Williams and Flogging Molly. I love them both. I think I'm going to go with Saul though. We'll pick Rage. And NIN of course, which is the main reason we're going.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    radiohead the first night is extremely anti-climactic....ive seen NIN, so ill probably see Kanye for the experience, but what the hell kind of show is that going to be after radiohead and rage?!?
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Oxxys wrote:
    LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

how can you have Wilco and Rage playing at the same time.
    they mustve figured wilco and rage were different enough from one another that they wouldnt share a fanbase... like kanye and NIN clearly do not... and they are radically opposite from one another... but any true music lover knows theyre both great... im really pissed... the more i think about it, i think im gonna split my time between both of them... even if that means shitty spots... itll be fun to rock out hardcore at rage... and i regretted not getting to daft punk last year (eventho the ed cameo at BH was good)

• snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    dude go to rage. if you've seen them then you already know how down right fucking awesome they are to see live. bring some advil and have a good time. rage all the way.
    snipes824 wrote:
    dude go to rage. if you've seen them then you already know how down right fucking awesome they are to see live. bring some advil and have a good time. rage all the way.
    ya might be right... considering wilco are hometown boys i know they will be back around here sometime very soon... and probably play like 5 nights when they do... and im already pretty burned out on sky blue sky so itd be better to wait for a new album... and who knows how much longer rage will be touring... im hoping the fact that its lasted this long means a new albums in the works

i just didnt want to taint the perfect memory of rage at alpine last year... that show was EPIC and if their set at lolla is anything but i will be disappointed... but who knows... maybe theyll bust out something brand new!

wish saturday wasnt so loaded so i could get a good spot for their set... i was lawn at my last rage show... hoping to get close for radiohead, rage, and NIN... after last summer with back to back front row PJ i never wanna go back to far away again! theres definitely something to being able to make eye contact with the band

• snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    sgossard3 wrote:
    ya might be right... considering wilco are hometown boys i know they will be back around here sometime very soon... and probably play like 5 nights when they do... and im already pretty burned out on sky blue sky so itd be better to wait for a new album... and who knows how much longer rage will be touring... im hoping the fact that its lasted this long means a new albums in the works

i just didnt want to taint the perfect memory of rage at alpine last year... that show was EPIC and if their set at lolla is anything but i will be disappointed... but who knows... maybe theyll bust out something brand new!

wish saturday wasnt so loaded so i could get a good spot for their set... i was lawn at my last rage show... hoping to get close for radiohead, rage, and NIN... after last summer with back to back front row PJ i never wanna go back to far away again! theres definitely something to being able to make eye contact with the band
    i hear ya. i caught rage at rock the bells last summer at randalls island and waited up all day to get real close. your word choice was perfect, it was epic.

the setlist was flawless, the band was tight, the energy was incredible. i would pay a lot to be able to see rage again.

my ass was kicked, though. those crowds are rough. i was bruised and battered and dehydrated but it was all worth it. wilco is a nice little band, i haven't heard much of them so i won't pretend to compare the 2 bands, but it would be a no brainer for me.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    where the hell is Perry? he is listed as an act but not on the schedule? He played the kids stage last year and it was fucking unreal, those kids from teh rock allstars are the real deal.

If you find Perry PM me please
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    where the hell is Perry? he is listed as an act but not on the schedule? He played the kids stage last year and it was fucking unreal, those kids from teh rock allstars are the real deal.

If you find Perry PM me please
    perry ferrell posts here??? i saw him on the schedule on the kidz stage... playing with the allstars... i think thats the only spot hes playing

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I've been to multiple Roos and Lolla's. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. They are both festivals, but are run completely differently and really should not be compared on the same level, other than that there are a shit ton of bands at each.

But Lolla, especially with this year's line-up, looks amazing as always. It's the class of the fesitvals, IMO

You haven't been to Roo; have you been to any others? I'm guessing no.

If you had, there's no way you'd be saying this. I've been to 4 Roos and, after August, 4 Chicago Lollas. Lolla does not come close to matching the "class" of Bonnaroo. No way, no how.

I urge you to get over your aversion to camping and not showering (though, for the 1000th time on this board, there are showers at Roo if you want one) and go to a Bonnaroo. Only then will you understand that Lollapalooza, as great as it is to be a part of every year, just cannot compare to the Bonnaroo experience.
    Also, unless you're FROM Chicago or the immediate surroundings (like you are) Lollapalooza is in no way cheaper than Bonnaroo other than ticket price. I live 6hrs away from Chicago and 17hrs from Tennessee, yet after factoring in lodging, food and all that other crap, Lolla has always cost at least a couple hundred dollars more than Roo in the years I have been going.
    AndySlash wrote:
    Also, unless you're FROM Chicago or the immediate surroundings (like you are) Lollapalooza is in no way cheaper than Bonnaroo other than ticket price. I live 6hrs away from Chicago and 17hrs from Tennessee, yet after factoring in lodging, food and all that other crap, Lolla has always cost at least a couple hundred dollars more than Roo in the years I have been going.
    aw that sucks... being from chicago is nice

total cost for this years lolla (3 days):
    $60 (tickets)
    $30 (poster)
    $50 (tshirts)
    $20 (food)
    $160

not too shabby... its nice having friends living in the city

yeah, I've gotten the $60 tix every year, too! If I paid full price I'd have to add a hundred and change to that.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Saturnal wrote:
    Really?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    Really?
    really really

sgossard3 wrote:
    really really
    I think the Roo line-up is MUCH better
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Until Lollapalooza takes their show on the road again, as it was in the beginning, I just don't give a shit about it.

I miss Lollapalooza at The Gorge. :(
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Until Lollapalooza takes their show on the road again, as it was in the beginning, I just don't give a shit about it.

I miss Lollapalooza at The Gorge. :(
    Ditto! :D I loved the festival being a traveling thing. I was going to by tickets for the last ever touring year 2003?? and they pulled the plug on the whole deal. Would have been great to see the pixies that year. There are still a few fave bands playing it this year of mine, (Toadies, Wilco, Radiohead) but yeah, can't afford to travel for this festival.
    Looks like Ozzfest is turning into this kind of deal too.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    AndySlash wrote:
    yeah, I've gotten the $60 tix every year, too! If I paid full price I'd have to add a hundred and change to that.

If I'd had gotten the $60 tix I'd be going and loving it...that said, I think I may be sitting this one out....or maybe a 1-day pass.
    hippiemom = goodness
    If I'd had gotten the $60 tix I'd be going and loving it...that said, I think I may be sitting this one out....or maybe a 1-day pass.
    that's the one thing that I do like about Lolla- one day passes, but if I traveled to Chicago to see the festival, I would want to see all three days
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan wrote:
    I think the Roo line-up is MUCH better
    PJ, sigur ros, robert randolph and bb king wouldve been great to see... but id much rather NIN, radiohead, rage, wilco, raconteurs, gutter twins, explosions in the sky, etc... theres no arguing that lolla is STACKED this year! i guess it comes down to opinion and what bands youre into though

sgossard3 wrote:
    i guess it comes down to opinion and what bands youre into though

Very true and the Raconteurs were at Roo also
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    sgossard3 wrote:
    aw that sucks... being from chicago is nice

total cost for this years lolla (3 days):
    $60 (tickets)
    $30 (poster)
    $50 (tshirts)
    $20 (food)
    $160

not too shabby... its nice having friends living in the city
    zaaactly....I got the $60 tix too. That alone makes Lolla the best festival this year. So much bang for the buck, it's retarded. I'm actually paying more to see NIN by themselves the following week (still worth it tho :P)