Jefferson Airplane

JoeJoe Posts: 25
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Been going through a bit of a 60's music binge lately, lots of different stuff. JA have some great tunes though, White Rabbit, Volunteers, Triad, Somebody to Love...good vibe about their music. Anyone else here like em?
Through the darkness of futures past, the magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds: "Fire Walk With Me." We lived among the people - I think you say convenience store? We lived above it. I mean it like it is, like it sounds. My name is Mike. His name is BOB.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i went with my friend to a dance show that another friend was in (she goes to a fine arts school and the shows are amazing) and one of the dances was to white rabbit... i love that song!
    when we got home i looked up a buncha JA stuff... i love it for some reason.

fancy, lion tamers.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I have always loved them. Grace Slick is one of the best singers ever and Surrealistic Pillow one of the best albums ever imo. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • listen to the volunteers album cos the guitars (jorma kaukonen) plays his best on that record! if u r grungfe fans u might not like his style but i think it rocks!!!
    title track is fucking awsome!!!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Yeah, it was sad to watch them morph into that shitty band simply called Starship......sad, sad, sad.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    We Built This City.....

....I'll get my coat.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Joe wrote:
    Been going through a bit of a 60's music binge lately, lots of different stuff. JA have some great tunes though, White Rabbit, Volunteers, Triad, Somebody to Love...good vibe about their music. Anyone else here like em?

I've always loved them. Grace Slick was one of the first female lead singers with attitude. They put out some great music through the 60's and had their own original style. Volunteers of America is a classic - an all time great IMHO.

The first iteration of Starship put out a couple of fair albums (ie. Dragonfly and Red Octopus) but after Marty Balin left it was kinda downhill from there.

They were great musicians too. Man, you brought back some memories!!!!
    Thanks!!!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I have their greatest hits some quality material on it. Embryonic Journey one the best instrumentalist ever.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I always kinda liked them. Grace had such a sexy voice.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Nearly two months before The Beatles' rooftop session, JA beat them to it, in NYC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mCf8Xq0OOk
  • You gotta love Jeffersons airplane.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • i like them too

Grace rocks
    saw things so much clearer
    once you, once you...
    rearviewmirror...
  • CortoCorto Posts: 36
    I really love JA... They're really great. Jorma Kaukonen is one of my favorite guitarist, Jack Casady is a real powerfull bass player and the voice of the wonderfull Grace Slick is amazing!
    Volunteers is my fav' album... The guitars on "Hey Fredrick" are insane!
    "all you need to play guitar is five strings, three notes, two fingers, and one asshole!" Keith Richards
  • Yep, i like them a lot, Embroyonic Journey is awesome. Check out Hot Tuna if you like them.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • "count on me" is one of the few cheesy love songs that i just love hearing
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • yeah hot tuna are great
    i have a great live album of theres called ''double dose'' which is rare as they dont make it anymore!!!!!!!
    it rocks but jorma sounds way different but still great!!!!!!!!!!!
  • We Built This City.....

....I'll get my coat.
    haahahaha yeah.. that really is sad what happened to them.

Jefferson Airplane was amazing though!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    One of my happiest childhood memories was being at my sixth birthday party and hearing Somebody To Love on the radio. I will always associate that song with that day and how wonderful it was.

Fast forward about thirty years...my son is the high school band and one of the songs they were playing was White Rabbit. I mentioned to him that I had an album that had the original song on it. After he heard it, he told me that wasn't exactly how his band played it.
    Don't threaten me with a good time.