Judas Priest - Nostradamus

MagnusonPark82MagnusonPark82 Posts: 180
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Just released today in the US - this album is pretty frickin' incredible. Its a 2 disc concept album clocking in at about 100 minutes. The entire album chronicles the life of Nostradamus. It has a ton of symphonics and Rob Halford's voice is in top form. KK Downing and Glen Tipton have some of their most incredible guitar work. It's not what you would typically expect from JP, so if you buy it thinking it's going to be like Angel of Retribution, you will be surprised. This album need to be listened to all the way through several times before the sheer scope and beauty is appreciated. Very epic and grandiose.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I'm on the fence about this one, but I do admire them for trying something so over the top.

Is there anything on it that resembles Painkiller or Metal Meltdown? Something that will shred the very flesh from my bones and set me on fire?
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I have made it through the first disc almost all the way through. It is a lot different than what I was expecting. Has a wide open sound that is unlike their previous song structures. Jury is out for me right now -- it's gonna take time if I end up liking it at all. We shall see...keeping an open mind.

Down in Cincinnati for work today...will listen more tomorrow -- all the way through and uninterrupted...six hour drive back home. Yay for music time, bad for my bank account/gas tank.

Saw the ltd. vinyl deluxe set at Best Buy for $79??!! I was tempted.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I will be picking this up today. I do wish it wasn't a double as I can maybe count on one hand the number of very good double CD's however I can't fault the effort.

Priest was my childhood band and they will continue to get my full support.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    DocChicago wrote:
    Is there anything on it that resembles Painkiller or Metal Meltdown? Something that will shred the very flesh from my bones and set me on fire?
    I am not hearing it (I just got thru the first disc). It is more operatic, moody, dark. But the guitar playing is very good and Halford sounds like he never missed a beat.

I admire this direction. this definitely sounds different than anything they have done.

*edit* Ok, the closest you are going to get to Painkiller is Persecution and there is a shrill on the title track (around the 1:10 mark) that will do it for ya.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Yeah, I am liking this more and more. Big step up from AoR. And yes, great guitar solos all over the place.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!