Light Grenades

circles downcircles down Posts: 182
edited February 2008 in Other Music
As with their previous album, A Crow Left of the Murder, upon my first few listens I was not impressed with an more than a few tracks. The others I found overly poppy and some of the lyrics were uncomfortable and hard to accept. But now, as with Crow, I absolutely LOVE this album. It rocks hard from head to toe. Even the poppy ones, while still poppy, contain a hard edge and very effective momentum builds. I'm talking about Love Hurts, Diamonds and Coal, Oil and Water, and Dig. I couldn't get into these but now I love each of them. It was easy to accept Kiss to Send Us Off and Ana Molly from the first listen (just like Megalomaniac), but some of the others, like Light Grenades and Rogues were hard to swallow. I praise this band for doing what at first feels unnatural and uncomfortable and sticking to it and letting it evolve and having the guts to put it on their record. They could easily keep making Morning View over and over again (great album) but they have chosen to go in other places. I love feeling their PJam influence while not letting it come close to dominating any of their songs. They are amazing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Incubus are one of my favourite bands.. but I still can't help finding this album mostly boring. I love all the others.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • have to agree with the OP, although it didnt take me that long to get into this one. I admit I was a little worried after A Crow Left of the Murder, it did grow on me, but not to the extent that I wish it would have. however, upon first listen to light grenades i was extremely pleased. Overall a great album
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Yes, Incubus is by far my favorite band ever... they're so amazing, live, on album, etc... and their continuation of making each album feel different from the last just grabs my attention even more... have you got the Look Alive DVD? Because if you get the right one, you get a bonus disc that has 11 songs that are all instrumental ditties and just absolutely phenomenal. I recommend buying the DVD, not just because you get a DVD with it, but because they have a bonus disc that has all those songs on it..

Also, it's been a year and 3 months since Light Grenades came out... and A Crow Left of the Murder is 4 years old today... insane. Band just keeps making me amazed.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Incubus are one of my favourite bands.. but I still can't help finding this album mostly boring. I love all the others.

I thought it was boring at first too, just shelve it for a bit and come back to it, give it time.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i liked them better in their teens on a head full of mushrooms

R.I.P. S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I thought it was boring at first too, just shelve it for a bit and come back to it, give it time.

You know, I love Incubus, and I love A Crow Left of the Murder. I gave Light Grenades time. It grew on me slightly. But on the whole, not a great effort. Very mediocre album.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    You know, I love Incubus, and I love A Crow Left of the Murder. I gave Light Grenades time. It grew on me slightly. But on the whole, not a great effort. Very mediocre album.
    x2,4me
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • x2,4me

x3.. I have given Light Grenades a few chances now.

That said, I didn't like Binaural for at least two years. See there's hope for LG yet.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• As with their previous album, A Crow Left of the Murder, upon my first few listens I was not impressed with an more than a few tracks. The others I found overly poppy and some of the lyrics were uncomfortable and hard to accept. But now, as with Crow, I absolutely LOVE this album. It rocks hard from head to toe. Even the poppy ones, while still poppy, contain a hard edge and very effective momentum builds. I'm talking about Love Hurts, Diamonds and Coal, Oil and Water, and Dig. I couldn't get into these but now I love each of them. It was easy to accept Kiss to Send Us Off and Ana Molly from the first listen (just like Megalomaniac), but some of the others, like Light Grenades and Rogues were hard to swallow. I praise this band for doing what at first feels unnatural and uncomfortable and sticking to it and letting it evolve and having the guts to put it on their record. They could easily keep making Morning View over and over again (great album) but they have chosen to go in other places. I love feeling their PJam influence while not letting it come close to dominating any of their songs. They are amazing.
    You're right, two great albums that take a little listening and familiarity to be fully appreciated.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
    While I don't agree with you I can say I found LG to be somewhat more varied in sound when I added the two Japanese bonus tracks at the end. They're called Punchdrunk and Look Alive in case you don't know and they're solid b-sides. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Grenades#Japanese_bonus_tracks
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    Incubus has made it's way into my top 5 bands rotation this year. Look Alive DVD is amazing, one of the best shot ive ever seen, compare it on par with touring band, not quite the svt though :)

I got Light Gerenades when it came out, was like eh another decent album, but ive been spinning it a lot recently and realized just how good it is, its a great record.

Incubus has become one of the bands that I will actually follow around a bit if they tour around here, saw em once in 03 for lolla, that's it though.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• While I don't agree with you I can say I found LG to be somewhat more varied in sound when I added the two Japanese bonus tracks at the end. They're called Punchdrunk and Look Alive in case you don't know and they're solid b-sides. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Grenades#Japanese_bonus_tracks

Bonus tracks, however good they are, are not part of an album.. sorry. They're irrelevant. That said, I've heard these and I find them pretty similar to everything else on there.

• can someone post a link to these bonus tracks?