Options

Incubus

circles downcircles down Posts: 182
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I just have to say that Incubus is amazing. I got into them late, before the last album, and got to know them backwards. I was amazed to see how different they were in the beginning, but still writing great complex rock. SCIENCE is such a good record, so so heavy, such catchy metal. They have so many great riffs and rhythms. It shows that you have to come to the table with more than just a good riff to repeat for 4 minutes. Between their great riffs are creative and intricate pieces that involve all members of the band. The guitarist does so many cool things without being self indulgent. I can tell they are PJ influenced, not only have they mentioned it before, but, as I'm sure it is well documented on this board, there are parts of A Crow Left of the Murder that sounds very similar to some PJ songs. They seem to be influenced by the way they carry themselves as well. But back to the music, Crow is such a brave departure from their style and it is soo good. It took a while for it to sink in for me, now I think it's their best album, if not always my favorite. Morning View is amazing, I've been working out to it lately, aside from the singles, which are great, great heavy radio songs, there are a few really really great rockers on there. Circles is an awesome jam, as is the 2nd to last track, don't recall the name, "if this is sight I'd rather be blind." Anyway, I love Incubus, just thought I'd share.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    I've been meaning to get into Incubus for quite a while now, but never got around to actually buying the albums. I did get A Crow Left Of The Murder from the library a while ago and I've really enjoyed it. Megalomaniac is pretty sweet and is a great way to kick off the album. I'm guessing that the next one I want to get is SCIENCE and go from there.
    Her?
  • Options
    Yea they used to be one of my favorite bands a couple of years ago but i havent listened to them in a while. My friend is in love with them he saw them in charlotte last year
    "I write a letter to a friend of mine
    I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
    See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
    Haven't seen him smile in a little while
    But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
    Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
    R.I.P. JEN
  • Options
    WESWES Posts: 168
    incubus = tolerable background noise

at best mediocre.
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    SCIENCE is such a good record, so so heavy, such catchy metal.
    LMAO

It was a good album, but it is not metal.
  • Options
    WES wrote:

at best mediocre.
    i disagree.

actually the more i listen to them the more i like them..

they come across as very poppy because for some reason the fuse crowd attatched themselves to them..

anyway, i think they're great but wouldn't call them amazing.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I didnt like CLOTM, but i like pretty much every other one.

Most people only know them from Make Yourself onwards since 'Drive' was what took them mainstream, but their best is S.C.I.E.N.C.E.... the old DJ was awesome compared to the guy they have now.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    incubus=easily the most overlooked band in critical terms.

they ARE amazing.
    great guitarist too..
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    shahril wrote:
    great guitarist too..

That definately gets overlooked, he has some awesome riffs and know about a billion complicated chords, lol.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    chris01 wrote:
    That definately gets overlooked, he has some awesome riffs and know about a billion complicated chords, lol.

yeah....try playing any incubus song, chances are ull find urself scratching ur head
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    WES wrote:

at best mediocre.

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. Their music is diverse and inspired, especially when performed live, but ... where the hell are they???!!!
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    incubus=easily the most overlooked band in critical terms.

they ARE amazing.
    great guitarist too..
    wrong, it's blind melon.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    chris01 wrote:
    Most people only know them from Make Yourself onwards since 'Drive' was what took them mainstream, but their best is S.C.I.E.N.C.E.... the old DJ was awesome compared to the guy they have now.

Bingo

(bingo)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I love Incubus, they get better with each album and are apparently reported to be working on a new album at the moment :D:D
    One day the world will be ready for you
    and wonder how they didn't see it...E
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Okay, to answer my own question (where the hell are Incubus?) ... I just got this e-mail from the Make Yourself Foundation. I'm just happy that they didn't drop off the face of the Earth and they're still doing good things.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Incubus have been working hard on their new record in Los Angeles, and now it's time for them to take a short break so they can help out a good cause - Amnesty International. Incubus and The Make Yourself Foundation are in a unique position to help raise awareness for human rights.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
    Amnesty International's 'Music For Human Rights' is your place at Amnesty International and on the web to learn about the issues and to take action to protect your rights and the rights of others. Find out what Incubus and other musicians are doing to spread the word and then join them in the fight for human rights.

MAKE SOME NOISE FOR DARFUR!
    Here's where you come in. Amnesty International has organized a rock concert called "Make Some Noise." This benefit concert will take place on April 29 at Roseland in Portland, Oregon. Members of Incubus (Brandon, Mike and Ben) will be performing a RARE ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE. For more details on the benefit concert or to buy tickets go to Amnesty USA's Music For Human Rights. > http://www.amnestyusa.org/musicforhumanrights/

The evening will be hosted by Mira Sorvino, the Ambassador for Amnesty's Worldwide 'Stop Violence Against Women' campaign. A brief message from Mira Sorvino regarding the 'Make Some Noise' concert (taken from a larger email concerning the below actrocities):

A year and a half ago, I traveled to Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. to speak out against the atrocities committed against black African villagers in Darfur, Sudan by local Arab militias, the Janjawid, armed by the Sudanese government in Khartoum. I met with several members of Congress, all committed to getting our government to pressure Khartoum to stop the terrible ethnic cleansing, which had already claimed 100,000 civilian lives. Their brutal techniques include slaughtering children in front of their mothers and systematically raping women for days in "rape huts" when the women leave their displaced persons camps looking for water and firewood. U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan had called the Janjawid's government-backed campaign a "scorched earth policy," verified by aerial photos of decimated villages."

I am very thrilled to announce that Amnesty has agreed to fulfill my dream of a concert to benefit the Darfur victims and raise awareness about the issue. It will be held in conjunction with their annual conference in Portland, Oregon on the weekend of April 29th. It is being called "Make Some Noise for Darfur," as part of Amnesty's much vaunted musical activism program.

- Mira Sorvino

MYF DONATIONS
    As always, please continue checking the MYF website for autographed Incubus items you can bid on benefiting Make Yourself Foundation.
    http://makeyourselffoundation.org/

NEW MYF AUCTION ITEM!
    Bid on a vintage Incubus 2003 black tee shirt autographed by the band! --http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7609679959

You can also donate to MYF by purchasing an MYF tee-shirt.
    100% of the proceeds go toward MYF.
    http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/fanfire.woa/wa/artist?artistName=Incubus&categoryName=Make+Yourself+Foundation&sourceCode=INCMYF

GET MORE ON INCUBUS:
    EnjoyIncubus.com
    MakeYourselfFoundation.org
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~