Jerry Canfuckingtrell

circles downcircles down Posts: 182
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I'm at work listening to Sunshine. I just have to say that this is one of the best guitar solos ever. Jerry knows the proper use of sustain. It actually sounds like it's not the most difficult thing to play, like I may be able to figure it out myself, but his sound is amazing on this. You don't realize until he starts playing how slow this song actually is, classic Alice. His tone is beautiful and he always has great hooks and melodies, and this solo perfectly captures the kind of guitarist he is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Yeah he is the fucking man
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • personally, my favorite guitarist. an amazing singer/lyricist as well.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i've got so much love for jerry.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I think everyone should love Jerry, JMHO
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • We are going to Niagra Falls to check them out in Nov...can't wait!
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    I'm at work listening to Sunshine. I just have to say that this is one of the best guitar solos ever. Jerry knows the proper use of sustain. It actually sounds like it's not the most difficult thing to play, like I may be able to figure it out myself, but his sound is amazing on this. You don't realize until he starts playing how slow this song actually is, classic Alice. His tone is beautiful and he always has great hooks and melodies, and this solo perfectly captures the kind of guitarist he is.

You spelled his name wrong. It's Cantrell.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • I'm not a musician or anything, but I always thought he was an awesome guitar player. I don't think I've ever seen his name on any 'greatest guitar players' lists. So many of the songs on Facelift were written by him (lyrics, too) and they totally rock!
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Cantrell is AMAZING. He totally pwn3d on Facelift, but Jar of Flies has some great work too.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • intodeep wrote:
    Yeah he is the fucking man

along with mike!!

GREAT musician!! incredible guitar player!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 238
    Sunshine is a great song, one of the more overlooked AiC tunes. I agree, the solo just fits perfectly. As much as I love how a guy like Mike McCready just improvises and wails away on his solos, Cantrell has some of the most well-constructed guitar solos. His solo albums are excellent as well, but there really are songs/albums where AiC just put it all together perfectly and sounded as good as any band out there.
  • Just curious...are his solo albums any good? I keep seeing them in the 'used' bins at record stores. Never did check em out.
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 238
    I really like his solo albums, but I'm a pretty hardcore AiC/Jerry fan. "Boggy Depot" is different than AiC, not quite as heavy. But there are plenty of good songs, excellent guitar work as always. Its not "experimental," but he tries new things, and I happen to love this CD.

"Degradation Trip" is one of the most underrated albums of this era in my opinion. Its much darker and heavier than his 1st solo album, much closer to his work with AiC. I recommend the complete two-disc CD, but the original release (only 14 songs) is also good. I think he grew as a vocalist, with tons of harmonies, and typically strong Cantrell lyrics. Honestly, I think that if AiC did the songs on D-Trip it would be considered a classic. While Jerry is no Layne as a singer, it really is an outstanding album that any AiC fan, or just any hard rock fan, should pick up. Its a shame more people haven't heard it, it never got the recognition or the support from a record label it should have.
  • Rambis35 wrote:
    "Degradation Trip" is one of the most underrated albums of this era in my opinion. Its much darker and heavier than his 1st solo album, much closer to his work with AiC. I recommend the complete two-disc CD, but the original release (only 14 songs) is also good. I think he grew as a vocalist, with tons of harmonies, and typically strong Cantrell lyrics. Honestly, I think that if AiC did the songs on D-Trip it would be considered a classic. While Jerry is no Layne as a singer, it really is an outstanding album that any AiC fan, or just any hard rock fan, should pick up. Its a shame more people haven't heard it, it never got the recognition or the support from a record label it should have.

I agree - it took a few listens for me to really love it, but now that I do, it is one of my favorite albums. Even with 25 songs on the discs, he retained the ability that they had as a band to keep everything fresh, and never fall into one sound. Same Alice in Chains style, but it is definately different and evolved from what they did as a band.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Just curious...are his solo albums any good? I keep seeing them in the 'used' bins at record stores. Never did check em out.

I would strongly recommend you check them both out. He's working on a third solo album but I'm guessing that is on hold with new AIC dates being announced all the time.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    easily one the most underrated Alice songs and jerry fucking KILLS on it. The solo, the riffs, the harmony backing vocals (the best bit in my opinion)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Rambis35 wrote:
    "Degradation Trip" is one of the most underrated albums of this era in my opinion.
    First time I heard Spiderbite off of Degradation Trip, I almost blew my speakers out.
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    First time I heard Spiderbite off of Degradation Trip, I almost blew my speakers out.

Angel Eyes is another treat!!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Rambis35 wrote:
    I really like his solo albums, but I'm a pretty hardcore AiC/Jerry fan. "Boggy Depot" is different than AiC, not quite as heavy. But there are plenty of good songs, excellent guitar work as always. Its not "experimental," but he tries new things, and I happen to love this CD.

I think that Deg Trip would have pretty much been the nex Alice album. It sounds so AIC, it is amazing. The absolute best track is Psychotic Break. It even sounds like Layne is one there. It's a hauntingly eerie song, he references dead friends, and was recorded before Layne passed. I saw him play a lot of his solo stuff when he passed through Dallas when he was dealing with record lable drama. Amazing shows. Was introduced to Comes With the Fall, with William DuVall on vocals.
  • i'll throw in for jerry cantrell. he is one of my absolute fav guitarist and songwriters too for that matter. heck this guy can even sing. is musical influence is definately one of the biggest of our times, hope he gets the credit he deserves. one gripe though, where is the new cantrell album? its been several years now.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I was lucky to see Jerry at the Middle East in Boston and Lupo's in Providence... both very small venues... and witnessing Jerry Cantrell crank out AIC riffage 10 feet in front of you is not something you ever forget.

I was impressed with William DuVall, but you know, he's just filling Layne's shoes.

As Sean Kinney put it: "If we found some other dude, I'd love to move on, write some cool tunes and change the name and go on like that. I don't see continuing as Alice and replacing somebody. ... We're not trying to replace Layne. We want to play these songs one more time, and if it seems like the right thing to do, it'll happen. I don't know how long it will go or where it will take us. It's kind of a tribute to Layne and our fans, the people who love these songs."