Another Ryan Adams Meltdown

allornoneallornone Posts: 269
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Ryan Adams throws tantrum at Minneapolis show

The singer reignites his bad-boy reputation
28.Sep.07 7:01pm
Ryan Adams reportedly threw a tantrum during his sold-out show in Minneapolis last night (September 27).

The temperamental rocker was apparently frustrated with the sound at the State Theatre, and continuously complained about it throughout the night, moving his sound monitors, microphone and guitar peals.

After announcing his last song and not returning for an encore, several fans stood up and booed.

"I don't know what the story was," guitarist Neal Casal told the Minneapolis Star Tribune after the show. "I just play guitar."

Pedal steel guitarist Jon Graboff added, "What can I say? I'm not the monitor guy. Ryan's the boss."

Adams had another meltdown in the city during his notorious First Avenue performance in 2003, when he criticised the sound system and local hero Paul Westerberg.

This sucks, I have tickets to see him on Friday in St. Louis. I was hoping he was past all this meltdown on stage stuff, but appartently not.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    didn't the boy do a sound check?

i saw him last month and he spat his dummy but that was only cause the audience was rude. we got no encore and i didn't expect one.

i would never hesitate to ever see him live though.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • funny, he encored in WV...must be the people populating the audience...if someone complains and it does not get results then why keep playing? that's not a tantrum...that's just trying to get something done and not putting up with it when nothing is done.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • I wish I could get tickets to the St. Louis show. I've never seen Ryan Adams.
  • I wish I could get tickets to the St. Louis show. I've never seen Ryan Adams.

he is good...if you can, scalp tickets...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • I just saw him in Toronto on the 21st and he was awesome. I'm sure the show will be fine.
    Cock Fight.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    He is quite moody and he likes a good whinge, i've found him hit and miss live, but this tour around was probably one of the best concerts i've ever been to so hopefully it goes well for your show.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yeah, I read an article in Rolling Stone a couple months ago about him. Apparently he has some serious self-esteem issues, so if the crowd is jeering him he's probably gonna get out of there as quick as he can.

He's awesome though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'm sure Pitchfork won't have anything snarky to say about this incident........
  • hbrownehbrowne Posts: 57
    This "news" bit really ground my gears because it was such overstatement, picked up by media across the world as an example of the preconceived bad-boy notion they have of Ryan Adams and want to perpetuate. Not to defend grouchy behavior, but from the actual facts of this show, it was soooo far from a "meltdown." I mean, yeah, he got cranky about the consistently bad sound (and I hear he *did* do a soundcheck) and played a shortened set, but I think that's more because he really wants his music to be heard the right way and not all messed up, sound-wise. I personally would have been nicer, but I wouldn't call it a meltdown, myself.

He's awesome in concert the last few times I've seen him (since the soberness). Saw him once pre-sober and it was good but disjointed.

Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Well, the show was OK. The first set was good, but then they left for an intermission, and before the intermission, Ryan said "we will be back to play more songs because we really like it here". Great, I thought. They returned to play only 5 songs in the second set, and no encore. I have no clue why. We got 15 songs total, which seems quite short compared to some of the other sets I've seen posted.

This was the setlist:

Set One: Peaceful Valley, Beautiful Sorta, The Rescue Blues, Goodnight Rose, Cold Roses, Dear John, Battering Lines, Games, Two, Everybody Knows

Set Two: What Sin Replaces Love, Please Do Not Let Me Go, Off Broadway, Wild Flowers, I See Monsters

... then the band just left.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you got i see monsters that would have made my night. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say