Fionna Apple

allornoneallornone Posts: 269
edited November 2005 in Other Music
I never liked her much, but her new album, Extraordinary Machine, is quite impressive. I picked it up the other day after hearing some clips from it and reading all the great reviews it got. You can really tell how much she has matured since her debut CD. It hasn't left my CD player since I bought it.

After listening to it, it is crazy to think the her label shelved it for two years and almost didn't release it. Although it's been altered from what it was at first, it just goes to show that the people in the record business only care about money and not about the quality of music.

Anyway, I highly recommend this CD. One my favs of 2005, which says a lot considering all the CDs that came out this year.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I agree...Extraordinary Machine is a good album. I really loved Tidal though and When the Pawn, so Ive always been a fan.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Fiona Apple = GOOD!
  • Fiona Apple = GOOD!

I am a dedicated fiona Apple fan... Her new album really is awesome. I will always have a greater fondness for Tidal, but thats what happens with albums that introduce you to an artist.

Too bad she is touring with Coldplay (bleh....) I would be happy enough to have a show with her and Richard Ashcroft alone...
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• I am a dedicated fiona Apple fan... Her new album really is awesome. I will always have a greater fondness for Tidal, but thats what happens with albums that introduce you to an artist.

Too bad she is touring with Coldplay (bleh....) I would be happy enough to have a show with her and Richard Ashcroft alone...

Fiona Apple= GOOD
    Cockplay= BAD

Pearl Jam should bring her on tour, i love Fiona
  • As weird as it sounds, I like her eyes more than her music
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Fiona Apple= GOOD
    Cockplay= BAD

Agree completely with all points of your post...

Now, concerning the starter of the thread, the record being shelved was not so much because of the company but because Fiona herself didn't feel satisfied with what was produced by the time.
    Particularly I don't see anything wrong with that first version of the album, in fact I love it with all the strings arrengements it had.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    I think Fiona Apple is great...I"m going to see her in concert next week!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • I like her alot and am glad to see her back around, although....I don't care for the video for O'Sailor.....they should have done something "new" or "different" for her. It is the same look and feel she had years ago in that other video...
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
    Fiona Apple= GOOD
    Cockplay= BAD

Ive always thought Coldplay was overrated.....
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    I'm in the minority for sure, but I love Coldplay. They are fischer price Radiohead in my opinion, but X+Y is really good.

Fionna Apple's new album is the best of the year though (not counting PJ bootlegs :D )
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Fiona is great, I haven't listened to her new album all the way through yet but what I've heard I've enjoyed.

She also seems to be doing better mentally and physically. She's off her meds and she doesn't look as bony as she did in the "Criminal" video. Good for her.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    smithnic wrote:
    I'm in the minority for sure, but I love Coldplay. They are fischer price Radiohead in my opinion, but X+Y is really good.

Fionna Apple's new album is the best of the year though (not counting PJ bootlegs :D )

lol...fischer price radiohead? I like that. Im not much of a radiohead fan either.
  • PorchPorch Posts: 539
    I put shadowboxer on my ipod and i listen to it ALOT!
    sometimes you're the boxer...sometimes you're the bag...
  • i would like to lick fionnas apple
  • I am a dedicated fiona Apple fan... Her new album really is awesome. I will always have a greater fondness for Tidal, but thats what happens with albums that introduce you to an artist.

Fiona Apple= GOOD
    Cockplay= BAD

Accidentally hit the "LAST" tab and was going through some old threads.

This guy has an interesting username, joined March of 2005....

Anyone recall when the single premiered? I swear it was early 2006. 

Comatose FKA Crapshoot Rapture was first time anything from the new album was released and that was during a 3-18-05 show.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I am a dedicated fiona Apple fan... Her new album really is awesome. I will always have a greater fondness for Tidal, but thats what happens with albums that introduce you to an artist.

Fiona Apple= GOOD
    Cockplay= BAD

Accidentally hit the "LAST" tab and was going through some old threads.

This guy has an interesting username, joined March of 2005....

Anyone recall when the single premiered? I swear it was early 2006. 

Comatose FKA Crapshoot Rapture was first time anything from the new album was released and that was during a 3-18-05 show.
    According to Wikipedia yeah it was released in March of ‘06.
    maybe they changed their name after?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Ive been a member since 2003 and don't recall name changing ever being allowed.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    edited December 2020
    Ive been a member since 2003 and don't recall name changing ever being allowed.

i know a few people here you have changed their name.. "Juggler" "Wobbie" "GlowGirl" You do have to submit it to admins.
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

i know a few people here you have changed their name.. "Juggler" "Wobbie" "GlowGirl" You do have to submit it to admins.

who didglowgirl used to be?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mickeyrat said:

who didglowgirl used to be?
    It was the name assigned to me by 10c. It was MF(with some numbers after it). So I changed it earlier this year.