Options

*matisyahu*

CarneviLCarneviL Sounds Great Place Posts: 165
edited March 2006 in Other Music
What an album?
YOUTH

This is guy is good. Saw him last week...Very impressed. DOn't read the negative reviews. See for yo'self!

Shalom Y'all!
I see the sound, in waves!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    I actually havent read any negative reviews...but yeah...I dig it.

:)
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Options
    Yeah he is no joke his stuff is great. Very new and refreshing haha
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I heard his music. I think he's famous just because he looks like that.
  • Options
    offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    I have live at stubbs, but have been hesitant to pick up his studio album. How does it compare to the live stuff which I really dig?
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I havent seen any bad reviews. He has quite a gimmick goin. Shouldnt be too long before people are embarrassed to say they own his albums
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I havent seen any bad reviews. He has quite a gimmick goin. Shouldnt be too long before people are embarrassed to say they own his albums

Why do you think its a gimmick...he is a man who lives his life in an alternative way....he is just being himself...he is not trying to be someone he isn't.

Was Living Color a gimmick to you as well?
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Itsa gimmick. Not intentional, but it still is. Any time I hear anybody talk about him, 'Jewish rapper' are the two words most often heard.

Living Colour, Eminem, and Matisyahu all have a built in gimmick. They deserve and extra pat on the back just for puttin up with alot of the shit that they probably all went through while tryin to break through.

Whats so alternative about his lifestyle. There are tons of Jewish people.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Itsa gimmick. Not intentional, but it still is. Any time I hear anybody talk about him, 'Jewish rapper' are the two words most often heard.

Living Colour, Eminem, and Matisyahu all have a built in gimmick. They deserve and extra pat on the back just for puttin up with alot of the shit that they probably all went through while tryin to break through.

Whats so alternative about his lifestyle. There are tons of Jewish people.

I see what you are saying about the "gimmick" being unintentional, but it doesn't seem like he gave himself the Jeiwsh Rapper label.

To me, a gimmick is something that someone creates to succeed, but if others label someone as something, to me, that isn't a gimmick.

I admit that he has garnered attention based on his beliefs, but I think his music and message are what will keep him going.

Of course there are tons of Jews, but to the unaware masses, I am sure they consider him to be "different".
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I think he's great. If you like reggae, then i suggest you go out and pick up his new album.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    RiderRider Posts: 125
    The man is not a gimmick act. The press and DJ's may market him as the "jewish rapper/reggae" dude but that is the nature of marketing -simplify, identify, sell product.

I have seen him and without wanting to sound like a fan boy, I have to say the man is really, really good. Spiritual, uplifting, funky, talented, good jam band backing him, all around great show.

See him if you get the chance. I don't own any of his records but I doubt they do him justice.
    We all walk the Long Road...

Charlotte & Raleigh Lollapalooza 1992, Charlotte Memorial 1996, Tibet Freedom Concert 1998, Raleigh & Greenville 1998, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh & Camden 2003, Asheville 2004, Camden 2006, DC 2008, Atlanta 2012  Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013
     Greenville, (XRaleighX) and Hampton 2016, London Hyde Park, Quebec City and Ottawa 2022, St Paul (hopefully) 2023