The Stooges (the weirdness)

pearljamharmonypearljamharmony Posts: 120
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anyone heard this yet? Don't get me wrong I bought it to complete my Stooges collection and i bought the solid vinyl version with 4 bonus tracks, but.... I don't want to tell you my opnion on this one but it should be renamed "the shittiness". The Stooges rawk my socks and if they came anywhere near my little hole in the wall town I would see them in a second, but why put out another record after putting out possibly the most solid 3 records of all time. Think about it; "the stooges" "fun house" and "raw power" were basically the three albums that laid the groundwork for punk, but now 30 almost 40 something years years later they put out a record for the kiddies, common... It almost sounds like they are tredding water on this one (especially iggy), with the exception of some very few riffs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    well ive only heard it twice since i bought it.......found it quite
    metallic sounding......u can hardly hear the vocals and bass in it....
    was always gonna be impossible to improve on their 3 earlier records!

they playin here in ireland in september so im happy!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Everyone except rolling stone magazine hates this record it seems.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Blender and Mojo are rather fond of it, as well.

It's a....I want to say *raw* sounding album, but *raw* would be a compliment because that's what The Stooges do and are, but it's *raw* in a different, lesser way.

I really do like "I'm A Punk Rocker" with The Teddybears, but that's not on the album.

Still I wish that their upcoming show wasn't sold out before I'd even heard of it.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • are they coming stateside and I don't mean big city stateside. I really hate when bands play the states, but they only play big cities ala LA and NYC.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I've got it on my i-pod but haven't heard it yet. I can't imagine they would have been able to equal - let alone top - the first 3 albums. And Mettallic K.O isn't bad either - although messy as fuck. I bought a vinyl copy of it in New York in 1990.

Edit: Kill City is also a pretty cool album. It was released in 1974 if I'm not mistaken, and has some great tracks on it, but is really hard to come by these days. I lost my copy a long time ago.
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    i've only listened to it a couple of times and i think it's alright... but my expectations weren't high at all... how could anyone top their first three albums?

in 'ATM' iggy sings 'the stooges are fighting poverty in secret'... maybe the asheton brothers needed to fight their own poverty after 37 years... and who can blame them?
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    Replacing the deceased Curley on bass with Shemp was a poor move.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • this album has the worst lyrics ever1

england and france these cultures are old/ the cheese is stinky and the beer is cold

what the hell is that about!!
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    raw rower is classic. some great iggy stories in a book by danny sugerman
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Atomic Dog wrote:
    this album has the worst lyrics ever

heck yeah they do