Help me out guys.....Neil Young

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I need some of his records, I have the double Decade best of and also the Greatest Hits and feel ready to delve into his albums and want some IN DEPTH recommendations from you guys....

I'm loving Cortez The Killer and Hurricane at the minute but also the softer stuff like A Man Needs a Maid and Old Man.....

Also I heard Live At Massey Hall the other night in my local pub and it sounded incredible.....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My favorite is Rust Never Sleeps. He's all over the place on that one, not just one sound.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    tonight's the night and after the gold rush are my faves but i also love rust never sleeps. get those 3.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Start with:
    Harvest
    Zuma
    After the Gold Rush

Then head for the girttier stuff like:
    On the Beach (his best and my favorite in my opinion)
    tonights the night
    rust never sleeps

Then go for some of his later gems:
    Ragged Glory
    Sleeps with Angels
    Harvest Moon

Then go back and fill in ALL the gaps. Of course Live Rust and Weld are great live albums too. Plus his new live at the filmore and live at massey hall are awesome. And i can't help but think i should have recomended everybody knows this is nowhere.

There is so much to get of neil that is good it is hard to tell you where to start
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • You can't go wrong with ANY of Neil's albums.

I love the album "Time Fades Away", but Neil hates it and has never released it on CD. Luckily, there was a promo/test pressing CD made years ago that has been bootlegged. Look around and you should be able to find it - just make sure it's the test pressing and not a vinyl transfer.
  • mirrorball
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I can't pick a favorite.But I've been listening to Greendale alot again lately.
  • intodeep wrote:
    Start with:
    Harvest
    Zuma
    After the Gold Rush

Then head for the girttier stuff like:
    On the Beach (his best and my favorite in my opinion)
    tonights the night
    rust never sleeps

Then go for some of his later gems:
    Ragged Glory
    Sleeps with Angels
    Harvest Moon

Then go back and fill in ALL the gaps. Of course Live Rust and Weld are great live albums too. Plus his new live at the filmore and live at massey hall are awesome. And i can't help but think i should have recomended everybody knows this is nowhere.

There is so much to get of neil that is good it is hard to tell you where to start
    This is an excellent selection, and On The Beach is my favourite album too but I know some people that don't like it. However I would recommend as a close second Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. Would also recommend Freedom for an early listen.
    Now I'm livin' out here on the beach,
    but those seagulls are still out of reach.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Never enough love for Greendale

the movie
    the cd
    the acoustic dvd

an incredible package and i absolutely love how every word of the cd is the actual script to the movie. way beyond brilliant.
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    I need some of his records, I have the double Decade best of and also the Greatest Hits and feel ready to delve into his albums and want some IN DEPTH recommendations from you guys....

I'm loving Cortez The Killer and Hurricane at the minute but also the softer stuff like A Man Needs a Maid and Old Man.....

Also I heard Live At Massey Hall the other night in my local pub and it sounded incredible.....

Getting into the softer stuff I agree with some of the people here that After the Gold Rush of Harvest is the place to start.

If you like the more rocking songs get Everybody knows this is nowhere it has a couple or Rust Never Sleeps.

On the Beach is personal fav. and Chrome Dreams II is excellent for those who haven't picked it up yet...
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    My favorite is Rust Never Sleeps. He's all over the place on that one, not just one sound.
    i'll second that. The record has 'Thrasher' on it... nothing more needs to be said.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    My first two were Harvest and Unplugged, followed later by Everybody Knows, Tonight's the Night, and On the Beach. Then it gets a little blurry.

Harvest is the best place to start, then After the Goldrush. I would then recommend either Everybody Knows or Tonight's the Night.

But as somebody above said, you really can't go wrong with Neil (with only a few exceptions).
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • My dad had a cassette which was Harvest on side A and After The Gold Rush on side B and he played that in the car all the time when I was little. That and Live Rust made for a great introduction to the man's music. He turned me on to Neil, and I turned him on to PJ. I'm sure this is a pretty common occurrence.
    Eric