Question for the Americans on here...

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Just wondering if these great bands are getting any coverage over there...

Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Cheifs, The Kooks?

Also you've got a great band over there called We Are Scientists, they came to my uni and I met the bassist, what a guy :)
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I recognize Kaiser Chiefs, but have only seen the other names here on the board.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • i saw the arctic monkeys twice last month here in california, they seem to be coming out for SxSW in march so they will get even bigger here after that.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Sadly, America is a close-minded, corporate-feces driven society. The majority of people here do not value music or musicianship they way that people do in Europe. I think it's an indictment of our culture more than anything. We're still the kid in the world when you think about it. Most of Europe is centuries older than our society, and as a result have a more mature, open-minded culture. America is like the bratty kid who won't stop crying in Wal-Mart beacuse his mommy won't buy him a shitty video game.

I don't know if you've ever seen the Jerry Springer show, but that show more or less defines the mentality of this country when it comes to art.
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    i think kaiser chiefs played at live 8?
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • I like the Kaiser's album. But I've never heard anybody talk of them in america.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    The Kaiser Chiefs get played out here something fierce! So yes, much coverage for them going on over here.

I haven't heard any of the others with the exception of Arctic Monkeys. I happen to like them very much just from the one song I've heard (thanks to a fellow board member with excellent taste ;) ). :D I definitely wanna hear some more from them!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413

The three first groups on there get plenty of radio airplay at Mexico city rock stations, we just reviewed the Editors' cd on the magazine I work for... We Are Scientists are starting to sound as well, the only song I heard I think is fairly good.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • I own Employment by the Kaiser Chiefs

i heard a song from the Artic Monkeys

but the other two, never heard of
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Ive heard OF the Kaiser Chiefs but I havent actually heard them. That's it.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • You guys should all check out Editors, a great band.

Arctic Monkeys are ace, try and hunt down a song called "Fake tales of San Francisco".
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413

Arctic Monkeys are ace, try and hunt down a song called "Fake tales of San Francisco".

I like that one... the other, "I Bet You Look Good...", I think it's average at best... will have to check the album when it comes out.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • I like Kaiser Chiefs a lot. "Employment" is a fantastic album, but they don't get nearly as much publicity as other British bands such as Franz Ferdinand. The others I've not heard of.
  • You guys should all check out Editors, a great band.

that's a good one... i also like "bigger boys and stolen sweethearts", "a certain romance", "space invaders", "cigarette smoke", "riot van"... so many great songs...

by the way, for those who have heard most of their songs, does anybody else think that the intro for "a certain romance" sounds exactly like "the riverboat song" by ocean colour scene?
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • I like Dancing Shoes best, but the intro to A Certain Romance is great live. will be seeing them again in march in austin, tx.
  • icarus wrote:
    and the US is older than both italy and germany which formed in 1861 and 1871.

i agree with everything you said but you must be joking in the last part of your comment, right?

i don't want to start an argument here, no hard feelings at all... but this is so incredibly ignorant it made me laugh out loud :D
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    LOVE THE ARCTIC MONKEYS

Caught the two NYC shows in November and cant get enough....

Cant wait for the record to be released

Kaiser Chiefs...OVERRATED..they are ok...but they dont wind me up
    psycosmic wrote:
    that's a good one... i also like "bigger boys and stolen sweethearts", "a certain romance", "space invaders", "cigarette smoke", "riot van"... so many great songs...

by the way, for those who have heard most of their songs, does anybody else think that the intro for "a certain romance" sounds exactly like "the riverboat song" by ocean colour scene?

Best new band Ive heard in a long time

SCUMMY
    Curtains Closed
    Mardy bum
    Certain romance
    ibylgotdf

All great songs

http://www.mardy-bum.com/index.php?page=music

Check em out
  • icarus wrote:
    obviously i know the concepts of 'italy' and 'germany' as regions have existed for thousands of years since the ancient greeks and germanic peoples, but i was just being a dick by pointing out that they didnt exist as countries until 1861 and 1871 :)

you could even take it a step further and say that germany was formed after WWII or even after its reunification, if you want to be all technical... same goes for italy...
    but that's completely missing the point... we're talking about culture here, it doesn't have anything to do with the current incarnation of the state, it has to do with cultural identity... it's like saying that the italian renaissance and artists like goethe or bach don't belong to italy's and germany's cultural heritage as they all happened before the dates you mentioned...

if your argument had been that america can look back on a long history of native american culture it would've been fine... but i won't let you get away with this :D
    ~~~

• we are scientists will be popular here in another couple month, Im thinking. Saw their cocks being sucked in both Spin and Blender (free subscriptions...i know.) this month, so their check must have cashed.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Get_Right wrote:
    Best new band Ive heard in a long time

SCUMMY
    Curtains Closed
    Mardy bum
    Certain romance
    ibylgotdf

All great songs

http://www.mardy-bum.com/index.php?page=music

Check em out

Thanks for that link, I had all the demos but the live stuff here is superb! (I haven't been lucky enough to see them yet!)
  • damn, this guy just asks a question about music and aftera couple of replys it turns into another "american bashing thread".
    speaking as a child of the 90's
    Thanks for that link, I had all the demos but the live stuff here is superb! (I haven't been lucky enough to see them yet!)

no worries...see them if you can...
  • psycosmic wrote:

I said that exact same thing to someone the other day!!

.. sounds like The Riverboat song intro sticking in one spot :D

Yes, I think it's very similar!

Good new band though

:)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57

Also you've got a great band over there called We Are Scientists, they came to my uni and I met the bassist, what a guy :)

Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs are getting played fairly frequently here in Seattle...
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • tybird wrote:
    I recognize Kaiser Chiefs, but have only seen the other names here on the board.
    i've seen the others elsewhere.. but then again i do a lot of indie listening...

Kaiser Cheifs are pretty big.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I've listened to Kaiser Chiefs and they're not bad. I like We Are Scientists though. Anyone here ever listen to Kasabian? They're pretty good if you ask me...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah -- David Byrne never sang so fucking good when he was in his band, Talking Heads! Seriously, I love it...........................................almost as much as Jerry Spinger when some fat fuck guy w/ sausage tits wants to fight some other guy for f%*king his momma. Seriously, I almost spill my Slurpee on my shirt when that happens.

Clap Hands is a good new CD.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!