ryan adams - which is better?

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Ok my favourite albums of his are Love Is Hell and Demolition - out of Cold Roses and 29 which sounds like thme most?
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Cold Roses is amazing. I also recommend picking up Heartbreaker and Gold. Both of those discs are absolutely stellar. Jacksonville City Nights is pretty good too. 29 isn't his best moment in my opinion. I find it kind of weak.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Yep, Cold Roses is superb, contains some of his very best stuff. To me all his records have a different vibe, so it's hard to say if something sounds similar or not.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I own Cold Roses, Rock N Roll, Gold, and Demolition....Cold Roses is my favourite. Heartbreaker is on my "Must Buy" list - i've heard lots of great things about it

Pneumonia by Whiskeytown is great too.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    I don't find Love is Hell and Demolition to be extremely similar.

Heartbreaker is my favorite album of his followed by Gold. I actually like all of his stuff and did like 29 as well. I think Rock and Roll is probably his weakest in my mind.
  • everything the man touches is genius. get it all.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I have to admit that I don't own Demolition (there are so many other complete albums out there, it's hard to justify buying an odds and ends album) but . . .

I guess I'd say 29 is closer to Love is Hell. HOWEVER, 29 is undoubtedly my least favorite of Ryan's albums. It's got some georgeous songs (Nightbirds, Blue Sky Blues), but it also contains some disappointing songs (29, The Sadness). Cold Roses, on the other hand, is probably my favorite. I owned a few of Ryan's albums (Gold, Heartbreaker and Love is Hell Part 2, Rock N Roll) prior to buying Cold Roses, but I wasn't a huge fan. That album changed my mind big time. I spent the entire of summer and most of the fall of 2005 listening to Ryan and little else.

If you're not a big fan of Ryan's alt.country tendencies you might go with 29, but otherwise I'd recommend Cold Roses.
  • Gold is my favorite. Followed by Cold Roses and JCN.
    Cock Fight.
  • I have to admit that I don't own Demolition (there are so many other complete albums out there, it's hard to justify buying an odds and ends album) but . . .
    You should totally add Demolition to your collection - it's so much more than odds and ends! It's one of my favorites. Nuclear, You Will Always Be the Same, Dear Chicago...

Was just checking iTunes and I found this little EP with some UK b-sides - Moroccan Role? Don't know how I missed it before.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    everything the man touches is genius. get it all.

yep.

I love all the Ryan records. Love is Hell and Cold Roses are my favorites, though.

Demolition is really good also. It's an overlooked masterpiece, imo. Some of my favorite Ryan songs are on there:

Starting to Hurt
    You Will Always be the Same
    Desire
    Cry on Demand
    Nuclear
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    You should totally add Demolition to your collection - it's so much more than odds and ends! It's one of my favorites. Nuclear, You Will Always Be the Same, Dear Chicago...

Was just checking iTunes and I found this little EP with some UK b-sides - Moroccan Role? Don't know how I missed it before.

It's been on my wishlist for quite a while. I'll get there someday. I think I've actually heard most of the songs in the form of the unreleased albums and live performances. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Dear Chicago and Desire are favorites.:)

The Moroccan Role EP is fun too, though nothing extraordinary. I'm Coming Over is pretty, and Ah, Life is a lot of fun.

While I'm here I have to mention Whiskeytown's Stranger's Almanac as well for anyone who may not have checked out Ryan's old band. Beautiful little album.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    soclose wrote:
    I have to admit that I don't own Demolition (there are so many other complete albums out there, it's hard to justify buying an odds and ends album) but . . .

demolition makes more sense to me now. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say