Can't wait for new REM album!!!!!!

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited January 2008 in Other Music
the new songs from the dublin rehearsals sound awesome esp Until The Day Is Done.....

They sound like a band again....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    april 1st-Accelerate comes out

cant wait
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    me too, hope it sounds more organic
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • does anyone have a link to these rehearsals?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • something to look forward to :) I think it'll be a corker
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Its going to be great i reckon, back to sounding like REM.....

I know some people like Reveal and Around The Sun, but they're nothing more than mediocre compared to albums like Document, Automatic, New Adventures and Up.....

Hopefully yes much more organic and less keyboards.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • If REM actualy go back to sounding like the band i fell in love with in the EIGHTIES, i will cry tears of joy.

Michael was my childhood idol, and everything up until Up was sheer brilliance.

Either th loss of Bill Berry or (deep sigh) old age really took the piss out of my beloved little band from Athens these last few albums.

I pray they dig DEEP for inspiration ... i'm thinking Fables of the Reconstruction and Lifes Rich Pageant.

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I pray they dig DEEP for inspiration ... i'm thinking Fables of the Reconstruction and Lifes Rich Pageant.

don't forget Murmur :D
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I'm curious to see what this will be like :)
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Where did you hear these rehearsals?!

I'm on an REM high at the moment. Been listening to Document, Out Of Time and New Adventures. A lot.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    audiodave wrote:
    Where did you hear these rehearsals?!

I'm on an REM high at the moment. Been listening to Document, Out Of Time and New Adventures. A lot.

I just went on youtube and looked at stuff fans filmed in Dublin, just type REM dublin and they should come up, some are better quality than others.....
    I just went on youtube and looked at stuff fans filmed in Dublin, just type REM dublin and they should come up, some are better quality than others.....
    Cheers i'll try it later. How about REM at the engine shed?! :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

audiodave wrote:
    Cheers i'll try it later. How about REM at the engine shed?! :D

lol on the same night as Pearl Jam, would be a damn good night :D
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    Main act for SXSW Mar 12-16th. I'm not sure the night/location they are playing. The details aren't out yet. I just know that Lou Reed is Keynote, REM is the main course, and that I would effin love an ed solo show in one of those clubs on 6th street.
    Austin-the live music capitol of the world.

ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I'll always give REM a chance cos I love their early stuff so much - Murmur is one of my all-time favourites.

Does anyone out there have any love for Monster? So underrated IMO. I enjoyed Reveal too, didnt care much for the last one though. Hoping for good things from the new one!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    edved82 wrote:
    I'll always give REM a chance cos I love their early stuff so much - Murmur is one of my all-time favourites.

Does anyone out there have any love for Monster? So underrated IMO. I enjoyed Reveal too, didnt care much for the last one though. Hoping for good things from the new one!

Monster is amazing the guitar sound is so hige and everything about it rocks my world, I used to think new adventures was my fav but the more I listen to Monster the more I fucking adore that record
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    Monster is amazing the guitar sound is so hige and everything about it rocks my world, I used to think new adventures was my fav but the more I listen to Monster the more I fucking adore that record

Good to hear positive feedback about "Monster." It was R.E.M.'s big, flashy rock record and holds its place amongst their other releases.

Pearl Jam + R.E.M. + Pixies = my holy trinity of rock.

Highly anticipating R.E.M.'s return to form, even though I think Up/Reveal/Around The Sun make an interesting trilogy.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    IMHO R.E.M. used to be the band that could do only brilliant records until UP that was their first only good record.
    Reveal is my least fav record of theirs, the last one was good again, not that bad at all but I knop it's among their forgettable stuffs!

I am really looking forward to their new stuff - I will be glad if they surpass their 3 last records' qualities!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • a friend of a friend who's a Warner Bros. exec said the new album is going to be a rocker!
    Ricsard wrote:
    IMHO R.E.M. used to be the band that could do only brilliant records until UP that was their first only good record.
    Reveal is my least fav record of theirs, the last one was good again, not that bad at all but I knop it's among their forgettable stuffs!

I agree about Reveal and Around The Sun, both to me very souless and bland records.....

HOWEVER......Up to me is amazing.....cant really explain why I love Up but dislike Reveal and Around The Sun, but I do lol.....
    Around The Sun has some good tracks on it, but I never got into Reveal. I LOVE Up though. Great album. Apart from Airportman. I can't listen that. And I normally love REM's album openers. Finest Worksong and Begin The Begin are favourites, what about you guys?
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I'm excited for the new record. I hope it rocks and surprises the hell out of everyone. I agree with most people in that Around the Sun was a letdown. I'm in the minority with Reveal, though, I think it's 3/4 of a great album and the songs sound gorgeous.

edved82 - Yes I love Monster as well. It's the album that made me an R.E.M. fan.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    audiodave wrote:
    And I normally love REM's album openers. Finest Worksong and Begin The Begin are favourites, what about you guys?

Among openers, I guess I'd go with Begin the Begin as it's one of my Top 5 favorite R.E.M. songs ever.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I like all REM's album aside from 'Up' which I thought was awful (aside from Walk Unafraid) even 'Around the Sun' which while nowhere near their best work is still a solid listen. 'Document' is probably my favourate.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    jammerfall wrote:
    Good to hear positive feedback about "Monster." It was R.E.M.'s big, flashy rock record and holds its place amongst their other releases.

Pearl Jam + R.E.M. + Pixies = my holy trinity of rock.

Highly anticipating R.E.M.'s return to form, even though I think Up/Reveal/Around The Sun make an interesting trilogy.
    Monster is my favorite R.E.M. album, with new adventures in hifi as close second.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm