I need some help from Ben Harper fans please.......

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I absolutley love Welcome To The Cruel World and Diamonds On The Inside......

BUT

I bought Both Sides Of The Gun and and was terribly let down, and don't like that record at all, I found it very bland.....

What should I get next?
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    'Fight for your mind' it's got some of his best 'hits'. Great album.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    I absolutley love Welcome To The Cruel World and Diamonds On The Inside......

BUT

I bought Both Sides Of The Gun and and was terribly let down, and don't like that record at all, I found it very bland.....

What should I get next?

It's interesting you like Diamonds on the Inside but not Both Sides of the Gun. Diamonds is easily my least fav album of his.

I would second the Fight For Your Mind rec. The Will to Live is also good, as is Lifeline.

If you want a good sampling of his earlier material, Live from Mars is an excellent starter, and one of the best official live albums I've heard. If you get this one, you could pick up the others based on what you like as it covers stuff from his first 4 albums.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i say "the will to live"... and i agree that its strange you would like diamonds and not BSOTG... frankly the more BH i listen to the less enthused i am by him... its the same as jack johnson... its all good... but good in the exact same way... BH is damn good at the lap guitar... i just wish hed use it more like robert randolph does and get me up and dancing!! :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I can't believe you didn't like Both Sides Of The Gun! How is Black Rain bland?! How can you not be moved by Morning Yearning or Picture In A Frame? :confused: I think you need to give it another listen! :D
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I can't believe you didn't like Both Sides Of The Gun! How is Black Rain bland?! How can you not be moved by Morning Yearning or Picture In A Frame? :confused: I think you need to give it another listen! :D

I shall give it a try I promise :)

I think maybe because Diamonds On The Inside was my first Harper album is why I like it so much.....Two Hands, Amen Omen, Blessed To Be A Witness, When It's Good, Touch From Your Lust......lol I cant believe people DON'T like it :D
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    I shall give it a try I promise :)

I think maybe because Diamonds On The Inside was my first Harper album is why I like it so much.....Two Hands, Amen Omen, Blessed To Be A Witness, When It's Good, Touch From Your Lust......lol I cant believe people DON'T like it :D

I liked Diamonds... too, some great tunes on there. But I way prefer Both Sides Of The Gun. The first disc is perfect chilling out music, and the second disc has a great mix of rocking and funky tunes.
    I liked Diamonds... too, some great tunes on there. But I way prefer Both Sides Of The Gun. The first disc is perfect chilling out music, and the second disc has a great mix of rocking and funky tunes.

Gonna dig it out later and give it a second chance I think..... :)
  • Lifeline is as chill as it gets
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07

Listening to the album now.....the first disc is really growing on me :)

God knows how i missed this the first time round.....
    Listening to the album now.....the first disc is really growing on me :)

God knows how i missed this the first time round.....

Oh we've all done it before, played an album through and dismissed it. It's even worse when you're particularly attached to another cd by that artist because it's impossible not to compare the two.
    Oh we've all done it before, played an album through and dismissed it. It's even worse when you're particularly attached to another cd by that artist because it's impossible not to compare the two.

Very true :)

im glad i've seen the light on this one though :D
  • I really enjoy "There Will Be A Light" which is a collaboration with The Blind Boys of Alabama. It's not really typical Ben Harper, there's a gospel feel to many songs, but I find it very pleasing to the ear. However, I listen to A LOT of different styles of music and if you're expecting rock and or roll music :D, then this would not necessarily be something you'd want in your collection. :)

Oh man, "Both Sides of the Gun" has Better Way---I absolutely love that song!!! "...reality is sharp it cuts at me like a knife, everyone I know is in the fight of their life, and I believe in a better way..." Yeah, good stuff. :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen