Devils and Dust - Bruce Springsteens

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited April 2008 in Other Music
such an underated record....

This album is the reason Magic was quite a let down to me, the lyrics on this album are stunning.....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dustdust Posts: 133
    I Love it
  • ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
    such an underated record....

This album is the reason Magic was quite a let down to me, the lyrics on this album are stunning.....

doesn't even come close to the rising. sorry
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Some great songs on there (Devils and Dust the song is one of Bruce's best), but like most of his acoustic albums, they are tough to sit down and listen to all the way through because many of the songs blend into each other for the first handful of listens.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    DOSW wrote:
    tough to sit down and listen to all the way through because many of the songs blend into each other for the first handful of listens.

That sentence describes Magic to me.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Well there's just a spark of a campfire left burnin'
    Two kids in a sleeping bag beside
    Reach 'neath your shirt, put my hands across your belly and feel
    Another one kickin' inside
    And I ain't gonna fuck it up this time
  • Pure Poetry. This always gets to me.

Black Cowboys.

Rainey Williams' playground was the Mott Haven streets where he ran past melted candles and flower wreaths, names and photos of young black faces, whose death and blood consecrated these places. Rainey's mother said, "Rainey stay at my side, for you are my blessing you are my pride. It's your love here that keeps my soul alive. I want you to come home from school and stay inside."

Rainey'd do his work and put his books away. There was a channel showed a western movie everyday. Lynette brought him home books on the black cowboys of the Oklahoma range and the Seminole scouts who fought the tribes of the Great Plains. Summer come and the days grew long. Rainey always had his mother's smile to depend on. Along a street of stray bullets he made his way, to the warmth of her arms at the end of each day.

Come the fall the rain flooded these homes, here in Ezekiel's valley of dry bones, it fell hard and dark to the ground. It fell without a sound. Lynette took up with a man whose business was the boulevard, whose smile was fixed in a face that was never off guard. In the pipes 'neath the kitchen sink his secrets he kept. In the day, behind drawn curtains, in Lynette's bedroom he slept.

Then she got lost in the days. The smile Rainey depended on dusted away, the arms that held him were no more his home. He lay at night his head pressed to her chest listening to the ghost in her bones.

In the kitchen Rainey slipped his hand between the pipes. From a brown bag pulled five hundred dollar bills and stuck it in his coat side, stood in the dark at his mother's bed, brushed her hair and kissed her eyes.

In the twilight Rainey walked to the station along streets of stone. Through Pennsylvania and Ohio his train drifted on. Through the small towns of Indiana the big train crept, as he lay his head back on the seat and slept. He awoke and the towns gave way to muddy fields of green, corn and cotton and an endless nothin' in between. Over the rutted hills of Oklahoma the red sun slipped and was gone. The moon rose and stripped the earth to its bone.

Copyright © Bruce Springsteen (ASCAP)
    "You can't be neutral, on a moving train"
  • definitely like devils and dust, but definitely LOVE magic...both great records.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
    JSMiscedra wrote:
    Pure Poetry. This always gets to me.

Black Cowboys.

Rainey Williams' playground was the Mott Haven streets where he ran past melted candles and flower wreaths, names and photos of young black faces, whose death and blood consecrated these places. Rainey's mother said, "Rainey stay at my side, for you are my blessing you are my pride. It's your love here that keeps my soul alive. I want you to come home from school and stay inside."

Rainey'd do his work and put his books away. There was a channel showed a western movie everyday. Lynette brought him home books on the black cowboys of the Oklahoma range and the Seminole scouts who fought the tribes of the Great Plains. Summer come and the days grew long. Rainey always had his mother's smile to depend on. Along a street of stray bullets he made his way, to the warmth of her arms at the end of each day.

Come the fall the rain flooded these homes, here in Ezekiel's valley of dry bones, it fell hard and dark to the ground. It fell without a sound. Lynette took up with a man whose business was the boulevard, whose smile was fixed in a face that was never off guard. In the pipes 'neath the kitchen sink his secrets he kept. In the day, behind drawn curtains, in Lynette's bedroom he slept.

Then she got lost in the days. The smile Rainey depended on dusted away, the arms that held him were no more his home. He lay at night his head pressed to her chest listening to the ghost in her bones.

In the kitchen Rainey slipped his hand between the pipes. From a brown bag pulled five hundred dollar bills and stuck it in his coat side, stood in the dark at his mother's bed, brushed her hair and kissed her eyes.

In the twilight Rainey walked to the station along streets of stone. Through Pennsylvania and Ohio his train drifted on. Through the small towns of Indiana the big train crept, as he lay his head back on the seat and slept. He awoke and the towns gave way to muddy fields of green, corn and cotton and an endless nothin' in between. Over the rutted hills of Oklahoma the red sun slipped and was gone. The moon rose and stripped the earth to its bone.

Copyright © Bruce Springsteen (ASCAP)

Great great song......

the lyrics on Magic pale in comparrison.....
  • HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    Its okay.
    Nice to know you.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I Like the title track.
    The rest of the album was average.

I thought Magic was so much better.
  • Great great song......

the lyrics on Magic pale in comparrison.....

Every Sunday morning Devils & Dust followed by ITW.
    "You can't be neutral, on a moving train"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a fantastic record. i dug this so much more than the Rising. parts of the Rising seemed forced to me but D&D was right up my alley. for die hards only perhaps.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    reno

:eek:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I love parts of The Rising, but i agree that some of it felt forced and un-natural. On the other hand, i think Devils and Dust is a masterpiece. Every song is just so poetic and beautiful once you've taken the time to listen to it more than once or twice.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Devils and Dust is an amazing record indeed. Stop talking bad about "Magic" though, which is also an awesome album. They are two different things anyways, with Bruce in different mindsets. Anyways, I wish Bruce would play a few this tour with E street from Devils and Dust. "All I'm Thinking About" is sooooo good, so simple yet so perfect. Also love "Maria's Bed". They are all good though. I saw him on that tour and it was breathtaking and so intense and sincere. I see Bruce with E Street for my first time on the 27th of this month.
    I love parts of The Rising, but i agree that some of it felt forced and un-natural. On the other hand, i think Devils and Dust is a masterpiece. Every song is just so poetic and beautiful once you've taken the time to listen to it more than once or twice.

I fully agree....

As good as The Rising and Magic are Devils and Dust is something else, lyrically it owns.....
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    In my opinion this album was Bruce's best achievement,which I think really says something. It's like his Binaural or Riot Act,not everyone likes it but if you do you absolutely adore it.

Lyrically,it just gets me everytime,'The Hitter','Black Cowboys','Long Time Comin', everything on it seems honest and heartfelt,mournful even. Magic and The Rising are both great albums but this is the one which I feel really close to,Bruce is better when he goes it alone as this album and Ghost of Tom Joad prove,just him and an acoustic guitar can take you places the E Street Band never could,no disrespect to them,but I think if you wanna know what goes on inside Bruce deep down you should listen to this album.

I think this song would have been fitting on Devils and Dust http://youtube.com/watch?v=6tR7rNMic8s
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    Carlos D wrote:
    In my opinion this album was Bruce's best achievement,which I think really says something. It's like his Binaural or Riot Act,not everyone likes it but if you do you absolutely adore it.

Lyrically,it just gets me everytime,'The Hitter','Black Cowboys','Long Time Comin', everything on it seems honest and heartfelt,mournful even. Magic and The Rising are both great albums but this is the one which I feel really close to,Bruce is better when he goes it alone as this album and Ghost of Tom Joad prove,just him and an acoustic guitar can take you places the E Street Band never could,no disrespect to them,but I think if you wanna know what goes on inside Bruce deep down you should listen to this album.

I agree with everything you said :)