Bob Dylan - sill as good?

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Just listening to Time Out Of Mind.....

It's a really good album, very moody in places.....

Just wondered whether people think his newer material compares to that of his 60s and 70s peaks...???
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    no it doesnt compare....but his legend lives on

hes still great...but its nothing we havent heard before.
  • StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    I have heard him live just a month ago in Europe..and well..I like the older stuff way better and I don't like the new arangements. At all. Was quite dissapointed..
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    His new stuff is fantastic. It not better then his old stuff, its just different. He isnt even the same person anymore. I saw him last summer and I thought he was amazing.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • different times, different stuff. 'modern times' is excellent, and i saw him in worcester, ma this year and him and his band were great.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Time out of Mind, Love and Theft and Modern Times were as well recieved as anything he did in the 60's.

He is still out there, making good music, touring like a madman
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    The last two records are great. Time Out of Mind is magnificent. A real work of art.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • The last three albums he's released are far better and more consistent than any new material he's done since Desire, I think.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    The last three albums he's released are far better and more consistent than any new material he's done since Desire, I think.

I think I'd have to agree....

Time Out Of Mind especially is superb and Modern Times has really grown on me recently.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Just listening to Time Out Of Mind.....

It's a really good album, very moody in places.....

Just wondered whether people think his newer material compares to that of his 60s and 70s peaks...???

Great album but he doesn't sound that good in concert anymore.
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    Love and Theft is his masterpiece. It's got stuff from all eras and it's all unbelievable
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Time Out of Mind is by far one of my favorite Dylan albums, right up there with Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Time Out Of Mind is probably his 4th best album and is still definitely his best since 1975.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Love to see the love for Time Out Of Mind

That cd made me a fan all over again :)
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Around the time Time Out of Mind I became a Dylan maniac, read all the books, studied the lyrics and really began listening to the entirety of his catalogue. The last three albums in my opinion are absolutely great with Time being my favorite of the three. I think Modern Times came out at a point when my musical mindset was just a little too far removed from Dylan so it didn't stick with me so much, but still a great piece of music.
    Bob is the master
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    He's a mere skeleton of what he once was. But he is a legend, so he will still get respect.
    "It's all happening"
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    He's a mere skeleton of what he once was. But he is a legend, so he will still get respect.

Time Out of Mind happens to be as good as anything he's ever put out and I would call that cd his recent past.

Check it out...it might surprise you, in a good way :)
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    augustwest wrote:
    Time Out of Mind happens to be as good as anything he's ever put out and I would call that cd his recent past.

Check it out...it might surprise you, in a good way :)

It is a very, very good album.....

Had it on repeat for the past few days.....I love Can't Wait, his voice sounds so raw and passionate.....