bands that escaped their 'MTV hit' to go on to record a phenomenal album

itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
edited October 2007 in Other Music
so glad i went back to check out what these bands got up to after pop culture let them resume normal life.....

NADA SURF
MTV hit: popular
went on to record the indie pop-genius that is: let go

TRIPPING DAISY
MTV hit: i got a girl
went on to record the alternative masterpiece that is: jesus hits like the atom bomb

JIMMY EAT WORLD
MTV hit(s): all singles released from bleed american
went on to record the highly underrated, understated: futures

anyone got any others we should know about?
Look Alive,
See These Bones
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Pearl Jam-went on to record "No Code" and "Yield" and "Vitalogy" :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    tybird wrote:
    Pearl Jam-went on to record "No Code" and "Yield" and "Vitalogy" :D
    haha touche ;)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • JIMMY EAT WORLD

Might as well be Fall Out Boy. They Blizooooooooow.
    lastexit wrote:
    JIMMY EAT WORLD

Might as well be Fall Out Boy. They Blizooooooooow.
    nice!! you've got it!! the exact reason this thread was created!!! :rolleyes:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Blind Melon, everyone has heard of No Rain, you just have to say

"You know the video with the bee girl", and pretty much everybody knows what your talkin about, but they made two really great records with Shannon Hoon.

But it's like I'm telling people who don't know.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
    Them-Bones wrote:
    Blind Melon, everyone has heard of No Rain, you just have to say

"You know the video with the bee girl", and pretty much everybody knows what your talkin about, but they made two really great records with Shannon Hoon.

But it's like I'm telling people who don't know.
    soup is awesome :cool:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Flaming Lips - I wrote them off as a novelty act when 'She Don't Use Jelly' was everywhere, but they went on to record the Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, both amazing discs.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    itsevobaby wrote:
    so glad i went back to check out what these bands got up to after pop culture let them resume normal life.....

NADA SURF
    MTV hit: popular
    went on to record the indie pop-genius that is: let go

TRIPPING DAISY
    MTV hit: i got a girl
    went on to record the alternative masterpiece that is: jesus hits like the atom bomb

JIMMY EAT WORLD
    MTV hit(s): all singles released from bleed american
    went on to record the highly underrated, understated: futures

anyone got any others we should know about?

haha- nada surf
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I was thinking it's never been done, but of course it has, the answer is right under our noses...like the man said, it's Pearl Jam. And I make absolutely no apologies for saying it. Well done fellas.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • I'd say Nada Surf and The Flaming Lips are two great examples... :)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    hanson- mmmbop was a serious contender for most annoying pop song of all time, but 'this time around' and 'the walk' are great albums.

silverchair- tomorrow was huge, but their last 3 albums of some of the best albums i've ever heard from a rock band.

the strokes- mtv darlings for a few minutes, but their last album was so much better than the first.
  • Nirvana (Smells Like Teen Spirit) - then comes In Utero
    Weezer (Buddy Holly) - then comes Pinkerton
    Smashing Pumpkins (Today) - then comes Mellon Collie (1979) - then comes Adore
    Green Day (Basket Case) - then comes Insomniac

And of course Pearl Jam who get better with age :)
  • What about Radiohead?

"Creep" -> pretty much their entire body of work
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World is probably the best album I've ever heard.Futures was pretty amazing too,by the sounds of it the new album(chase this light) will be amazing also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgA3_l9EP4

Fountains Of Wayne have made some great albums too.
    I guess the Pumpkins and Pearl Jam are obvious ones too,they've made their most interesting stuff without MTV playing them.
    Beck definitely,it's hard for a lot of people to think the guy who wrote 'Loser' also wrote 'Sea Change'.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    Carlos D wrote:
    Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World is probably the best album I've ever heard.Futures was pretty amazing too,by the sounds of it the new album(chase this light) will be amazing also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgA3_l9EP4

you're nuts... futures is way better than bleed american ;) i also like clarity better than bleed american as well. bleed american was just too close to the punk-pop sound for me. is the new album along the lines of the dark seriousness of futures or more a return to the classic sunny emo thing?
  • you're nuts... futures is way better than bleed american ;) i also like clarity better than bleed american as well. bleed american was just too close to the punk-pop sound for me. is the new album along the lines of the dark seriousness of futures or more a return to the classic sunny emo thing?

Well,Futures at times means more to me than Bleed American but there was a couple songs on Futures that I thought were Bleed American rehashed(Nothingwrong,Just Tonight) I thought the songs where they tried something different(Polaris,23,Kill,Work,Night Drive) were the best.Clarity's great too,I love Blister and Just watch the fireworks.Have you heard Static Prevails?It has its moments but overall it's only okay compared to the later stuff.

As far as I know(and from the songs I've heard)the new album's gonna be kind of in between Futures and Bleed American,the songs I've heard are poppy and serious in equal amounts...if that makes sense:D They've said it's 'eclectic' so take from that what you want.Butch Vig is producing it by the way!

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • eels
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    Carlos D wrote:
    Well,Futures at times means more to me than Bleed American but there was a couple songs on Futures that I thought were Bleed American rehashed(Nothingwrong,Just Tonight) I thought the songs where they tried something different(Polaris,23,Kill,Work,Night Drive) were the best.Clarity's great too,I love Blister and Just watch the fireworks.Have you heard Static Prevails?It has its moments but overall it's only okay compared to the later stuff.

As far as I know(and from the songs I've heard)the new album's gonna be kind of in between Futures and Bleed American,the songs I've heard are poppy and serious in equal amounts...if that makes sense:D They've said it's 'eclectic' so take from that what you want.Butch Vig is producing it by the way!

yeah, static prevails was ok but kinda underwhelming. anyway, my gf and i are going to see them in november and she's a huge fan so i can hear the new album when she buys it ;)
  • yeah, static prevails was ok but kinda underwhelming. anyway, my gf and i are going to see them in november and she's a huge fan so i can hear the new album when she buys it ;)

Lucky git!Enjoy it.I saw them two years ago and they were great,hopefully they'll play here again next year.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • eels
    Ooh. Good one. He quietly continues to put out some quality stuff.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Faith No More, Pearl Jam, Blind Melon, Radiohead, I haven't watched MTV in about 10 years, so that's about as good as I could do. Did Sugar Ray ever make it?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Modest Mouse- Float On

Their new album We We're dead... is way better then good news...

that said their older albums were great too so i'm not sure if they are a good example
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22