Bloc Party - Mercury

itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
edited July 2008 in Other Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdyExUfIbI

interesting. definitely taking a radiohead/tv on the radio path. could say it's brave i guess, really opening themselves to fan backlash with the electronica push, but who knows, might work out for them, following radiohead's lead perhaps?

first listen was just surprise, knocked me back a bit & didn't like it all. but gave it another couple of listens and it's getting better but still not sure what to think about it :confused: crazy vid though!

still love bloc party, look forward to hearing where the next album goes
Look Alive,
See These Bones
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    It's ok, not my favourite song ever by them, but I shall be interested to hear it on the album and how it fits in with the rest of it.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    god their second album was a let down, ive actually been listening to silent alarm again lately, hopefully this next one is redemption for that stinker

2 minutes was enough for me for that mercury shit. no thanks. i saw these guys live twice. once at the commodore and once at a theatre. on each of their album tours....i dont think i will be seeing them again. silent alarm was great but after that they lost me. oh well.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    I really like it... its catchy on the second listen
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    god their second album was a let down, ive actually been listening to silent alarm again lately, hopefully this next one is redemption for that stinker

2 minutes was enough for me for that mercury shit. no thanks. i saw these guys live twice. once at the commodore and once at a theatre. on each of their album tours....i dont think i will be seeing them again. silent alarm was great but after that they lost me. oh well.

I'm liking both albums, A Weekend in the City has really grown on me, after being a little dissapointed after the first listen.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I LOVE Silent Alarm, awesome album. 2nd album was okay but not as good.

Not really liking this song.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Totally generic rock/drum n bass/electro. Heard it all before. I really liked Silent Alarm.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    took me a long time to like AWITC, wasn't what i was expecting after SA, but after MANY repeat listens it probably ended up being my top album of 2007. kele wore his heart on his sleeve for that record & i liked the atmosphere & texture of the songs. i like SA for completely different reasons.

as for mercury, yeah i agree harmless, there's nothing new here, those horns sound soooo 'national anthem'!! new for bloc party though i guess. we'll see, i ended up quite liking flux, and some first singles can sound a bit out there when they are taken out of context of the full album
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    one thing I've noticed about these guys, no matter what the song sounds like on the record, they pull it off live 10x better ...

I don't think this song will sound like the rest of the new album, but, we'll see.

They are coming here in a few weeks, can't wait to see them.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez