Ryan Adams & The Cardinals live 2007

itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
edited August 2007 in Other Music
just saw them the other night, anybody else seen them recently? AMAZING show, only disappointment (& it wasn't really THAT big a deal for me) was the set-list, just 2 songs from his first 5 albums, both from love is hell. second half of the set the crowd started losing their patience & was yelling out requests like come pick me up, carolina & some gold tracks. seemed like it was agitating (sp?) not only ryan but the whole band?

i can understand them wanting to play mostly cardinals stuff due to ryan no longer wanting to be considered a solo artist, but since he wrote everything anyway, where's the harm?

i haven't checked out his recent setlists, but anyone seen him play any old ones this tour? other than that, amazing artist, great show, thanks ryan! hope we didn't fuck you off too much!!
Look Alive,
See These Bones
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    But "easy tiger" is listed as just ryan adams as is "29" anyway so i dunno if thats why but i know what you mean some more heartbreaker and gold stuff i hope for when i see him live.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i'm seeing the cards next thursday. i dont really care what they play so long as it goes for hours. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    itsevobaby wrote:
    just saw them the other night, anybody else seen them recently? AMAZING show, only disappointment (& it wasn't really THAT big a deal for me) was the set-list, just 2 songs from his first 5 albums, both from love is hell. second half of the set the crowd started losing their patience & was yelling out requests like come pick me up, carolina & some gold tracks. seemed like it was agitating (sp?) not only ryan but the whole band?

i can understand them wanting to play mostly cardinals stuff due to ryan no longer wanting to be considered a solo artist, but since he wrote everything anyway, where's the harm?

i haven't checked out his recent setlists, but anyone seen him play any old ones this tour? other than that, amazing artist, great show, thanks ryan! hope we didn't fuck you off too much!!
    it was exactly the same when I saw him last october. fucking FANTASTIC show but the crowd were dicks and kept shouting "play something off Gold". I would have loved to hear some of the older stuff but I'm aware that he has to play what he's comfortable playing. by the end of the show he was getting noticeably pissed off and half way through the last song, which was a really beautiful piano ballad that he'd just written (and I still don't know the name of), he got sick of the heckling and walked off. I felt really bad for him because he gave it his all and people just couldn't give a shit.

I was treated to To Be Young and electric versions of Bartering Lines and When the stars go blue.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    If he played Let It Ride that would be enough for me.

I absolutely love that tune.
  • I'm seeing him next month. I don't care what he plays, he's been sounding great lately. His voice sounds so much stronger lately.

One of his shows from June is archived here:

http://aquariumdrunkard.com/2007/07/14/ryan-adams-la-maroquinerie-paris-france/
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    He`s playing in Oslo on 11/19, and I can`t wait.. That will be my first time, so I`m really looking forward to it!
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I was treated to To Be Young and electric versions of Bartering Lines and When the stars go blue.
    good golly....when stars go blue....i think my heart just stopped a little
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    i'm seeing the cards next thursday. i dont really care what they play so long as it goes for hours. :D
    he played for 2 hours with a 10min intermission in the middle :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    augustwest wrote:
    If he played Let It Ride that would be enough for me.

I absolutely love that tune.
    we got that! one of my favs :D was a bit slower than the studio version but was incredible :D:)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Love is Hell is my favorite album by him so I would be happy. I thought about going and seeing him when he comes to Cleveland, but I have tickets to the Ohio State Penn State game. I think I'm gonna have to pass on Ryan to watch the Buckeyes kick some ass. I have a ton of bootlegs though form this site:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Ryan%20Adams
  • Can't wait to see Ryan Adams tomorrow night in Melbourne!! :D (He was great on Rove btw haha) Don't really mind what he plays though, it's all good
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    JCN is my favorite album. The more I listen to it, the more I love it.

I'm seeing him in Toronto next month. I really look forward to it.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    JCN is my favorite album. The more I listen to it, the more I love it.

I'm seeing him in Toronto next month. I really look forward to it.
    yeah love it as well, dear john was haunting (& the dude singing backup actually sounded like norah?!?! wtf)

expect alot of cold roses, jcn & easy tiger
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    I'm seeing him in October for the first time. Just started getting in to him.

I currently own Easy Tiger, Cold Roses, Rock N Roll, and Heartbreaker. Any recommendations as to which album I should by next??

Also, does he post his setlists anywhere?
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    allornone wrote:

I currently own Easy Tiger, Cold Roses, Rock N Roll, and Heartbreaker. Any recommendations as to which album I should by next??

Love is Hell is my favorite. It's not like alt-country, it's more Alternative. Lost Highway wouldn't let him release it as a LP so he did it in 2 E.P.s that went over very well. I would definitely give it a shot. I've been a Ryan fan since 2001 and I feel it is up there with Gold as his best album. His latest albums have been decent, but they have their down points.

As for set lists, try the website I posted earlier. They have a bunch of bootlegs and should give you an idea on what he plays. But if your going to a show wanting to hear just one of his songs, your bound to be disappointed.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Even though the elite will snub it, I say "Gold". Such a great album from start to finish. Very poppy.
    Cock Fight.
    allornone wrote:

gold is essential. it may not end up being your favourite but it's class start to end. love is hell would probably be my most played R.A.

he's releasing a boxset before xmas07 with 4 unreleased albums (!?) & b-sides/rarities disc. Oossh.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Ah yes i say gold too.

I just went to see him, i have to agree with the whiny people making requests (we had them too) there was only two songs from easy tiger, no two or halloweenhead which was odd, everything almost was cold roses which was dissapointing too many slow songs. But aside from that a very good show and you're right his voice is the best it has been, so much better then last time i saw him. Just a shame he didn't mix it up more i thought, must be a cardinals thing.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    So, I saw them last night in Houston. It was unfortunate to hear about some of the other shows being rather short, be we got lucky. It was fuking amazing, all of it. Not sure if it was the crowd, or just the general mood of the band, but they were loving it. A near 3 hour concert is indicative of this, especially considering they broke curfew by 20 minutes. I guess you never know with seeing Ryan if it'll be great or not, but hopefully it's a sign of things to come for the remaining shows in the tour.

Here's the set from http://www.ryanadamsarchive.org (thanks Joel) :

On about 8:30

1. Peaceful Valley
    2. Please Do Not Let Me Go
    3. Cold Roses
    4. Bartering Lines
    5. Off Broadway (rockin') >
    6. Peaceful Valley (reprise)
    7. Goodnight Rose (groovy and mellow)
    8. Freeway To The Canyon (Neal Casal)
    9. Rescue Blues
    10. Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) (just the solos part)
    11. When The Stars Go Blue

Set Break 9:45

12. Two
    13. Shakedown on 9th St
    14. Improv song about Jon Graboff
    15. Happy Birthday Spacewolf
    16. Beautiful Sorta
    17. Wild Flowers
    18. A Kiss Before I Go

Encore 10:25

19. Why Do They Leave (electric)
    20. I Taught Myself How To Grow Old
    21. Everybody Knows
    22. Nightbirds
    23. Easy Plateau
    24. Let It Ride

2nd Encore 11:05

25. Magnolia Mountain

All done... 11:20
  • cc10106 wrote:
    So, I saw them last night in Houston. It was unfortunate to hear about some of the other shows being rather short, be we got lucky. It was fuking amazing, all of it. Not sure if it was the crowd, or just the general mood of the band, but they were loving it. A near 3 hour concert is indicative of this, especially considering they broke curfew by 20 minutes. I guess you never know with seeing Ryan if it'll be great or not, but hopefully it's a sign of things to come for the remaining shows in the tour.

Here's the set from http://www.ryanadamsarchive.org (thanks Joel) :

On about 8:30

1. Peaceful Valley
    2. Please Do Not Let Me Go
    3. Cold Roses
    4. Bartering Lines
    5. Off Broadway (rockin') >
    6. Peaceful Valley (reprise)
    7. Goodnight Rose (groovy and mellow)
    8. Freeway To The Canyon (Neal Casal)
    9. Rescue Blues
    10. Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) (just the solos part)
    11. When The Stars Go Blue

Set Break 9:45

12. Two
    13. Shakedown on 9th St
    14. Improv song about Jon Graboff
    15. Happy Birthday Spacewolf
    16. Beautiful Sorta
    17. Wild Flowers
    18. A Kiss Before I Go

Encore 10:25

19. Why Do They Leave (electric)
    20. I Taught Myself How To Grow Old
    21. Everybody Knows
    22. Nightbirds
    23. Easy Plateau
    24. Let It Ride

2nd Encore 11:05

25. Magnolia Mountain

All done... 11:20

that sounds like an incredible show. i saw them in may in morgantown, wv and it was a great show, but extremely short (about 80 minutes). i'm seeing them again outside of cleveland next week and i'm hoping it's something a little more along the lines of the show you just witnessed!
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    Saw them in Atlanta last weekend and it was great. Played for exactly two hours and completely rocked the Fox Theater. Really jammy and extended all his songs. People got pissed and started booing when he didnt play an encore but you have to go into a Ryan show not knowing what to expect, great show nonetheless.