Options

Jeff Buckley..

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited March 2010 in Other Music
There was a poll a few weeks ago over who was better, Cornell or Buckley..

and i thought.. "no one could be better than Cornell.."

but now that i've listened to Buckley... i must concede that he is indeed better than Cornell.

that's all. God Bless Jeff Buckley. R.I.P.

*tips hat*
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    What you should have concluded, is that it is impossible to compare the two.
    Both amazing in their own way. :)
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Options
    onejourney wrote:
    What you should have concluded, is that it is impossible to compare the two.
    Both amazing in their own way. :)

I second this.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I voted for Chris in that poll...then again, it all depends.

I don't think there's any other way to describe their greatness. I agree with onejourney though...both of them definitely are amazing in their own way. :D
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    both are amazing and it's not a question of "greatness" which one you prefer... it's down to personal taste...
    two amazingly talented singers... and there are even some bad singers, technically speaking, who i prefer to much more accompished artists...

but in the case of jeff buckley, there's no denying that he was one of the greatest of all time :(

pearl jam and toast, i'm glad that this thread made you discover and appreciate the greatness that was jeff...
    :)
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    apart from the range. neither are anything like the other in any respect. both are awesome though
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    apart from the range. neither are anything like the other in any respect. both are awesome though
    i'll agree with that
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    both are amazing and it's not a question of "greatness" which one you prefer... it's down to personal taste...
    two amazingly talented singers... and there are even some bad singers, technically speaking, who i prefer to much more accompished artists...

but in the case of jeff buckley, there's no denying that he was one of the greatest of all time :(

pearl jam and toast, i'm glad that this thread made you discover and appreciate the greatness that was jeff...
    :)
    well it wasn't that thread really.... as a matter of fact Jeff has been on top of my "to do" list for a long time.. i jsut never got around to it.

i know they're completely different in pretty much every way... but Jeff was just mindblowingly talented and unique... Even more so than Chris i think.

Both of them made some of the most emotional music in history. :)

"Make our day"
  • Options
    There was a poll a few weeks ago over who was better, Cornell or Buckley..

and i thought.. "no one could be better than Cornell.."

but now that i've listened to Buckley... i must concede that he is indeed better than Cornell.

that's all. God Bless Jeff Buckley. R.I.P.

*tips hat*

Ummmm....comparing Cornell and Buckley??? Don't know how anyone could, sooo different....

That being said, Buckley is/was so amazing. I put in my DVD Live in Chicago alot just to watch that EPK (?) on it....the only insight I have as to what kind of person he was and how his brain worked. And it worked beautifully. I hope that if there are some pearly gates, he's there singing me in when my day comes.....
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    soulshine wrote:
    Ummmm....comparing Cornell and Buckley??? Don't know how anyone could, sooo different....

That being said, Buckley is/was so amazing. I put in my DVD Live in Chicago alot just to watch that EPK (?) on it....the only insight I have as to what kind of person he was and how his brain worked. And it worked beautifully. I hope that if there are some pearly gates, he's there singing me in when my day comes.....
    see above

^^

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Chris is great...
    but Jeff is amazing!
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Wow, that is a tough call but seeing Jeff Buckley live still trumps just about any other concert experience I've ever had... he was truly incredible :(
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Tim_In_Front_of_Posters.jpg
    His father Tim was awesome check out his music
  • Options
    Tim Buckley was also amazing... This Mortal Coil's cover of Song to the Siren... sublime.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Tone wrote:
    Wow, that is a tough call but seeing Jeff Buckley live still trumps just about any other concert experience I've ever had... he was truly incredible :(

Damn. That is quite the feat to have accomplished. I hope that memory is dear to you, cause it would be to me. Jeff had an exquisite voice that was in a league of its own. I imagine seeing him live was nearly spiritual.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Damn. That is quite the feat to have accomplished. I hope that memory is dear to you, cause it would be to me. Jeff had an exquisite voice that was in a league of its own. I imagine seeing him live was nearly spiritual.

So dear to me, believe me. I'm incredibly fortunate to have seen him live twice, both equally incredible experiences, but both so different from each other. The first show was in a small seated theatre, you could have heard a pin drop, the entire place silent, transfixed, jaws on the ground and eyes set on the left-hand side of the stage. No one in the audience sang along, no one spoke, no one left their seats for beer, it was just all Jeff. I have never experienced anything like that in a concert and I seriously doubt I will again. The second show was at a GA venue, where everyone just went absolutely ape-shit bonkers, Jeff stage-dived during Kick Out The Jams, he cracked jokes, it was just a completely different atmosphere with everyone squashed up against the stage, but the whole crowd still completely transfixed.

I have put Jeff Buckley in a capsule in my mind, I still find it difficult listening to him. I blasted Grace the other month for the first time in years. His death hit me harder than any other "star/musician" death (for want of putting it a better way). He was cheated, as were we all. He is a huge loss, still.
  • Options
    alivegirlalivegirl Posts: 124
    I know what you mean tone,I find it's nearly impossible to watch his dvd's without shedding a tear, very bittersweet! What we have to be thankful for is the fact that he's left us with such a legacy, he truly was a unique artist. One of my fave's would have to be moodswing whiskey, never tire from listening to it over and over, such depth.
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 361
    Seeing Jeff live would have been amazing, I never had such luck and didn't actually discover him until after his death. His talent and potential were absolutely huge. Interesting that he and Chris Cornell are being compared - unless I'm remembering incorrectly, they were actually friends. Imagine if things had been different and they had collaborated at some point! :shock:
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    pandora wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff but I prefer Tim's music over Jeff's.
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    One of the greatest losses of all time!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff but I prefer Tim's music over Jeff's.

yea me too like awesome Buzzin Fly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLfho6ecv_M

and Strange Feelin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ColANWa9o

And when he speaks of his little son http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOeKz6JCKaw
    Love from room 109 at the Islander

and funky crazy Get on Top http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnSAkqgdBEw

And this treasure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQ5CMGq4vc

I found his music fresh out of high school just after he passed. Wish he could have stayed around and made much more
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    BALLBOY wrote:
    I agree with this 100%, not because Jeff was the greatest singer (after all, he only released one full album before he died so it's hard to justify "greatness"), but because of his potential. It's so sad to think of what he could have achieved if he hadn't passed.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    BALLBOY wrote:
    I agree with this 100%, not because Jeff was the greatest singer (after all, he only released one full album before he died so it's hard to justify "greatness"), but because of his potential. It's so sad to think of what he could have achieved if he hadn't passed.

I agree with YOU 100%. Jeff had the potential to really impress some people. A lot of people I ask don't know who Jeff Buckley is, and I always tell them that you'll thank me when you listen.

My girlfriend's hairdresser sent her a text message after she gave him a copy of 'Grace' that said: "Yeah, he's kind of queer."

I told her I wouldn't allow her to be beautified by a douche-bag who obviously lacks taste. :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    BALLBOY wrote:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Sketches For My Sweetheart, The Drunk" a full album as well? Obviously much more eclectic and diverse...but still, a full length collection, no?

EDIT: Just looked it up on Wikipedia, it's just a collection, not a full length album. My bad, yo.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    The question should have been who would have had a better collaboration with Timbaland...not so fast Chris.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    The question should have been who would have had a better collaboration with Timbaland...not so fast Chris.

PBM

:lol:

Would Jeff have been any more forgiven though? :problem:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL