Bob Dylan Was Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Setlist:

1. Maggie's Farm
2. The Times They Are A-Changin'
3. Lonesome Day Blues
4. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
5. Boots Of Spanish Leather
6. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
7. Shelter From The Storm
8. Highway 61 Revisited
9. Just Like A Woman
10. Honest With Me
11. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
12. Summer Days

(encore)
13. Like A Rolling Stone
14. All Along The Watchtower

ITS ALRIGHT MA IM ONLY FUCKING BLEEDING

aelkfjsdlgafrwdjtlnf

That + 2 hours of dancing... I think I'm ready to die.

Seriously, that encore nearly matched the energy of a Pearl Jam show..

If anyone was at the show by chance (in Winston Salem, NC) than I was one of the 5 or 6 kids dancing around in circles (around a sombraro ^_^ ) for much of the show.
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    how was shelter from the storm played? acousticly or did it also get the infamous love n theft treatment?
    I change by not changing at all.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    my friend saw him recently in columbus and said she was slightly disappointed. but then she's not a huge dylan fan and isnt all that familiar with his work (though i guess im not really either). eric clapton DID join him onstage though and she said that was awesome. what the fuck are bob dylan and eric clapton doing in columbus, ohio at the same time anyway?
  • daanarts wrote:
    how was shelter from the storm played? acousticly or did it also get the infamous love n theft treatment?
    I suppose it would be the Love and Theft way. The band looked like the love and theft type band... western type..

Very good though. Dylan was stuck to piano but that's okay, he's still bob dylan :)

"Make our day"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'm glad to hear you had a great time at the show. i haven't been able to see bob live yet...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Setlist:

1. Maggie's Farm
    2. The Times They Are A-Changin'
    3. Lonesome Day Blues
    4. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
    5. Boots Of Spanish Leather
    6. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
    7. Shelter From The Storm
    8. Highway 61 Revisited
    9. Just Like A Woman
    10. Honest With Me
    11. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    12. Summer Days

(encore)
    13. Like A Rolling Stone
    14. All Along The Watchtower

ITS ALRIGHT MA IM ONLY FUCKING BLEEDING

aelkfjsdlgafrwdjtlnf

That + 2 hours of dancing... I think I'm ready to die.

Seriously, that encore nearly matched the energy of a Pearl Jam show..

If anyone was at the show by chance (in Winston Salem, NC) than I was one of the 5 or 6 kids dancing around in circles (around a sombraro ^_^ ) for much of the show.
    That's a pretty fucking perfect setlist. you gotshelter from the storm AND Its alright Ma???!!! lucky...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    That's a pretty fucking perfect setlist. you gotshelter from the storm AND Its alright Ma???!!! lucky...
    'it's alright ma' was the best of the night too!

I love the man to death, but no one's pretending his voice isn't shot from all those cigarettes (of which he smoked at least 3 last night :p ), but the way he's having to sing the last 6 years or so fit perfectly with the desperate tone of the song... absolutely gorgeous.

"Make our day"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    he played in binghamton in '04 and i heard he sucked badly. thats what stopped me from not getting tix to this tour- maybe i'll change my mind. i love his music so much it would be kinda weird if I end up never seeing him live.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • I always hate it when people walk away saying he was terrible because of his voice.. the man has ingested more cigarettes than any human being on the planet! He works his ass off.. and he was still incredible at my show.

"Make our day"
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    I saw him earlier this year, and I was satisfied with his voice. I can see how somebody unfamiliar with him would be turned off by it, but I knew what I was getting myself into.

I too saw "Its Alright Ma", which happens to be my favorite Dylan song :)
  • AstroFan wrote:
    I saw him earlier this year, and I was satisfied with his voice. I can see how somebody unfamiliar with him would be turned off by it, but I knew what I was getting myself into.

I too saw "Its Alright Ma", which happens to be my favorite Dylan song :)
    me to!

You think it's as powerful as I perceived it the way he's playing it?

"Make our day"
  • did he sound like he was going to die?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    he played in binghamton in '04 and i heard he sucked badly. thats what stopped me from not getting tix to this tour- maybe i'll change my mind. i love his music so much it would be kinda weird if I end up never seeing him live.
    Dylan can be real hit or miss. I saw him at the Houston Rodeo in 2002 and I thought it was a descent show, but my parents were highly dissapointed. (I am a bigger Dylan fan than my parents though, although my Dad and I both think the Traveling Wilburys was some of Bob's best work ever and a great band). I think the problem with the Rodeo show, is that Dylan did not talk at all. He did not aknowlede the crowd at all, not a "hi", Hello," "Thank you," Nothing. Also the sound in the astrodome Blows- it was not made for accoustics, let alone concerts but that is a sound issue, not Dylan's fault. The astrodome stage also rotates and when Lay Lady Lay got played, the tempo was off midway through the song. I'm not sure if a string broke on the telecaster guitar or what but something merely fucked up the song. They should have started over. They did a great job, on Don't think twice, I'll be your baby tonight, High water, Rainy day women sounded pretty good with a western twist, and All along the watchtower was an ultimate highlight. I guess I just was not used to going to a show, where the artist doesn't aknowledge the crowd. Also Lay lady lay can't be captured live the way it was in the studio, His voive is clearly awful on that song, but overall his voice was fine. Like someone said, those not familiar with Dylan or don't like his voice are not going to enjoy the show. I hope to see Bob again, in like a theater type setting. The setlists the thread starter listed seems pretty sick- a great setlist and I bet it was a treat to hear.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    Also, why has Dylan been playing Keys for the last few years? Is there a particular reason why he is not playing guitar anymore? I noticed he has been on keys since like 2003 permenantly it seems.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    red mos wrote:
    Also, why has Dylan been playing Keys for the last few years? Is there a particular reason why he is not playing guitar anymore? I noticed he has been on keys since like 2003 permenantly it seems.

arthritis prevents him from playing guitar and i believe he has some back issues as well
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I always hate it when people walk away saying he was terrible because of his voice.. the man has ingested more cigarettes than any human being on the planet! He works his ass off.. and he was still incredible at my show.

i dont think that's a valid excuse. that's like saying a given athlete shouldn't be told he sucks if he stops working out eats pizza by the box and gets fat and weak... all just becos once upon a time he was a hall of famer. bob makes his living by his music and you'd think he'd want to take care of it. just becos he's a legend and wrote some of the best music of our time doesnt give him a free pass for letting his voice go to pot and resulting in unimpressive live performances. it's part of why i dont want to see him. his music is so incredible, i dont want to taint that by seeing a performance that is disappointing.
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    red mos wrote:
    Dylan can be real hit or miss. I saw him at the Houston Rodeo in 2002 and I thought it was a descent show, but my parents were highly dissapointed. (I am a bigger Dylan fan than my parents though, although my Dad and I both think the Traveling Wilburys was some of Bob's best work ever and a great band). I think the problem with the Rodeo show, is that Dylan did not talk at all. He did not aknowlede the crowd at all, not a "hi", Hello," "Thank you," Nothing. Also the sound in the astrodome Blows- it was not made for accoustics, let alone concerts but that is a sound issue, not Dylan's fault. The astrodome stage also rotates and when Lay Lady Lay got played, the tempo was off midway through the song. I'm not sure if a string broke on the telecaster guitar or what but something merely fucked up the song. They should have started over. They did a great job, on Don't think twice, I'll be your baby tonight, High water, Rainy day women sounded pretty good with a western twist, and All along the watchtower was an ultimate highlight. I guess I just was not used to going to a show, where the artist doesn't aknowledge the crowd. Also Lay lady lay can't be captured live the way it was in the studio, His voive is clearly awful on that song, but overall his voice was fine. Like someone said, those not familiar with Dylan or don't like his voice are not going to enjoy the show. I hope to see Bob again, in like a theater type setting. The setlists the thread starter listed seems pretty sick- a great setlist and I bet it was a treat to hear.

I too was at that show..my friends and I were nice and drunk. I was just thrilled to see him and at such an easy price...and then when he came into Houston about a year later I was 30 feet from you at the 2nd show. Hope he comes back soon. I think he puts a great show!
  • I'll be there this wedsnesday in Reading.
    Really looking forward.
    The openers should be good too - Junior Brown and Jimmie Vaughan.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • i dont think that's a valid excuse. that's like saying a given athlete shouldn't be told he sucks if he stops working out eats pizza by the box and gets fat and weak... all just becos once upon a time he was a hall of famer. bob makes his living by his music and you'd think he'd want to take care of it. just becos he's a legend and wrote some of the best music of our time doesnt give him a free pass for letting his voice go to pot and resulting in unimpressive live performances. it's part of why i dont want to see him. his music is so incredible, i dont want to taint that by seeing a performance that is disappointing.
    heheh yeah I know it's not at all an excuse, but it's the truth anyway. And he really is trying! It was clear he was putting the best show he could on. :)

Junior Brown is a fucking treat... pretty great music (better than the other 2 bands) but he was clearly intoxicated in some way... very fun to watch - not just for his possible drunkenness, but he's a very entertaining act !

The first band (name of which i don't recall) that opened the show was great too... 30's swing/jazz quarter.. outstanding!

Jimmy Vaughn was boring and had way too long a set. The whole time I was waiting for Bob and talking to my friends about how great J.B. was.

Also, yes it's the arthritus that keeps him on the keys but I've never heard about back trouble.. wouldn't be surprised.. but he was standing for the whole show anyway (in front of a keyboard of course). I freaked out because one of the guys in his band was fond of the telecaster.. I saw it and flipped thinking Bob would be on guitar.. guess not :p

"Make our day"
    Also, yes it's the arthritus that keeps him on the keys but I've never heard about back trouble.. wouldn't be surprised.. but he was standing for the whole show anyway (in front of a keyboard of course). I freaked out because one of the guys in his band was fond of the telecaster.. I saw it and flipped thinking Bob would be on guitar.. guess not :p[/quote]

Maybe Bob needs to smoke some of the herb he is so famously known for to help with the arthritus. :) It can be used medically.
    On a side note, I enjoyed watching him play guitar both electric and accoustic. Do the songs sound as good on the keys? It seems that he has resorted to playing the same set every night pretty much, maybe it's because they are playing songs that work well with the keys. Does anyone play B3 on Like a rolling stone, or does Bob's key part handle that?
  • red mos wrote:

Maybe Bob needs to smoke some of the herb he is so famously known for to help with the arthritus. It can be used medically.
    Maybe he does...

i dunno, i saw him light up at least 3 cigs.. could've been mistaken :p

I've never heard anything about him cleaning up.. I doubt he's doing anything bad anymore though.. too smart of a guy to stay on amthetamines and all that shit he's supposedly done.. but his albums (esp. in the last 15 years) have been remarkable.. wouldn't be surprised to hear him smoking the hippie lettuce still.

"Make our day"
    I would absolutely love it, if Dylan would bust out Tweeter and the Monkeyman from his Wilbury days. That is hands down one of my faves. I saw Petty two weeks ago, and he plays Handle with care (even though George Harrison, and Roy sang the lead parts on the album). Bob needs to bust out some Wilbury stuff. Tweeter and the Monkey man would rule. I'd also like to hear congradulations, or inside out.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    He's coming to my town in a week and a half and I'm going. :D

I can't wait!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Even though he is hit and miss, I'd say go see him. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. He played the Houston Rodeo, and some left dissapointed and Bob didn't talk at all, but I look at it going I saw one of my fave singers whose a fucking legend to so many people and generations. I'm glad I saw him and I hope to see him again in a smaller theater and different environment. The astrodome sound is terrible, and that is why concerts (when they had them there were like 20 bucks). However I saw Duran duran at rodeo 2001 and their sound was better than Dylan's but it was still very hollow. I am glad I saw Dylan, and given my circumstances (I actually enjoyed the show, but many did not including my mom and dad), I hope to see Dylan again. Now, I can say I saw the greatest songwriter ever. I'd say go see him, you just might regret it when it's too late.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Dylan is like 20 minutes from my house tonight and i can't go.

UGHHHHHH
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    Dylan is like 20 minutes from my house tonight and i can't go.

UGHHHHHH
    GO STAND OUTSIDE AND LISTEN

"Make our day"