ooh ohhh Alabama...

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Favorite song(s) on Harvest? :)
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I agree with your initial selection, but "Old Man" is a close second.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I have to pick one?

Needle or Harvest
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i love the whole album...though "harvest" is my favorite. matt costa did a pretty good cover of it this summer at an in-store performance i saw :) he then played it just for me at a show a couple nights later....aren't i special ;)

anywho...it's amazing that my sister and i used to make fun of my mom for playing this album when we were younger...now it's one of my favorite albums ever!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • mine are...

Harvest
    Alabama
    Needle and the Damage Done

If I had to pick just 3.

"Make our day"
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Harvest
    Out On The Weekend
    Old Man
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Dick Jones wrote:
    Out On The Weekend
    Old Man
    those would round out my top 5 :cool:

"Make our day"
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    HOG and Needle for me. Never cared for Harvest too much. Give me Tonight's The Night, Everybody Knows, Zuma, Rust, or Ragged Glory any day. Even Broken Arrow gets more spins. Love me some Crazy Horse.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    "Well I heard mister Young sing about her
    Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
    Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
    A Southern man don't need him around anyhow"

haha, sorry i couldn't resist, just wanted to see what kind of reaction i'm going to get ;)
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I'd have to say the title track Harvest.... although... I seen a video from '71 of him doing "A man needs a maid" at the BBC and I was shocked how good it was... I never used to care for that song until I heard that live version!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    "And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the
    Bad shit that went down
    "Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth
    But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town
    To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound
    And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit
    And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil
    Rock stars today ain't half as real
    Speaking there minds on how they feel
    Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song
    Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song
    So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record
    But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground
    And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around"

Drive-by Truckers from "Southern Rock Opera"......that's how this Southern man feels..Thank you Patterson Hood for writing this great song.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    tybird wrote:
    "And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the
    Bad shit that went down
    "Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth
    But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town
    To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound
    And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit
    And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil
    Rock stars today ain't half as real
    Speaking there minds on how they feel
    Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song
    Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song
    So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record
    But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground
    And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around"

Drive-by Truckers from "Southern Rock Opera"......that's how this Southern man feels..Thank you Patterson Hood for writing this great song.

great response to the shitty comment i made. ( i wanted to wind up some people in here )

This is a good song. I heard about Drive-by Truckers, they alright.....
    Just wondering are there any other new Southern bands around? that have Lynyrd Skynyrd sound?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    singing WORDS between the lines of age.

Although i do love old man a lot too
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It's gotta be a three-way tie between Out on the Weekend, Old Man, and Heart of Gold. Harvest gets an honorable mention.

I think the London Symphony Orchestra songs just kill that album, though. They don't fit Neil's music at all.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • "Are you ready for the country? Because it's time to go."

Love this song but...

Gotta go with "Heart of Gold" followed by "Harvest" and "Damage Done"

Great album.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
    genie wrote:
    great response to the shitty comment i made. ( i wanted to wind up some people in here )

This is a good song. I heard about Drive-by Truckers, they alright.....
    Just wondering are there any other new Southern bands around? that have Lynyrd Skynyrd sound?
    They're better than alright.........great band. Be on the watch for a couple of threads devoted to them on this forum.

"Needle and the Damage Done" makes it almost a three-way fight for my fave on "Harvest"
  • DOSW wrote:
    It's gotta be a three-way tie between Out on the Weekend, Old Man, and Heart of Gold. Harvest gets an honorable mention.

I think the London Symphony Orchestra songs just kill that album, though. They don't fit Neil's music at all.
    "Man Needs a Maid" is WAY better with just Neil on piano as someone mentioned.

The lynard skinnard thing always pissed me off.. but it's just so damn stereotypical of rednecks.. Neil wrote 'southern man' about a group of hicks he and some members of his band heard planning to beat them up in a diner. Neil called the rest of the band for backup and the guys backed off. Also, as far as the song goes, who the fuck is going to argue with lyrics that speak against the KKK and other people fighting against the civil rights movement?

Those jack-offs lynard skinnard heard the words 'southern man' and the negative words and assumed "HE'S MAKIN' FUN OF THE SOUTH" and responded with the kind of ignorance and complete lack of understanding 'rednecks' are renoun for. Well done lynard skinnard :rolleyes:

How's that for a response? :p

"Make our day"
    The lynard skinnard thing always pissed me off.. but it's just so damn stereotypical of rednecks.. Neil wrote 'southern man' about a group of hicks he and some members of his band heard planning to beat them up in a diner. Neil called the rest of the band for backup and the guys backed off. Also, as far as the song goes, who the fuck is going to argue with lyrics that speak against the KKK and other people fighting against the civil rights movement?

Those jack-offs lynard skinnard heard the words 'southern man' and the negative words and assumed "HE'S MAKIN' FUN OF THE SOUTH" and responded with the kind of ignorance and complete lack of understanding 'rednecks' are renoun for. Well done lynard skinnard :rolleyes:

How's that for a response? :p
    Did you not read my post about the real relationship between Neil and the boys in Skynyrd?? (Read post #12) In other words, you got the whole thing completely back ass-wards. Your reaction was reactionary. :)
  • tybird wrote:
    Did you not read my post about the real relationship between Neil and the boys in Skynyrd?? (Read post #12) In other words, you got the whole thing completely back ass-wards. Your reaction was reactionary. :)
    No I didn't, but I thought it best for you to get the kind of reaction you wanted anyway :p:D

"Make our day"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    "Man Needs a Maid" is WAY better with just Neil on piano as someone mentioned.

The version on the new live album is great. It's been one of my fav cuts of man needs a maid for a long time. It is a combo of man needs a maid and then melts right into heart of gold.

That and the acoustic versions of cowgirl and down by the river are worth the album price :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    No I didn't, but I thought it best for you to get the kind of reaction you wanted anyway :p:D
    I am not a big fan of the negative.