Except for his "little wing" I think SRV is a pretty boring guitar player.

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited June 2007 in Other Music
There I said it.

He's damn good but I just think his style is kind of.. boring. Like post-Cream Clapton.

:-/
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    :shock:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Agreed. He lacked that syncopation and swing that distinguishes a great blues player. His Voodoo Chile sounds as rhythmically flat as a witch's tit.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Sorry, but in my opinion, you're dead wrong. His playing has more soul than maybe anyone since Hendrix. He's better than Clapton, and I like Clapton a lot. He could ease into a solo, or tear into it, and it would always be electrifying.
  • He's got a fuckload of soul. Eddie Van Halen is one that technically is great, but has no emotion or soul to the music- it's like a machine.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    you are as crazy as an out-house rat
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I must agree with Pearl Jam and toast. I respect the man as a guitar player and his place in rock history, but he does nothing for me.

It may be that I actually like his guitar work...I just don't like his songs that much.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    There I said it.

He's damn good but I just think his style is kind of.. boring. Like post-Cream Clapton.

Awwwww shame on you for saying that.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Crazy talk.
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Agreed. He lacked that syncopation and swing that distinguishes a great blues player. His Voodoo Chile sounds as rhythmically flat as a witch's tit.

I too think his Voodoo Chile sucks, but I also think that people should stop trying to cover it. NO ONE will ever approach the greatness that was Jimi's. That is a holy song in my opnion.

However, on the whole I think SRV had swing and syncopation coming out his ass. He is one of my favorite guitar players.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    There I said it.

You're crazy.

But alas, we all like what we like. I think the opinion that he doesn't have 'soul' comes from the fact that he overplays everything at a blistering pace. It's not right or wrong, but I disagree with it. Feel or soul in playing is always lessened when the speed of playing is increased... the great thing about SRV is that he had more soul to his fast playing than anyone I've ever heard, at least.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Sathogwa wrote:

However, on the whole I think SRV had swing and syncopation coming out his ass. He is one of my favorite guitar players.

I'll show ya some syncopation! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdyvPg0c6bI
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Amazing guitar player but average sogwriter.
  • I've heard many versions, over the years. He just doesn't nail it, for me.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Sorry, I disagree. Check out 'Life Without You' from 'In Step', its a live bonus on that CD. Fucking amazing. Lenny? Riveria Paradise?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    There I said it.

He definitely isn't like Rory Gallagher!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • There I said it.

Well, I just CAN'T let you say that !He's an AMAZING guitar player,he's a HUGE infuence for Mike you can't ignore that;You've got to listen all his record They're astonishing !
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Hendrix and SRV are in a different league from everyone else. I wouldn't put any other guitar players in the same ballpark as them. I actually think SRV's Voodoo Chile improved upon Hendrix's. And if SRV's version of Lenny from the Live at Carnegie Hall disc doesn't make your eyes tear up, I don't know what to say.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    I can understand not liking Vaughan's style, but "boring" is not a word I'd ever use to describe his playing. I own one cd of his, and I rarely listen to it, because I really don't like his style of music...but in my mind, he is without a doubt, the most skilled guitar player ever....not the most creative or innovative, but the most skilled technically. I have never heard anyone play that hard, fast, and clean all at the same time. Unreal.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I can see how someone may not like srv's music but i wouldn't use the word boring. Personally when i listen to a song like lenny or tin pan alley, i hear some of the most talented and heartfelt blues work of all time. I don't really like his version of voodo child for the fact that it's a song that needs to be a little heavier and srv never played with mucha distortion at all which i think is a testament to his work. The guy had more rhythm in his hands than any guitarist that i can think of.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    sorry have to disagree

I dont like all his songs, but that dude could play

the solo in "couldnt stand the weather" sums it all up
    unique sound, outrageous playing
  • Get_Right wrote:
    sorry have to disagree

I dont like all his songs, but that dude could play

the solo in "couldnt stand the weather" sums it all up
    unique sound, outrageous playing
    I know the dude can play. He's incredible. I just rarely feel anything when I listen to him. I know it's good but it doesn't click with me. And what's more confusing it that I loooove love love the blues.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"