Tool

CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
edited March 2007 in Other Music
someone on another forum mentioned that all of tool's songs sound the same.

I would like to reply to that poster..

Most of the time when people disagree with me I'm cool with it, i could care less, but not when it comes to disrepecting tool. Even if you don't like the music they put out you HAVE to respect their talent and originality. The play between the bassist and the drummer is so unique, unparralleled. And Maynard and Adam Jones complement that combo perfectly. Say what you will about the songs, just recognize the talent and show some respect for a great band, whether you like the music or not.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How did they disrespect the band by saying that?
  • MansMans Posts: 57
    How did they disrespect the band by saying that?

They disrespected the band by saying what they said. NOne of Tool's songs sound the same. Tool is one of the best bands in the whole world!!!
    It's On The Inside And I Can't Get It Off.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if someone thinks all tool songs sound the same then they aren't paying attention to the music. tool are one of the best, most interesting, unique bands on the planet. but you really do need to open your ears, take the time and listen.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Arctangent wrote:
    everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if someone thinks all tool songs sound the same then they aren't paying attention to the music. tool are one of the best, most interesting, unique bands on the planet. but you really do need to open your ears, take the time and listen.

amen
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    geeez!! what do they want the band to do?? Have every one of their songs sound COMPLETELY and unrealistically different??? I absolutely agree with all of the above posts-Tool are up there as one of my favorite bands of ALL time-and whoever said all their songs sound the same must be deaf. I will say its the same TYPE of music...but i think in all reality, it is impossible to have every song sound the same.

Except maybe if you're Tom Jones :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • I haven't listened much to Tool but I do like a few of their songs. Have they written any straight punk songs (fast drums, vocals) or stuff with acoustic guitars? Bands like Soundagrden, Pearl Jam have, but to date I havent any of this stuff from Tool.
  • yes, some of their music does sound somewhat the same.

Wait a minute....is this not true for every band?

Lets face it, bands develope a style within its genre, and so, yes, music is going to sound somewhat the same...a bands music attracts listenners...a bands 'sound' is what attracts fans...a band's (like tool and PJ) lyrical depth is what creates greatness...a bands ability to continue to create meaningfull music with a unique sound is what creates leagandary (tool, beatles, PJ, Beck, etc)
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    their song "maynard's dick" uses an acoustic, is in standard tuning and has the same chord progression as PJ's alive
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    hodge wrote:
    their song "maynard's dick" uses an acoustic, is in standard tuning and has the same chord progression as PJ's alive
    ??? what albums that off? Aenema?

Hes such a seedy bugger :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    I haven't listened much to Tool but I do like a few of their songs. Have they written any straight punk songs (fast drums, vocals) or stuff with acoustic guitars? Bands like Soundagrden, Pearl Jam have, but to date I havent any of this stuff from Tool.

but why should they write songs like that? they write songs as tool. listen and you will find their songs are different enough from each other. as straight punk song from tool would be ridiculous.

and maynards dick is the hidden track on the cd that comes with salival.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Commy wrote:
    someone on another forum mentioned that all of tool's songs sound the same.

I would like to reply to that poster..

Most of the time when people disagree with me I'm cool with it, i could care less, but not when it comes to disrepecting tool. Even if you don't like the music they put out you HAVE to respect their talent and originality. The play between the bassist and the drummer is so unique, unparralleled. And Maynard and Adam Jones complement that combo perfectly. Say what you will about the songs, just recognize the talent and show some respect for a great band, whether you like the music or not.

Tool is a band I've been trying to force myself to like for the longest time now because all my friends love them so much but I just can't, just like NIN I can't get into them, yes they are amazing musicians but have you seen them live? They are the worst live band I've ever seen, they sound exactly like the record but they just stand there and never move or talk to the crowd. You are not gonna convince me that all their songs don't sound the same because they do, I was a huge fan during Anima but 10,000 days sucks and it sounds like a repeat of the last album they put out. Amazing musicians, Dana Carey is one of the best drummers but I could just never get into bands that continue to put out the same record over and over again, just my 2 cents.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think there are riffs and songs on 10,000 days that are quite similar to older riffs used in other songs.

The drumming is always top notch.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    TheGossman wrote:
    They are the worst live band I've ever seen, they sound exactly like the record but they just stand there and never move or talk to the crowd.

tool are just about the best live band i have ever seen. they are incredible. yes, they just stand there and play but its the quality of their songs and their stage show makes it so good.

and 10,000 days sounds nothing like lateralus. lateralus was slightly over-produced to me, whereas 10,000 days is much looser and more natural. there is nothing on lateralus like wings for marie/10,000 days and there is nothing on 10.000 days like ticks and leeches.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Mans wrote:
    They disrespected the band by saying what they said. NOne of Tool's songs sound the same. Tool is one of the best bands in the whole world!!!
    I love Tool and definately don't think their songs sound the same. Having said that, 10,000 Days sounds like a bunch of B-Sides from Aenma. Just my opinion.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I love Tool. For all the reasons stated above and more besides. :)

It doesn't bother me if other people don't. Their choice. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    I like Tool. I have seen them in concert 3 times, but I also think some of their music sounds the same. I think that is true for all bands. Does that mean I am disrespecting them....not at all. They have a unique sound and are a great band.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I want what I want, I want what I want...............:)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I agree with everyone saying that every band ends up making a lot of songs that sound similar. The claim that "all the songs sound the same" very often come from people who are not too familiar with a band's full body of work... people tell me all the time that all the PJ songs sound the same.

I love Tool and think their music is unbelievable, but IMO, their sound hasn't developed much over the years. But then again, I am not a hardcore Tool fan and could just be speaking from my exclusive exposure to the last three albums. I've been meaning to get their earlier material but have had trouble locating any friends with the music.

Saw them live last summer and their show rattled my chest it rocked so hard.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I love Tool and frankly I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks. people might think they are overrated, samey or whatever, but very few bands have ever affected me like they have. I can listen to Third Eye for the hundredth time and it will still blow my mind, likewise for Lateralus.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Arctangent wrote:
    tool are just about the best live band i have ever seen. they are incredible. yes, they just stand there and play but its the quality of their songs and their stage show makes it so good.

and 10,000 days sounds nothing like lateralus. lateralus was slightly over-produced to me, whereas 10,000 days is much looser and more natural. there is nothing on lateralus like wings for marie/10,000 days and there is nothing on 10.000 days like ticks and leeches.

yes they sound amazing live, but I just can't get into it unless the musicians are into it, so they just really bored the hell out of me, plus the stage was so dark you could barely see anything, they are amazing musicians, they have there own sound, I have tried and tried to get into them but I just can't, metal has always been boring to me (except SOAD), I will be the first to tell you how good their first 3 records were but as far as anything after Anema I don't care for it
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    TheGossman wrote:
    yes they sound amazing live, but I just can't get into it unless the musicians are into it, so they just really bored the hell out of me, plus the stage was so dark you could barely see anything, they are amazing musicians, they have there own sound, I have tried and tried to get into them but I just can't, metal has always been boring to me (except SOAD), I will be the first to tell you how good their first 3 records were but as far as anything after Anema I don't care for it
    I know a bunch of people who feel the same but I can't understand it. I absolutely love Lateralus. I think it's the best album of the new millenium, but I know people who only like the earlier, less complex stuff. dont get me wrong, I love undertow and I think Aenima is one of the best albums ever made but Lateralus is just peerless to me.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I've listened to a few songs when they come on the radio and I just don't hear what you guys hear. Which is fine. Everybody has their own tastes but it's just not my bag.

BTW since I was a kid I've always used the word tool to describe an idiot or dolt or jerk. I always laugh to myself when I see or hear the band's name. "buch of Tools" :)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    all i know is they freaking rocked the only time i attended a TOOL show .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Never really was a fan, or saw what the big deal was.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Doesn't the guitarist play mainly in D major or summin like that? I was told by a really big Tool fan that Adam Jones plays mainly in a certain key... and I mean, you can definitely tell because some songs do sound similar, yes, but meh, whatev... Tool rocks - 10,000 Days :-D
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I haven't listened much to Tool but I do like a few of their songs. Have they written any straight punk songs (fast drums, vocals) or stuff with acoustic guitars? Bands like Soundagrden, Pearl Jam have, but to date I havent any of this stuff from Tool.

Check out the Opiate EP for their hardest songs. As for acoustic guitars, they only have one song with one, and it's Maynard's Dick on Salival. It also dates back to the Opiate era.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • TheGossman wrote:
    I saw them live this tour, and I never saw a band so into their performance. It made Pearl Jam's show look apathetic by comparison. Maynard was so animated, and he seemed inhuman. The stage was very well-lit, as well as the lights, lasers, and visuals.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
    I saw them live this tour, and I never saw a band so into their performance. It made Pearl Jam's show look apathetic by comparison. Maynard was so animated, and he seemed inhuman. The stage was very well-lit, as well as the lights, lasers, and visuals.

are you crazy? how can you compare the 2? Yes Maynard definatley gets into the music if you can fuckin see him on that dark stage in the very back of it, but the other musicians look like statues, Pearl Jam kicks tool's ass live, I'm sorry but that was just a mochery, no comparison