REM European tour dates announced

ScotInAmsterdamScotInAmsterdam Posts: 1,004
edited February 2008 in Other Music
http://www.nme.com/news/rem/34252

I'm thinking of Going to the Amsterdam one.. I've not been into them for years(Since about Monster)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    bollocks... no scottish dates :(

and only that one London one in March??? maybe they'll announce more?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Great! Movin´to Stuttgart next month!
  • Maybe they'll announce more. I'm struggling to find ticket data on the ones they have posted. Comparing the dates and looking at the calendar its a 20 date european tour accross 4 months so there's plenty oppurtunity for more dates - or maybe they just want a holiday in Europe, or they're just getting old.

I saw them at Murrayfield in 95(Amazing gig), and Stirling about 98/99(A bit iffy in my opinion), but Westerpark is a 10 minute walk from my houe, so I'll probably go.
    WHat´s not so great are those ticket prices! 100€ for a plain standing ticket?

PJ was 60€ !?

Wow!
  • Where are you getting the ticket prices from? The Dutch ticketmaster site doesn't have the gig up yet.

If it's $100 a ticket I'll have to think twice. That's just greed. This is getting annoying. Neil Young is charging about $140 for his concerts next week. I'd rather see 10 bands in a small venue.
    Where are you getting the ticket prices from? THe dutch ticketmaster site doesn't have the gig up yet.

If it's $100 a ticket I'll have to think twice. That's just greed. This is getting annoying. Neil Young is charging about $140 for his concerts next week. I'd rather see 10 bands in a small venue.

Here is the link for the German tourdates:

http://www.ticket-and-more.com/index.php/cat/c8286_R-E-M--Tickets-und-Eintrittskarten.html?gclid=CLjo34OsvJECFQryXgodbF-fDw

And it´s more like U$150 !!!
    Maybe they'll announce more. I'm struggling to find ticket data on the ones they have posted. Comparing the dates and looking at the calendar its a 20 date european tour accross 4 months so there's plenty oppurtunity for more dates - or maybe they just want a holiday in Europe, or they're just getting old.

I saw them at Murrayfield in 95(Amazing gig), and Stirling about 98/99(A bit iffy in my opinion), but Westerpark is a 10 minute walk from my houe, so I'll probably go.

i saw them at Huddersfield back in 19fufvnd ... cant remember.. but it was for the Monster tour also.. Oasis were meant to be supporting and cancelled so Beautiful South did it instead.

it was a good gig if i remember.. and i was a goose-pimpled wreck when they did Country Feedback :o

i just found the original setlist :cool:

1. I Took Your Name
    2. What´s The Frequency, Kenneth?
    3. Crush With Eyeliner
    4. Orange Crush
    5. Circus Envy
    6. Try Not To Breathe
    7. Bang And Blame
    8. Undertow
    9. Welcome To The Occupation
    10. Strange Currencies
    11. Revolution
    12. Tongue
    13. Man On The Moon

CD 2:
    1. Country Feedback
    2. Half A World Away
    3. Losing My Religion
    4. Pop Song ´89
    5. Finest Worksong
    6. Get Up
    7. Star 69
    8. Let Me In
    9. Everybody Hurts
    10. Fall On Me
    11. Departure
    12. It´s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fina)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    It says on their website to stay tuned for more dates, particularly some festival dates and UK shows. So fret ye not Dunk. :p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    dunkman wrote:
    i saw them at Huddersfield back in 19fufvnd ... cant remember.. but it was for the Monster tour also.. Oasis were meant to be supporting and cancelled so Beautiful South did it instead.

it was a good gig if i remember.. and i was a goose-pimpled wreck when they did Country Feedback :o

i just found the original setlist :cool:

1. I Took Your Name
    2. What´s The Frequency, Kenneth?
    3. Crush With Eyeliner
    4. Orange Crush
    5. Circus Envy
    6. Try Not To Breathe
    7. Bang And Blame
    8. Undertow
    9. Welcome To The Occupation
    10. Strange Currencies
    11. Revolution
    12. Tongue
    13. Man On The Moon

CD 2:
    1. Country Feedback
    2. Half A World Away
    3. Losing My Religion
    4. Pop Song ´89
    5. Finest Worksong
    6. Get Up
    7. Star 69
    8. Let Me In
    9. Everybody Hurts
    10. Fall On Me
    11. Departure
    12. It´s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fina)

HOLY. CRAP!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

audiodave wrote:
    HOLY. CRAP!

i know!!! it was great!

in fact i'm gonna try and track down a copy of that bootleg for nostalgic purposes :)
    dunkman wrote:
    i know!!! it was great!

in fact i'm gonna try and track down a copy of that bootleg for nostalgic purposes :)

I really wish I could have seen them in the late 80's/early 90's era, but alas...I was but a wee'un. I have recently fallen in love with Document and Out Of Time.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• I saw this gig:

27 July 1995 - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, Scotland
    support: Belly, Spearhead, The Cranberries
    soundcheck: Talk About The Passion / Orange Crush / Unknown Instrumental / See No Evil
    set: What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / Turn You Inside-Out / Try Not To Breathe / I Took Your Name / Undertow / Bang And Blame / I Don't Sleep, I Dream / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Half A World Away / Losing My Religion / Pop Song 89 / Finest Worksong / Get Up / Star 69
    encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / So. Central Rain / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Are any of the albums after Monster worth listening to? I'm really not sure they are worth 100 euros. I've not listened to them since I can't remembr when.

Are any of the albums after Monster worth listening to? I'm really not sure they are worth 100 euros. I've not listened to them since I can't remembr when.

I love Up and Around The Sun...though most don't. New Adventures In Hifi is very highly regarded, and is an awesome album. By the look of it you've heard a lot of it live anyway.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    I love Up and Around The Sun...though most don't. New Adventures In Hifi is very highly regarded, and is an awesome album. By the look of it you've heard a lot of it live anyway.

The second gig I saw was this:

20 July 1999 - Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland
    support: Stereolab
    set: Lotus / Wake-Up Bomb / So Fast, So Numb / Fall On Me / Suspicion / Daysleeper / How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us / Driver 8 / Sweetness Follows / The One I Love / E-bow The Letter / The Great Beyond / Losing My Religion / At My Most Beautiful / Pretty Persuasion / Star 69 / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
    encore: Falls To Climb / Why Not Smile / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Tongue / Cuyahoga / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

I thought they'd lost a lot of the energy that they had 4 years before, but then again I was older, had seen more concerts and was less impressionable. I'll check out some of the newer albums and see what I think.
    The second gig I saw was this:

20 July 1999 - Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland
    support: Stereolab
    set: Lotus / Wake-Up Bomb / So Fast, So Numb / Fall On Me / Suspicion / Daysleeper / How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us / Driver 8 / Sweetness Follows / The One I Love / E-bow The Letter / The Great Beyond / Losing My Religion / At My Most Beautiful / Pretty Persuasion / Star 69 / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
    encore: Falls To Climb / Why Not Smile / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Tongue / Cuyahoga / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

I thought they'd lost a lot of the energy that they had 4 years before, but then again I was older, had seen more concerts and was less impressionable. I'll check out some of the newer albums and see what I think.

That's a very Up/New Advntures In Hifi heavy set. I would have LOVED to see that show. The songs come accross better live, I think. Up is very sombre, and a lot of New Adventures was recorded live or from soundchecks.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    New Adventures was recorded live or from soundchecks.

See this is why I didn't think much of it, it was pieced togetehr from various bits and pieces, so doesn't have the flow of lots of people thrashing it out over a period of time in a studio, plus Bill Berry had left and the future was uncertain. I kind of gave up on them with that album, but I'll get on the googles and see if I can come to a more mature decision....
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    http://www.nme.com/news/rem/34252

I'm thinking of Going to the Amsterdam one.. I've not been into them for years(Since about Monster)

Nice!! I hope they also tour South America.
    Otherwise I might just be tempted to fly off somewhere to see them
    (not good for my finances)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • See this is why I didn't think much of it, it was pieced togetehr from various bits and pieces, so doesn't have the flow of lots of people thrashing it out over a period of time in a studio, plus Bill Berry had left and the future was uncertain. I kind of gave up on them with that album, but I'll get on the googles and see if I can come to a more mature decision....

I thought Bill Berry left just after New Adventures?
    I thought the flow of the album was pretty great; its easily my favourite REM album, with Around the Sun a close second.

I hope tickets prices aren't that expensive for the Uk dates; 100 Euros for a single standing ticket?? That's ridiculous.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."