Why did AIC ever split up?

edited April 2007 in Other Music
The other day I realised I have no idea why. I was very young at the time.. and now I wonder why didn't they play together closer to the time Layne passed away...
Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it's tough to write new material while in a heroin induced comatose state.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • what I wonder is, Why did Mike Starr split?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    Starr looked at his picture in the liner notes of Facelift and realized that he wears rainbow cotton stretch pants, so he resigned himself to the fact that he was too much of a dweeb to be in band.
  • it's tough to write new material while in a heroin induced comatose state.

don't be an asshole.

SIGH.

besides, Jerry Cantrell wrote most of AIC's music/lyrics.

and AIC never really broke up they just didn't perfomr much live and didnt record many new songs (and certainly didnt have any new albums) for a stretch of time leading up to Layne Staley's passing. Mike Starr left the band after having a few personal difficulties...but his departure did not break AIC up.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Starr left so Inez could join and serve as a catalyst for some of Jerry and Layne's strongest writing on the Last Action Hero Soundtrack, Jar of Flies and Tripod.
  • The Vacant wrote:
    Starr left so Inez could join and serve as a catalyst for some of Jerry and Layne's strongest writing on the Last Action Hero Soundtrack, Jar of Flies and Tripod.

really?

Inez is extremly bad ass on the Last Action Hero soundtract and everything he does
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    really?

Inez is extremly bad ass on the Last Action Hero soundtract and everything he does

No, not at all. It's just a coincidence that things worked out that way. When Starr left, someone from the band's camp called up Ozzy's camp to see if Inez was available. The AIC guys were impressed with Inez when they opened for Ozzy. Since Ozzy was off the road, Inez took them up on their offer to jam. The initial jams together laid the groundwork for the two Last Action Hero tunes and Jar of Flies. From there it was the Lollapalooza tour in '93 and the rest is history.

Inez is a much better player than Starr anyday. Throw in the natural chemistry he has with Cantrell and Kinney and it doesn't take much to realize those three were born to play together.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    The other day I realised I have no idea why. I was very young at the time.. and now I wonder why didn't they play together closer to the time Layne passed away...
    They never really split up as far as I know, but Layne became very secluded (I think near the end he became some sort of a hermit). If you saw Unplugged, 6 years before he died, you could tell he was struggling - even though he did an amazing job. The drugs just fucked it all up :(
  • don't be an asshole.

SIGH.

besides, Jerry Cantrell wrote most of AIC's music/lyrics.

and AIC never really broke up they just didn't perfomr much live and didnt record many new songs (and certainly didnt have any new albums) for a stretch of time leading up to Layne Staley's passing. Mike Starr left the band after having a few personal difficulties...but his departure did not break AIC up.
    no really i wasn't trying to be an asshole it really is difficult to write or perform in a heroin induced comatose state.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • DeadermanDeaderman Posts: 49
    Layne just tired of the music industry. Plus, Nona freaked him the hell out..lol.
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • pjambamapjambama Posts: 126
    arm dope
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Deaderman wrote:
    Layne just tired of the music industry.

tied of the music industry? heroin makes you tired of life.
  • Deaderman wrote:
    Layne just tired of the music industry. Plus, Nona freaked him the hell out..lol.

I take Nona to be the heroin..?
    Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I take Nona to be the heroin..?
    Nona of the Nona Tapes.
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    layne's addiction...and it wasn't really them splitting up, but more of a fading away...
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    uuuummmmm SMACK
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all