The Shins

AbookamongstthemanyAbookamongstthemany Posts: 8,209
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I have fallen head over heels in love with this band in the past two months. Their sound is amazing like the warm rush of energy washing over you...so melodic. They put me in a good mood everytime I pop their cds in. The vocals are beautiful. The lyrics are top notch. They have a very diverse song book. I immediately bought all 3 albums, Oh Inverted World on vinyl and the Phantom Limb single.

Has anyone here seen them live? What's their shows like? What are the crowds like? What's your favorite song/album?
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
-Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have fallen head over heels in love with this band in the past two months. Their sound is amazing like the warm rush of energy washing over you...so melodic. They put me in a good mood everytime I pop their cds in. The vocals are beautiful. The lyrics are top notch. They have a very diverse song book. I immediately bought all 3 albums, Oh Inverted World on vinyl and the Phantom Limb single.

Has anyone here seen them live? What's their shows like? What are the crowds like? What's your favorite song/album?

saw them a few years ago. great live band. i saw them at bowery ballroom in new york city. it was very intimate, before wincing came out. they played a ton of songs and had great energy and the crowd was very into it. it was a long time ago so i dont rememeber in great detail what was played, but i think they played just about all of their first 2 albums then some other "new" songs, which eventually ended up on wincing. definitely see them live.

my fave record of theirs is oh, inverted world btw.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I love the Shins.

I have not seen them live, yet.

My favorite songs are 'Sleeping Lessons' and 'Caring is Creepy', although I could listen to anyone of their albums all the way through and enjoy it.

I am a huge fan of 'Wincing the Night Away' but most Shins fans will insist that 'Chutes to Narrow' is their best.

I am glad you like them!
    Cock Fight.
  • saw them a few years ago. great live band. i saw them at bowery ballroom in new york city. it was very intimate, before wincing came out. they played a ton of songs and had great energy and the crowd was very into it. it was a long time ago so i dont rememeber in great detail what was played, but i think they played just about all of their first 2 albums then some other "new" songs, which eventually ended up on wincing. definitely see them live.

my fave record of theirs is oh, inverted world btw.

My favorite songs are off of Inverted World and Wincing but I like Chutes Too Narrow the most as an overall piece of work. It is so diverse that it reminds me of No Code...something for everyone on it.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I'm a fan. I always find myself getting really into them for a few months at a time and then going the next few months without listening to them, I guess I have to be in the right mood to enjoy them.

I think all three of their LPs are really, really good. "Chutes Too Narrow" is one of the most consistent albums I own, start to finish there is no weakness on that album, if you like the first song you will like the rest of them. "Oh, Inverted World" and "Wincing...." are very similar IMO, they both have some absolutely fantastic singles("Girl Inform Me" is probably my favorite track of theirs), but they also have some missteps.

If I were ranking the albums it would go like this:
    1. Oh, Inverted World,
    2. Chutes Too Narrow
    3. Wincing The Night Away

The handful of flat-out amazing tracks on Oh, Inverted World make it my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of the 3.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    I love the Shins.

I have not seen them live, yet.

My favorite songs are 'Sleeping Lessons' and 'Caring is Creepy', although I could listen to anyone of their albums all the way through and enjoy it.

I am a huge fan of 'Wincing the Night Away' but most Shins fans will insist that 'Chutes to Narrow' is their best.

I am glad you like them!

Hey Tek, girl! Haven't seen you in ages. :)

I like Australia and the two you mentioned plus New Slang(classic), Saint Simon, Split Needles, Nothing At All, Know Your Onion, Pink Bullets, So Says I and Phantom Limb the best....but they are all so good. I really can't think of a song I dislike much.

I hope they tour sometime soon. I really dig their kind of music live.

-Oscar Wilde
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I'm a fan. I always find myself getting really into them for a few months at a time and then going the next few months without listening to them, I guess I have to be in the right mood to enjoy them.

I think all three of their LPs are really, really good. "Chutes Too Narrow" is one of the most consistent albums I own, start to finish there is no weakness on that album, if you like the first song you will like the rest of them. "Oh, Inverted World" and "Wincing...." are very similar IMO, they both have some absolutely fantastic singles("Girl Inform Me" is probably my favorite track of theirs), but they also have some missteps.

If I were ranking the albums it would go like this:
    1. Oh, Inverted World,
    2. Chutes Too Narrow
    3. Wincing The Night Away

The handful of flat-out amazing tracks on Oh, Inverted World make it my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

I have been so into listening to them lately, I have completely neglected the new Radiohead. That's odd for me. I keep finding myself wanting to put them in over and over again. I'm weird like that...I'll listen to a piece of music or group until I run it into the ground, sprinkled with other music inbetween here and there then I'll move on to my next obsession.

Yeah, I forgot about Girl Inform Me earlier....it is a great song.

-Oscar Wilde
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I love Phantom Limb.. I need to check out their other stuff.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    My favorite songs are off of Inverted World and Wincing but I like Chutes Too Narrow the most as an overall piece of work. It is so diverse that it reminds me of No Code...something for everyone on it.

Hahaha. I came into this thread to post the same thing!

They are a truly original band and one of the highlights of this decade of music. You really can't go wrong with any of their music, it's all beautiful.

Top 5 songs for me right now

1. Pressed in a Book
    2. Young Pilgrims
    3. We Will Become Silhouettes (Postal Service cover)
    4. Know Your Onion!
    5. Sea Legs
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    sea legs has a really fun bassline
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I love Phantom Limb.. I need to check out their other stuff.

I love that song too but didnt love their newest record. I reserved some of their other ones from the library so I can check the rest out.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i haven't listened to them in a while....didn't care for the newest album too much....i loved chutes too narrow and remember them being great live
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786

They've become one of my favorite bands over the past few years. James's voice is as good as they come. I really enjoy them live. They have been criticized here and elsewhere for being boring, but I don't agree. Really cool energy, and they always sound fantastic. I saw them three times on their Wincing tours. The first couple of times, they hadn't figured out how to do Sea Legs (my favorite track off of Wincing) live. The last time, they did it. Sounded a bit different, but still great to hear. Actually, my favorite song for them to do live is Sleeping Lessons because it is when James becomes the most animated.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I love The Shins so much. I want to marry them and have their baby. :D

I saw them live in December last year. They sounded perfect live. It was pretty much all music...not a lot of chat or banter. The crowd was pretty mellow, but still really fun, and I'm not sure if the venue was 21 and older, but there were not a lot of younger folks. I mean late teens, early 20's. I am in my 40's, so I tend to notice the age of the crowd because I usually feel old!

I met a PJ fan from Wyoming (or maybe Montana?) while we were milling around before the concert started. I thought that was really a fun coincidence.

I love the whole disc "Chutes Too Narrow", but my fav song is probably "Turn a Square".
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I want to see this band live so badly. They didn't come here on the last tour and I was hoping they'd be added to Bonnaroo, but that doesn't look like it's happening either.

Here is a bootleg of The Shins in Amsterdam, circa 2007:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PPHAUKQG
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • gleemonex wrote:
    I want to see this band live so badly. They didn't come here on the last tour and I was hoping they'd be added to Bonnaroo, but that doesn't look like it's happening either.

Here is a bootleg of The Shins in Amsterdam, circa 2007:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PPHAUKQG

Cool, thanks :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Poor live act.
    As someone earlier said no banter/chat/song interaction and nothing special about the arrangements of the songs (basically they stick to the album versions), didn't play for very long either. The whole thing felt very distant and uninvolved.

Good albums though.