R.e.m.

capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
edited December 2005 in Other Music
are a good band. Ithink they may be the most well liked band around... Who actually hates R.E.M.? it's pretty damn hard.
everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah I don't think anyone dislikes REM! how could you...theyve got some cool lyrics and catchy tunes.
    I like Shiny Happy People, Orange Crush and the Great Beyond
    Wave came crashing...
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Don't love them but they've had a few catchy tunes in their day
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • i love R.E.M.
  • I got Fables Of The Reconstruction the other day.
  • i hate em. they're sissies.
  • well, why don't you go home and torture some kittens then :(
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • Cannabis wrote:
    i hate em. they're sissies.

Thats some brilliant commentary right there.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    I'm not much into REM anymore. The only song I fucking hate is "shiny happy people"
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • MoshMosh Posts: 10
    Not sure how relevant their new music is, but they have a wealth of excellent material in their catelouge. Very few bands have put out as much good music.
  • I got Fables Of The Reconstruction the other day.

Feeling Gravity's Pull, Driver 8, Life and How to Live It, Auctioneer

GOOD STUFF! GOOD STUFF!

I MISS "OLD" CHANGLY REM - Chronic Town - Life's Rich Pageant. Hard to believe that they now ignore these songs live. I saw the Life's Rich Pageant tour - frickin amazing!!
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Nobody is a bigger R.E.M. fan than I am on this board. I will challenge anyone. BTW, PJ is pretty damn good too!! ;)
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    Nobody is a bigger R.E.M. fan than I am on this board. I will challenge anyone. BTW, PJ is pretty damn good too!! ;)

sadprofessor and a few others might have something to say about that.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    rhinomagic wrote:
    sadprofessor and a few others might have something to say about that.

It's all relative. I may have 50 REM CDs, but that doesn't make me any more a fan than the guy with only a few of them.

Leave is their greatest achievement.
  • OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    yeah R.E.M is awesome.i only own Automatic for the people but i thought that was a pretty impressive album.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • creeds better
  • R.E.M is pretty good. My favourite song by them would probably be 'The One I Love'.
  • Normally I would be totally up for a "Who's the biggest REM fan" pissing contest but unfortunately I still have some finals, and just don't have enough time for the message board at the moment.

hehe.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Cannabis wrote:
    creeds better

oh boooooo
    thats an aweful thing to say
    r.e.m is ok they have some realy good songs
    ...more then anyone can say for creed
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • oh boooooo

r.e.m is ok they have some realy good songs
    ...more then anyone can say for creed

Nah its more than anyone can say for actually the majority of bands, and yes REM's catalogue is better than pearl jams.
  • I love New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Document is good too. They used to be my favorite band, now theyre like #7. But they are still pretty sweet. And Michael Stipe is probably the only person to have banged both Natalie Merchant and River Phoenix.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • New Adventures in HI-Fi is simply breathtaking. I truly believe it's one of the greatest albums ever released by any band.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    New Adventures in HI-Fi is simply breathtaking. I truly believe it's one of the greatest albums ever released by any band.

I agree with ya....they played many of the songs on tour in 1995 before the album was released.....that gave a lot of meaning to me since I heard them live first!
  • New Adventures in HI-Fi is simply breathtaking. I truly believe it's one of the greatest albums ever released by any band.

I'll agree with that. NAIHF is easily in my top 5 albums ever. The way that album was written and recorded is just so unique, not many bands could have even attempted something like that, much less been that successful.

REM's catalogue is really just stunning when you think about it. I can't think of too many bands in recent years with the number of absolutely classic albums that REM has. They get a lot of respect, but honestly I don't think they get as much credit as they really deserve. I think their last couple of records have kind of diminished the light in which a lot of people see them, and it really shouldn't.
  • I'll agree with that. NAIHF is easily in my top 5 albums ever. The way that album was written and recorded is just so unique, not many bands could have even attempted something like that, much less been that successful.

REM's catalogue is really just stunning when you think about it. I can't think of too many bands in recent years with the number of absolutely classic albums that REM has. They get a lot of respect, but honestly I don't think they get as much credit as they really deserve. I think their last couple of records have kind of diminished the light in which a lot of people see them, and it really shouldn't.

Agreed. Most people ripped Around The Sun apart yet i really like it. Tracks 1-6 are as good as anything REM has done in the past. I saw them in June and i had the time of my life, there was so much energy between the band and the crowd (which was pretty huge!!)

But yeah, i'm all about the respect for REM!!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."