Album Cover Art -- Places You've Seen in Person...

dirtdirt Posts: 398
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Last week I was in Toronto visiting a friend of mine and had a weird feeling of something like deja vu when we were out and about. In particular, we were down by Queen' Park and I saw a big old building used by the government (I think)...it looked really familiar and I had not been there before. My friend said that it was used for the cover of Rush's Moving Pictures album from way back. A classic for sure. Those three arches are unforgettble to me, I guess.

So thinking about it a little more -- name some of the places you've been in person that have been featured on album covers. Any you've visited intentionally because you've liked the album so much?

Mine:

Rush - Moving Pictures (Queen's Park Building)
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (neighborhood building in Manhatten)

I am sure I can think of more...need to look at my collection a little more...
drive less - RIDE MORE!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Every time I go into London I pass the Battersea power station - the cover of Pink Floyd's 'Animals'. Never seen a pig flying over it though...
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    pdh1978 wrote:
    Every time I go into London I pass the Battersea power station - the cover of Pink Floyd's 'Animals'. Never seen a pig flying over it though...

Nice. That one is also etched in my head...but never been there.

One more comes to mind -- I have seen the Marina City towers many, many times over again. Those are the buildings on Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I go past a few of the landmarks weekly from the Local H - As Good As Dead booklet.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" cover is of the condo building I see it everyday in Chicago.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • dirt wrote:
    Last week I was in Toronto visiting a friend of mine and had a weird feeling of something like deja vu when we were out and about. In particular, we were down by Queen' Park and I saw a big old building used by the government (I think)...it looked really familiar and I had not been there before. My friend said that it was used for the cover of Rush's Moving Pictures album from way back. A classic for sure. Those three arches are unforgettble to me, I guess.

So thinking about it a little more -- name some of the places you've been in person that have been featured on album covers. Any you've visited intentionally because you've liked the album so much?

Mine:

Rush - Moving Pictures (Queen's Park Building)
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (neighborhood building in Manhatten)

I am sure I can think of more...need to look at my collection a little more...

I was just thinking of this topic.

Just wondering if anyone else had sat on the step of the Physical graffiti building in St Marks on East 8th St??

Makes a class photo.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" cover is of the condo building I see it everyday in Chicago.

I was about to say this. I tried taking a photo of the Corn Cobs the exact same way as that album cover but can never get the exact angle.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    pdh1978 wrote:
    I lived for 4 years with a splendid view of it!
    still pass it on a regular basis.. like in 20mn on the way home :)
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Took the bus by Abbey Road when I was in England.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • I thought I swum in the swimming pool where the Nevermind baby swims in:p

hehe sorry... I have to quit with these horrible jokes
    -_-'
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    U2 Joshua Tree - Death Valley
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I live on the planet that is on the cover of Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I live on the planet that is on the cover of Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
    :D

I was born in Leamington Spa where the cover of Moseley Shoals by Ocean Colour Scene is taken. they chose a very random location in the local park.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker

I live near DC so the Washington Monument is a pretty common sight.