Options

Keith Richards has Operation

nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
edited May 2006 in Other Music
LONDON (AP) _ Keith Richards had surgery Monday in New Zealand to relieve pressure in his head following a fall, his representative said.

The Rolling Stones guitarist was "up and talking" soon after surgery at The Ascot Hospital in Auckland, but was expected to take several weeks to recuperate, LD Communications said Monday in a statement issued in London.

"Last week Keith was under observation in Auckland following a fall in Fiji and was feeling well after being examined by doctors last week," the statement said. "However after complaining of headaches yesterday, doctors thought it prudent to move ahead with a small operation to remove the pressure."

The Stones' "A Bigger Bang European" tour, which was scheduled to start in Barcelona, Spain, later this month, will be postponed until June, the agency said.

Richards, 62, suffered the injury April 27, but details have not been confirmed. News reports have variously claimed that he fell out of a palm tree or from a jet ski.
EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    get well soon Keith!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I love the Stones but I had to laugh when I heard he had fallen from a palm tree :D Obviously not in a nasty way you understand but what was he doing up a palm tree in the first place?!!

Anyway I hope he gets better soon. He needs to get back up on stage and rocking out :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    A 65 year old rock god falls from a tree. Sorry I can't help but smile.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    There's some question about how he got hurt, but the palm tree story is better for rock legend...

Let's hope for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    A 65 year old rock god falls from a tree. Sorry I can't help but smile.

Least it's not just me then :D

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    There's some question about how he got hurt, but the palm tree story is better for rock legend...

Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

What are the other explanations?

He went wrestling with an elephant?
  • Options
    Something about a jet ski from the first post. I only heard the palm tree explanation. That's what was said on the BBC

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Something about a jet ski from the first post. I only heard the palm tree explanation. That's what was said on the BBC

Same here.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    i am as big a stones fan as you will find....and yes...Keith in a tree picking coconuts is funny.

The truth is that he was up there picking coconuts to make fresh pina coladas (with Ronnie Wood). Apparently this is common in Fiji. He fell and injured himself, needed brain surgery and future with the band is in doubt. The marketing team from the band is downplaying it, but I assure you, it is serious.

It's Ok to laugh about what happened, because it is a funny mental image....get well Keef!!!!
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    I had no idea it was that serious.

Q: Can the Stones be the Stones without Keith? I know they've had personnel changes before, but this one would be a bit much. It's like the Who without Pete.

This update from People Magazine:

Various news reports have said that Richards fell from a coconut tree, a Jet Ski or a combination of the two.

A combination of the two? That would be an interesting trick even for Keith...
  • Options
    check this link out: http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm553.showMessage?topicID=7.topic

The Stones could replace Ronnie Wood, but if Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, or Keith Richards were to be replaced, the die hard fans would shun the new project and it could never be the stones. The personel changes were in the second guitar slot (Brian Jones to Mick Taylor to Ronnie Wood) and Bass (Wyman retired in 1993, replaced by Daryl Jones at Charile Watts choosing).
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i hope keith is ok. he is wickedly awesome in my book, and i hate for this to be more serious than i originally thought. that link said something about a blood clot. lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Yeah I've heard various reports relating to the seriousness of the injury.
    First he was having surgery, then he wasn't. Now apparently he has to relieve pressure on the brain. He's up and talking is the latest I've heard so I'm guessing that's a good sign :)

LOL @ at the comment of a combination of a fall from a tree and a jet ski accident. WTF?!! :D

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nothing for nothing

and i wish all the best and a full recovery from his tumble

but

what the hell was he doing up in a palm tree ?
    couldnt he have sent his much younger, and i am guessing more agile/flexible wife to fetch him a coconut ? Perhaps that fishing tackle he wears in his hair got him tangled up in the branches. And how many drinks did he consume beforehand ?
    i mean really,....

feel better Keith
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    It is the Sun...but nonetheless....they have been accurate with him so far....lets wish Keith to good health...he is important to all walks of music!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/...78,00.html

Vigil for brain crush Keef

By VICTORIA NEWTON
    Showbiz Editor
    SEAN HAMILTON and
    GORDON SMART

ROCKER Keith Richards may NEVER play with The Rolling Stones again, docs warned yesterday.

The guitarist was last night battling in hospital after a second op to stop one part of his brain crushing the other.

And wife Patti Hansen — who is leading the family vigil at his bedside — has already been warned Keef’s days of performing live could be OVER.

Medics say he might end up brain damaged or partly paralysed due to falling from a palm tree on holiday.

Keith had planned to be in Barcelona, Spain, for the start of the band’s European leg of their Bigger Bang world tour.

But that is now clearly in doubt.

Patti has been joined at Keith’s bedside in Auckland, New Zealand by his two children with Anita Pallenburg — Marlon, 36, and Angela, 34.

A source close to the Stone said: “Everyone is worried sick about him.

“It is much more serious than The Rolling Stones camp have been letting people believe.

“Marlon has been in pieces. He has been saying he worries Keith may not recover.”

The star had been suffering blackouts following his first op last week to drain a blood clot from his skull.

Docs then discovered he had a “complete mid-line shift”, where one hemisphere of the brain collapses on to another.

They re-admitted him to the Ascot Hospital where world-renowned surgeon Edward Mee removed skull bone.

Bandmates Ronnie Wood, 58, and Charlie Watts, 64, have been phoning for updates from London.

Mick Jagger, 62, is thought to be in the US and also monitoring the situation.

The Stones put back the Barcelona gig from May 27 to June in the hope Keith could join them.

A spokesman said: “The band are very concerned. It is obvious he is going to need a lot of time to recover.”
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://www.livedaily.com/news/Keith_Richards_discharged_from_hospital-10067.html?t=97

Keith Richards discharged from hospital

May 11, 2006 11:45 AM
    by liveDaily Staff

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards (music) was discharged Wednesday (5/10) from the Ascot Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand.
    Richards was transferred to the hospital after he suffered what Stones publicist Fran Curtis called "a mild concussion" in an April 27 fall while vacationing in Fiji, about 1,300 miles away. Various outlets have reported that the concussion was the result of a fall from a palm tree, a fall from a personal watercraft, or both.

"He will be an outpatient returning to the hospital for check-ups," said a statement Curtis issued Wednesday.

After reportedly suffering from continued headaches, Richards underwent surgery earlier this week to relieve pressure in his skull, a procedure that Curtis said was successful. The guitarist did not suffer brain damage, according to the publicist.

The Stones' camp recently announced that, due to Richards' injury, the European leg of the group's "A Bigger Bang" tour will be delayed until June. It was originally scheduled to open later this month.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life