Hey Dylan fans!

BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I have a question;
Has anyone compared the sound between the original CD's of the albums (ex Highway 61) and the REmastered ones? I have a copy of '61 that I think is an old one, but my copy of Blonde on Blonde is remastered and sounds great. Anyone checked this out?
"Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I really like Bob Dylan, but I don't really have much material of him, so I can't help on that.

But in theory, the remastered albuns have always better sound.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have the highway 61 remastered and it sounds GREAT.

Like a Rolling Stone blares out of my stereo.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • I'm not sure about that, but i'll tell you that Dylan has a knack about making these incredible, warm sounding recordings.

My copy of Blonde on Blonde almost sounds like a vinyl!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BogoEN wrote:
    I have a question;
    Has anyone compared the sound between the original CD's of the albums (ex Highway 61) and the REmastered ones? I have a copy of '61 that I think is an old one, but my copy of Blonde on Blonde is remastered and sounds great. Anyone checked this out?

The remasters are better in every case.

The Blonde On Blonde remaster is remixed. Blonde On Blonde has actually been remixed more times than any other album in history. It was mixed 5 times for vinyl (3 mono, 2 stereo) and 4 times for CD (original CD, Gold CD, current CD/SACD remaster, 5.1 surround SACD). The latest CD/SACD remaster is the best attempt for the most part. The original mono mix is considered by most to be the "original" and best version of Blonde On Blonde. You can only get it on vinyl, but luckily, it has been reissued by the Sundazed label and it sounds better than ever.

Bringing It All Back Home has also been remixed on the current remaster and it sounds great. The old CD was a different remix but it's not as good. There are 4 versions total (original mono, original stereo, old CD, new CD).

Highway 61 Revisted, for some reason, has never been remixed. All vinyl and CD versions are the same mix. The current remaster is excellent and much better than the old CD. The absolute best version, however, is the gold CD that was released by DCC. It's out of print and expensive. The remaster is almost as good, however, and should be sufficient for just about anybody.

Another Side was also remixed, I believe, and it sounds great.

The first album is stereo on the old CD, and mono on the new one. Two different mixes but they both sound great, so you can't go wrong either way.

The "Blood On The Tracks" remaster is great. I thought the original CD was pretty good, but the new CD is even better.

The only other album to be remixed is "Street Legal". Fans are torn down the middle on this one. The new remix is sonically better but a lot of fans feel that some of the magic is lost. Of course, a lot of people also despise that album. I personally like it.

The "Biograph" box has been completely remastered and it is a big improvement over the old version.

Luckily, the Dylan remasters are excellent because the audio staff at Columbia/Sony in New York are the best in the world...unlike, for example, the staff at Abbey Road/EMI in London, who butcher everything they touch.

That's about it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
  • But in theory, the remastered albuns have always better sound.

In theory, yes. But the truth is that many rematsters are poor because record labels don't have audiophiles/vinyl lovers in mind. They want to please people who listen to music on Ipod's...so they remove all the hiss, which ruins the high end, they compress it to make it louder, and then they jack the volume into high heaven. The results are often atrocious. The Who remasters are a perfect example of this. The guy who does the Who remasters is one of the worst remastering engineers on the planet, but he continues to get work because he is Pete Thownsend's brother-in-law.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    The remasters are better in every case.

The Blonde On Blonde remaster is remixed. Blonde On Blonde has actually been remixed more times than any other album in history. It was mixed 5 times for vinyl (3 mono, 2 stereo) and 4 times for CD (original CD, Gold CD, current CD/SACD remaster, 5.1 surround SACD). The latest CD/SACD remaster is the best attempt for the most part. The original mono mix is considered by most to be the "original" and best version of Blonde On Blonde. You can only get it on vinyl, but luckily, it has been reissued by the Sundazed label and it sounds better than ever.

Bringing It All Back Home has also been remixed on the current remaster and it sounds great. The old CD was a different remix but it's not as good. There are 4 versions total (original mono, original stereo, old CD, new CD).

Highway 61 Revisted, for some reason, has never been remixed. All vinyl and CD versions are the same mix. The current remaster is excellent and much better than the old CD. The absolute best version, however, is the gold CD that was released by DCC. It's out of print and expensive. The remaster is almost as good, however, and should be sufficient for just about anybody.

Another Side was also remixed, I believe, and it sounds great.

The first album is stereo on the old CD, and mono on the new one. Two different mixes but they both sound great, so you can't go wrong either way.

The "Blood On The Tracks" remaster is great. I thought the original CD was pretty good, but the new CD is even better.

The only other album to be remixed is "Street Legal". Fans are torn down the middle on this one. The new remix is sonically better but a lot of fans feel that some of the magic is lost. Of course, a lot of people also despise that album. I personally like it.

The "Biograph" box has been completely remastered and it is a big improvement over the old version.

Luckily, the Dylan remasters are excellent because the audio staff at Columbia/Sony in New York are the best in the world...unlike, for example, the staff at Abbey Road/EMI in London, who butcher everything they touch.

That's about it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Wow. Well this is about as depthful a response as I could have hoped for. That's interesting that 61 was never remixed. I wonder why, although my guess would be that Dylan didn't want it touched for artistic reasons.

I didn't know EMI was that bad at remasters. I will then take back my wishes for the crappy Beatles CDs to be remastered. Send em to Sony I guess.
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...