Options

How is the new Flaming Lips?

BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Ive heard varied reveiws and am thinking of getting it.

Has anyone sen the dvd?
YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    I like it, not as much as The Soft Bulletin, but it's pretty good.

I'll admit I like the live disc they released in March better.

As far as the DVD, I'm assuming you're talking about the CD/DVD for "Mystics." Last I heard the release was going to be delayed. Which means I won't be picking it up, probably. I hate buying the same record twice, even if there's extra stuff.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I like it, not as much as The Soft Bulletin, but it's pretty good.

I'll admit I like the live disc they released in March better.

As far as the DVD, I'm assuming you're talking about the CD/DVD for "Mystics." Last I heard the release was going to be delayed. Which means I won't be picking it up, probably. I hate buying the same record twice, even if there's extra stuff.

Whats the name of the live disc? I hadnt heard much about that. I am slowly gettin into the Lips. Yoshimi rules.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Whats the name of the live disc? I hadnt heard much about that. I am slowly gettin into the Lips. Yoshimi rules.

20 Years of Weird: Flaming Lips 1986-2006. It's an updated version of a CD they gave away when they premiered the Fearless Freaks movie. Here's the track listing:

1. Wayne's Intro
    2. Free Radicals
    3. Enthusiasm for Life Defeats Existential Fear
    4. With You
    5. Whole Lotta Love/Can't Stop the Spring
    6. Shine on Sweet Jesus
    7. Space Age Love Song
    8. Moth in the Incubator
    9. When You Smile
    10. Sleeping on the Roof
    11. The Observer
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • Options
    Also, if you're just getting into them, the VOID DVD provides a good overview of their WB released records. :)
  • Options
    Never used to be a fan but the new albums really turned me on to them, a real diverse collection with influences from Prince & Floyd. Will definetly checking them out in more detail although trying to obtain their back cat on vinyl could be hard but thats what price us Vinyl fans make.

At War With the Mystics dosn't get released till 28th August on vinyl in the UK.
    but I'll suppose I'll wait. I'm Not buying the CD I'll make exception with PJ
  • Options
    It sucks. Get Yoshimi.
  • Options
    rucchinrucchin Posts: 25
    most reveiws have been luke warm but I think it's great. I play the album without skipping a track.
  • Options
    rucchin wrote:
    most reveiws have been luke warm but I think it's great. I play the album without skipping a track.

I play it without skipping anything, too. Haven't read too many reviews of the record, but I can see where someone might be disappointed after the one-two punch of Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. Two great records there.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Theres portions of a few songs I don't care for, but overall I think its a solid disc. Not as thematic as Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin, but I don't think its as much of a political album as the reviews tried to set it out to be. Vein of Stars and Pompeii am Gotterdumerang (spelling?) both are turning out to be the highlights of the album for me.

And the VOID dvd is great, not only do you get a great overview of the band through the years, but it's all mixed in surround, so you get some of the great early stuff that's not available on DVD yet in surround.

The Fearless Freaks DVD is worth purchasing for the scene of Wayne re-enacting the robbery at Long John Silvers alone. Its amazing just how honest and open this band is about their lives, and it comes through in this.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball