what's another good My Morning Jacket album?

deadnothingbetterdeadnothingbetter Posts: 2,202
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I own Z.... and i enjoy the album very much. any fans have other album recommendations by them?
This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It Still Moves is my fave album.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    It Still Moves... but you cannot go wrong with any one of them really.
  • cool thanks.... so where does Z stand in their best albums? is that one of them?
  • cool thanks.... so where does Z stand in their best albums? is that one of them?

It Still Moves
    Z
    At Dawn
    The Tennessee Fire

Their live album is pretty good too...Okonokos.

The have an EP called Chocolate and Ice...it's not bad.

There are also 2 rarites collections...The Sandworm Cometh and Learning...They're not bad, but some songs annoy me.
  • It Still Moves
    Z
    At Dawn
    The Tennessee Fire

Their live album is pretty good too...Okonokos.

The have an EP called Chocolate and Ice...it's not bad.

There are also 2 rarites collections...The Sandworm Cometh and Learning...They're not bad, but some songs annoy me.
    thanks.... i'm sure every band will come up with a few songs that will annoy even their best fans.
  • thanks.... i'm sure every band will come up with a few songs that will annoy even their best fans.

Word. :)
  • I got Z a couple of weeks ago and I'm absolutely in love with it. I can't stop listening to it. I just ordered Okonokos and I can't wait to get it. I figured that from the songs that I like the most on the concert will be the album that I'll buy next. Does this make sense? Anywho, I'm definitely gonna buy them all though. I think Carl is a great guitarist.
  • Z is my favorite. Looking forward to the new one, esp. how the article in RS talked about it having some gospel influences.....sounds interesting.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • It still Moves is my favorite album

and Tennessee Fire is friggin amazing.

just do yourself a favor and buy all of them theyre all sooo good
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I don't own any MMJ albums but I saw them at Lollapalooza this year and was impressed. I just haven't got around to buying an album yet. Should I start with Z?
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    oktacoma wrote:
    I don't own any MMJ albums but I saw them at Lollapalooza this year and was impressed. I just haven't got around to buying an album yet. Should I start with Z?
    If you have liked the show at lolla, start with okonokos...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • At Dawn and the live record are the two I listen to the most.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    oktacoma wrote:

Z or Okonosos

Okonosos is their live album and would give you a flavor of all their songs. It is pretty heavy on songs from Z. Getting the live album might give you the chance to determine which songs you like best and then go get those albums.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Z or Okonosos

Okonosos is their live album and would give you a flavor of all their songs. It is pretty heavy on songs from Z. Getting the live album might give you the chance to determine which songs you like best and then go get those albums.
    Cool deal. Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll probably start with the live album first.
  • Deadman wrote:
    It Still Moves... but you cannot go wrong with any one of them really.
    ^^^

All of their albums (all... 4?) are exceptional. Just buy something.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • at dawn. it's their masterpiece.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    It Still Moves is great but also get their live album if you want just a little taste of My Morning Jacket.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    So, I bought Okonokos, and am loving it!! I'm trying to decide which studio album I'm going to get first. Good stuff!! I love Wordless Chorus, Run Thru, and One Big Holiday, but they all are damn good. These guys remind me of a weird blend of Pink Floyd and the Allman Brothers.
  • One disappointment about Okonokos DVD...why is "Dancefloors" on the CD but not on the DVD? I love that song!
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    One disappointment about Okonokos DVD...why is "Dancefloors" on the CD but not on the DVD? I love that song!

My thoughts exactly! "Dancefloors" is one of my favorite MMJ songs.
  • Seriously, I have a huge man crush on Jim James, I find his voice haunting.

Also no one has mentioned this, Acoustica Citsuoca EP.

Five songs, totally stripped down and amazing.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Seriously, I have a huge man crush on Jim James, I find his voice haunting.

Also no one has mentioned this, Acoustica Citsuoca EP.

Five songs, totally stripped down and amazing.

i totally forgot about this release til just now!! i do love it, but i only have it on vinyl so i didn't remember i had it. the version of the bear on that record is amazing!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    at dawn. it's their masterpiece.

agree 100%. i love all their albums so you really can't go wrong, but this is hands down my favorite. at one point i considered it my favorite album ever made, but there are so many great albums that have been put out that it's hard to crown just one. but easily in my top 5-10 albums of all time.....i'd rate their albums in this order, excluding the ep's and demo recordings.....

1. at dawn
    2. it still moves
    3. z
    4. tennessee fire

i left okonokos out but that's a real good start for someone getting into the band. it's mostly songs from z and it still moves but still a good mix, and great versions of the songs. the dvd is also a must have if you dig the band.
    One disappointment about Okonokos DVD...why is "Dancefloors" on the CD but not on the DVD? I love that song!

yeah and i think i'm going to hell is not on the dvd either. oh well. just get both.
  • yeah and i think i'm going to hell is not on the dvd either. oh well. just get both.

There were really high quality vids of Bermuda Highway, At Dawn, I Think I'm Going To Hell, Strangulation, Sooner and Where To Begin released from those gigs. They're awesome, especially Bermuda Highway.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    There were really high quality vids of Bermuda Highway, At Dawn, I Think I'm Going To Hell, Strangulation, Sooner and Where To Begin released from those gigs. They're awesome, especially Bermuda Highway.:D

yeah, i saw some of those a while back on comcast concert on demand. wish they put them all on the dvd.
  • yeah, i saw some of those a while back on comcast concert on demand. wish they put them all on the dvd.

I've got them if anyone wants me to upload them.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I've got them if anyone wants me to upload them.

PLEASE!
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Okonokos is best