Everyone please read this....

deadnothingbetterdeadnothingbetter Posts: 2,202
edited April 2007 in Other Music
and you will find to very good links to music videos of Cafe Tacuba.... fans of Radiohead (the happier side, that is) and the Flaming Lips will enjoy this greatly... they're a mexican band so it's in spanish but hey mexicans listen to american music even Radiohead and the Flaming Lips too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkuGUIU2Og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UKg0sQn2gQ
This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• and you will find to very good links to music videos of Cafe Tacuba.... fans of Radiohead (the happier side, that is) and the Flaming Lips will enjoy this greatly... they're a mexican band so it's in spanish but hey mexicans listen to american music even Radiohead and the Flaming Lips too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkuGUIU2Og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UKg0sQn2gQ

No hablo.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    this is the only mexican band I like.
  • No hablo.
    hey the language barrier doesn't matter dude. i've gone to their concerts and they have lots of american fans that don't speak spanish. these guys even opened up for Beck in their earlier years. this is kind of the problem i thought would be or why people wouldn't be interested. most mexican bands get negative propaganda for their music... mostly i think cause as americans we start believing that we have the best music besides canada or europe. the rest of the world is just really strange music. but go to mexico and find lots of mexican fans of radiohead and the flaming lips who are also fans of cafe tacuba. many of these guys even learn english as their second language and those are the one's who actually live in mexico the rest of their lives and are very succesful... of course i'm speaking of the higher or middle class... really there isn't any middle class. the point is a band like cafe tacuba really breaks the barriers of hostility that there is in american and mexican culture. much of their music speaks of that. you can literally hear it in the sound of their music. it sounds american but with a little mexican sound twist to it. their album before cuatro caminos was a much more experimental album that i also recommend. the bottom line is these guys are great to compliment your ecclectic collection of the flaming lips and radiohead.
  • pouch15 wrote:
    this is the only mexican band I like.
    yes i agree with you... you're right about that.
    yes i agree with you... you're right about that.

And while Cuatro Caminos is one of the best albums of Cafe Tacuba I wil strongly recomend this albums and songs for Cafe Tacuba Starters:

RE ( listen to La ingrata, El Ciclon, Las Flores this one personally is my favorite)

REVES/ YO SOY (La Locomotora)

I dont know what else to put, its tought its reay a great band and all their albums are really amazing.
  • pouch15 wrote:
    And while Cuatro Caminos is one of the best albums of Cafe Tacuba I wil strongly recomend this albums and songs for Cafe Tacuba Starters:

RE ( listen to La ingrata, El Ciclon, Las Flores this one personally is my favorite)

REVES/ YO SOY (La Locomotora)

I dont know what else to put, its tought its reay a great band and all their albums are really amazing.
    yes... thank you. although i think La Ingrata would probably be a bit risky... if i put that song as the first song for them to listen they would assume all their music sounds the same and would label them as the regular mexican bands... but it's only a cover song of an old regional mexican song. they mixed it up sounding more a bit like ska-ish. if anything from Re to recommend would probably be El Ciclon, Verde/Pez, Tropico de Cancer.

Also from Reves/Yosoy: Reves, Dos Ninos, Guerra, Arboles Frutales (this song is amazing).

but if anything I think Cuatro Caminos is their second masterpiece following Reves/Yosoy. Cuatro Caminos goes head to head with Kid A, but you'd really have to listen to understand what I'm saying. It is a masterpiece. An album of monumental proportions. Seriously! besides Dave Fridmann, who has produced all three of Flaming Lips best albums (Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi and Mystics) also produced Cuatro Caminos so you can't go wrong with that. a producer is a great contributor to great albums. I can't wait for their new album coming up this year.
  • and also you gotta admit they're alot more attractive and cooler looking than Thom Yorke and the rest of Radiohead crew. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCytaigaqPw&mode=related&search=
    and also you gotta admit they're alot more attractive and cooler looking than Thom Yorke and the rest of Radiohead crew. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCytaigaqPw&mode=related&search=

How did you get into Cafe Tacuba?
    yes... thank you. although i think La Ingrata would probably be a bit risky... if i put that song as the first song for them to listen they would assume all their music sounds the same and would label them as the regular mexican bands... but it's only a cover song of an old regional mexican song. they mixed it up sounding more a bit like ska-ish. if anything from Re to recommend would probably be El Ciclon, Verde/Pez, Tropico de Cancer.

Also from Reves/Yosoy: Reves, Dos Ninos, Guerra, Arboles Frutales (this song is amazing).

but if anything I think Cuatro Caminos is their second masterpiece following Reves/Yosoy. Cuatro Caminos goes head to head with Kid A, but you'd really have to listen to understand what I'm saying. It is a masterpiece. An album of monumental proportions. Seriously! besides Dave Fridmann, who has produced all three of Flaming Lips best albums (Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi and Mystics) also produced Cuatro Caminos so you can't go wrong with that. a producer is a great contributor to great albums. I can't wait for their new album coming up this year.

Cuatro caminos is definetly one of the best albums of all time, Cafe Tacuba made me believe in latin music again, the only group that I liked in the past was Spda Stereo, and maybe Caifanes in the 80's
  • pouch15 wrote:
    How did you get into Cafe Tacuba?
    a friend of mine gave me a tape of a bunch of songs from Re and Avalanche de Exitos... i first heard it and i thought it was enjoyable. then i kept listening to it and i thought they were cool but wasn't really into it. not until i found there new release in 2003 Cuatro Caminos. i bought that album like back in 05 and have been a big fan of theirs since. i will go on to say that they're better than Pearl Jam...
  • pouch15 wrote:
    Cuatro caminos is definetly one of the best albums of all time, Cafe Tacuba made me believe in latin music again, the only group that I liked in the past was Spda Stereo, and maybe Caifanes in the 80's
    maldita vecindad ain't too bad... control machete is probably the second best next to Cafe Tacuba coming from Mexico.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    cuatro caminas????? a year or two ago I picked up a cafe tacuba cd for about 50p in a music exchange. It was a promo copy, had a sticker claiming it was the "mexican kidA", the packaging was white,,,,anyway I wasnt impressed, felt it sounded messy. Never held onto it.
    rodrigo y gabriela & julieta venegas I much prefer. when I saw the film amores perros I recall thinking there was a slice of these cafe tacuba somewhere.
    elmer wrote:
    cuatro caminas????? a year or two ago I picked up a cafe tacuba cd for about 50p in a music exchange. It was a promo copy, had a sticker claiming it was the "mexican kidA", the packaging was white,,,,anyway I wasnt impressed, felt it sounded messy. Never held onto it.
    rodrigo y gabriela & julieta venegas I much prefer. when I saw the film amores perros I recall thinking there was a slice of these cafe tacuba somewhere.

Well, Julieta Venegas is very easy to enjoy, yes I agree, and Rodrigo y Gabriela are very good, although nobody know them in Mexico because they sarted n te streets of Dublin. But dude, buy Re of Cafe Tacuba you are not gonna be dissapointed, believe me.
  • elmer wrote:
    cuatro caminos is actually better than kid a... i don't know how it would be messy... the album is nearly perfect. each song is consistently great... maybe it's just the style that you're not into which is very unique and unorthodox. and maybe you should've taken it time for it to grow on you... they are like a band like pink floyd that gradually grows on you.... pink floyd is one of those taht gradually takes time for you to like. when i first bought the album i thought it was ok and kinda boring, then after a month i understood that it was my favorite album. i'm sure in years to come it will be an album looked upon as a classic, like you would a band like pink floyd's dark side of the moon or any other great classic you can think of. of course not everyone will like it but for what it is, it's a great album. or maybe you're just not into that whole indy/ecclectic style. but if you are, then you should own this album. i am also predicting that Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comamoratum will be another great classic held upon as a pioneering work that by which many other great artists will be inspired by.
    pouch15 wrote:
    Well, Julieta Venegas is very easy to enjoy, yes I agree, and Rodrigo y Gabriela are very good, although nobody know them in Mexico because they sarted n te streets of Dublin. But dude, buy Re of Cafe Tacuba you are not gonna be dissapointed, believe me.
    well I in someway regret not holding onto the album I had just to be able to know I wasnt a little hasty in my judgement.
    I read somewhere that cafe tacuba & julieta venegas are familiar with each other, they helped her along in some way or something........i dunno
    cuatro caminos is actually better than kid a... i don't know how it would be messy... the album is nearly perfect. each song is consistently great... maybe it's just the style that you're not into which is very unique and unorthodox. and maybe you should've taken it time for it to grow on you... they are like a band like pink floyd that gradually grows on you.... pink floyd is one of those taht gradually takes time for you to like. when i first bought the album i thought it was ok and kinda boring, then after a month i understood that it was my favorite album. i'm sure in years to come it will be an album looked upon as a classic, like you would a band like pink floyd's dark side of the moon or any other great classic you can think of. of course not everyone will like it but for what it is, it's a great album. or maybe you're just not into that whole indy/ecclectic style. but if you are, then you should own this album. i am also predicting that Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comamoratum will be another great classic held upon as a pioneering work that by which many other great artists will be inspired by.
    well maybe I was wrong, for sure it didnt remind me of kidA which isnt anyhow a personal favourite of mine. Unorthodox yes for sure it maybe seemed to me, I think it was the vocals that most put me off though I cannot be sure. are they not shouty in an almost RATM style? If im ttotallly wrong ignore me
  • elmer wrote:
    well maybe I was wrong, for sure it didnt remind me of kidA which isnt anyhow a personal favourite of mine. Unorthodox yes for sure it maybe seemed to me, I think it was the vocals that most put me off though I cannot be sure. are they not shouty in an almost RATM style? If im ttotallly wrong ignore me
    their vocals is a bit nasal... which is probably the only thing that might give a bad rap to their name. but it actually grows on you... their vocals are nothing to the effect of ratm. their music is very melodic but their guitars are hard-edged. just go to the links i provided... it has music videos of theirs. their music is probably most comparable to the flaming lips but probably only because dave fridmann, who also directed the last three albums of the flaming lips, produced cuatro caminos. but the vocals are probably what you might ironically end up liking them for. the vocalist has a way of transcending you with his music. listen to mediodia and hoy es. their music is so american that you have no idea. i force a bunch of white people to listen to it all the time... they're kinda weirdish at first when listening to them then they end up liking them all the way. put this way, if there is a mexican rock band that you want to listen to these guys are it.

this is the harder side of theirs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_gr8Ak5Ck

this is their more experimental side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zbm5omdqjA

this is some of their more melodic side... and one of my favorite of theirs... it's very transcending
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtpuIUde7jE

this is another transcending one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTdGei1RWs&mode=related&search=
  • elmer wrote:
    well I in someway regret not holding onto the album I had just to be able to know I wasnt a little hasty in my judgement.
    I read somewhere that cafe tacuba & julieta venegas are familiar with each other, they helped her along in some way or something........i dunno
    meme... the keyboardist/vocalist of cafe tacuba produced one of her albums.
    their vocals is a bit nasal... which is probably the only thing that might give a bad rap to their name. but it actually grows on you... their vocals are nothing to the effect of ratm. their music is very melodic but their guitars are hard-edged. just go to the links i provided... it has music videos of theirs. their music is probably most comparable to the flaming lips but probably only because dave fridmann, who also directed the last three albums of the flaming lips, produced cuatro caminos. but the vocals are probably what you might ironically end up liking them for. the vocalist has a way of transcending you with his music. listen to mediodia and hoy es. their music is so american that you have no idea. i force a bunch of white people to listen to it all the time... they're kinda weirdish at first when listening to them then they end up liking them all the way. put this way, if there is a mexican rock band that you want to listen to these guys are it.

this is the harder side of theirs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_gr8Ak5Ck

this is their more experimental side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zbm5omdqjA

this is some of their more melodic side... and one of my favorite of theirs... it's very transcending
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtpuIUde7jE

this is another transcending one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTdGei1RWs&mode=related&search=

nice research jajajaja. Have you seen them live?

Actually No Controles is a cover, the original one is a very famous pop song from a chick group called Flans which makes it funny. Cafe Tacuba has a lot of covers including Ingrata as your told me. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rKAPUYmwHI
  • pouch15 wrote:
    nice research jajajaja. Have you seen them live?

Actually No Controles is a cover, the original one is a very famous pop song from a chick group called Flans which makes it funny. Cafe Tacuba has a lot of covers including Ingrata as your told me. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rKAPUYmwHI
    yes i saw them live here in austin. i was front row. it was a good show too. there was people of all kinds... whites, blacks, asians and hispanics all chanting to "mexico" it was badass. but my point in providing those clips is to get others to hear about them... and to actually get them into it. i saw a documentary on them and found out that they've only received a latin grammy award for "reves/yosoy" there was a little bit of hype in america about them when they released cuatro caminos. They appeared on the Conan O'brien show and Cuatro Caminos came out as one of the top 50 most important albums of 2003 on Blender Magazine earning a 38th spot. but they aren't as significant as other bands that are all the way on the otherside of the world such as Franz Ferdinand or Arctic Monkeys or bands of that sort. when it really comes down to it Mexico is right next to us but Cafe Tacuba has no landmark or any significant reputation with America like they truly deserve even while being much better than those european bands... cause they really are. maybe they should make an english album, although they don't speak very good english they still speak it. or maybe it's that i'm on a pearl jam forum board that most of these pearl jam fans don't have an ecclectic taste in music so maybe Cafe Tacuba will probably be more popular in other social groups... i dunno, cause nobody seems to know about them here. except for that one guy that actually got rid of the album.