Optimistic by Radiohead

deadnothingbetterdeadnothingbetter Posts: 2,202
edited July 2007 in Other Music
i looooooooooove that song.... then followed by In Limbo.... gawwwwwd, it's almost like drinking a banana/strawberry shake.... cause it's so damn good.

any fans?
This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i love this song...one of the few songs on Kid A i can say that about
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    LedZepFan wrote:
    i love this song...one of the few songs on Kid A i can say that about

I hear ya... I'm the same way.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • why don't many people like that album on here? it's my favorite by radiohead.... it's weird... i thought Kid A was supposed to be like their best album.
  • Brian V.Brian V. Posts: 51
    I like In Limbo a little better.. but its definitely a great one two punch.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i haven't listened to this album in ages. think i need to spin it after the one i'm listening to now (R.E.M. - up)

i like optimistic, but probably less than most of the other tracks on kid a. the ok computer thread made me do this:

the national anthem
    idioteque
    how to disappear completely
    motion picture soundtrack
    kid a
    everything in its right place
    morning bell
    in limbo
    optimistic
    treefingers
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    why don't many people like that album on here? it's my favorite by radiohead.... it's weird... i thought Kid A was supposed to be like their best album.

i think a lot of people consider it sort of a glorified noise experiment. personally, i think The Bends and OK Computer were just worlds better. I also love Hail to the Thief, I gotta say that is also much better.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i looooooooooove that song.... then followed by In Limbo.... gawwwwwd, it's almost like drinking a banana/strawberry shake.... cause it's so damn good.

any fans?

yes! i love the way the music blends into in limbo, same w/ morning bell...altho i don't like banana so no to that part
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • yeah, most definitely one of my favorite radiohead tracks, and the one that sticks out on Kid A, since it's different than the feel of the rest of the album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Kid A is a good album but i have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to it, optimistic is probably the only song i can take from that album and always feel like listening to it
  • JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    Kid A (and the good tracks off Amnesiac) is a great album.

A lot of people can't get by the fact that they switch away from 2 or 3 guitars, bass and drums. At the same time, techno fans think it's a poor attempt at techno. It's one of those albums where you either get it or you don't, I suppose. Its minimalist lyrics, which I like a lot, are a sore spot for a lot of people.

Optimistic is a great song though.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • Jerzdevil wrote:
    Kid A (and the good tracks off Amnesiac) is a great album.

A lot of people can't get by the fact that they switch away from 2 or 3 guitars, bass and drums. At the same time, techno fans think it's a poor attempt at techno. It's one of those albums where you either get it or you don't, I suppose. Its minimalist lyrics, which I like a lot, are a sore spot for a lot of people.

Optimistic is a great song though.
    i know... i can totally understand this... i guess i'm one of the few that gets this album... however, i can't see how it's a poor attempt on techno... electronica maybe .... i always figured that kid a was radiohead's best album... it was a different perspective at rock... it's a more creative and eclectic attempt than it is techno... the only song i don't really care for is the morning bell but all the rest of the songs are superb... i don't even think ok computer is that great really... of course people will disagree with me... i guess, i will never get why radiohead fans don't appreciate kid a just like they will never get why i don't appreciate ok computer... is there any way to make sense of it?
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Optimistic is the ONLY song from their post OK Computer stuffs that I can listen to. It's the only reason why Kid A debuted at no 1 on the Billboard 200 charts.
  • i looooooooooove that song.... then followed by In Limbo.... gawwwwwd, it's almost like drinking a banana/strawberry shake.... cause it's so damn good.

any fans?

thats funny you said that, because i was just talking to a friend of mine about Radio Head, and mentioned that optimistic is one of my favorite songs, i love the feel of it and the mood
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    great song from a great album.

idioteque
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • bestsane wrote:
    Optimistic is the ONLY song from their post OK Computer stuffs that I can listen to. It's the only reason why Kid A debuted at no 1 on the Billboard 200 charts.
    i don't know about that... i have lots of friends who are big fans of kid a.... except not on these forums.... i don't like any of their stuff prior to ok computer... i think it's garbage, but that's me... if it weren't for kid a, amnesiac, hail to the thief i don't think i'd of been a big fan of radiohead.... but because of those albums i can appreciate ok computer a lot more.... except for pablo honey and the bends, they just sound like most other bands of that time doing the grunge/rock alternative stuff..

the entire kid a album has this feeling to it that makes it so legendary... and it's one of the best albums i own... i also own their bends, ok comp, i practically own everything from theirs but kid a is the one that nails it for me... it's what makes them an important and serious band... at least in my list. and i would think the only reason why kid a nailed the 200 billboard charts was because alot of critics were hailing that album as one of the best albums of modern rock... they really made a breakthrough with this album... my friend who is 30 said when it released people were actually waiting in lines at the store before it even opened just for kid a... it redefined the sound in rock... everything about the album has something unconventional....something you wouldn't consider rock prior to the year they released it.... so because of it alot of fans were expecting so much of it... but just like some other guy said, you either get it, or you don't... i for one do... and sure damn happy i got the album...